ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning BRP within 5 Days

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eddybaloch

Returning BRP within 5 Days

Post by eddybaloch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:20 am

Hi,

I got my approval letter on Thursday and had a private ceremony on Friday last week (applied for passport straight afterwards). Neither the approval letter or the registrar mentioned anything about returning BRP within 5 Days. I asked the questions to the registrar and she said that they have heard about it but not got any instructions whatsoever from the Home Office.

I need to travel in 3 weeks time so am just considering whether I should keep the BRP as a backup? Any advice will be highly appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Returning BRP within 5 Days

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 am

£1000 if you do not return the BRP within 5 days. Passports seem to be taking about 2 weeks at the moment.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 00820.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:15 am

I have not been communicated by Home Office about returning my BRP. This was not a requirement in the form or HO guidance at the time of submitting my application. Is the onus on me to check home office website everyday?

How strong is the above argument?

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by zahmed05 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:37 am

ignorance of law isn't an excuse.

The BRP is invalid anyways once you get naturalized. You will be fine boarding the plane but can have issues clearing immigration as your BRP gets invalid after ceremony.

I'll get a passport before i travel if i will be on your place.

Bc4indian

Post by Bc4indian » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:57 am

CR001 wrote:£1000 if you do not return the BRP within 5 days. Passports seem to be taking about 2 weeks at the moment.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 00820.html
Hi CR001,

Is this rule applicable to the people naturalised last year November?

or this is only for people who got Naturalisation using new December form?

Thanks

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Thank you very much for your responses.

The new form AN section 6.11 has a specific provision for this. I believe this that this only applies to people who have actually ticked "No" box. This way you are signing a commitment of returning BRP within 5 days. In my case, neither Home Office have communicated any desire to me in their approval letter ( which is dated 11 Jan i.e. post update on website) nor the registrar communicated any requirement to me.

Obviously this is my personal interpretation and I might be absolutely wrong.

Anyways, I will NOT be returning my BRP until I get my passport (I have 3 weeks before my travel so hopefully I'll get it in time). I will let you know if I get any fine or not.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:01 pm

eddybaloch wrote:Thank you very much for your responses.

The new form AN section 6.11 has a specific provision for this. I believe this that this only applies to people who have actually ticked "No" box. This way you are signing a commitment of returning BRP within 5 days. In my case, neither Home Office have communicated any desire to me in their approval letter ( which is dated 11 Jan i.e. post update on website) nor the registrar communicated any requirement to me.

Obviously this is my personal interpretation and I might be absolutely wrong.

Anyways, I will NOT be returning my BRP until I get my passport (I have 3 weeks before my travel so hopefully I'll get it in time). I will let you know if I get any fine or not.

I think I agree with you... the home office hasn't communicated properly with people who has applied on the AN forms before the new January 2016 versions....

I personally think that they have to communicate about the fines at the start of once's application.... not when they did like to... also the website (gov.uk) doesn't mention any dates when the applicants has to start sending the BRP from...

On the other side, Yes its true that the BRP card becomes invalid after we are naturalised... so if you had to travel using the BRP card... it might be an issue...(I hope it is just an issue of £1000)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Do keep up updated about any developments, eddybaloch.

For those interested in reading up further, the regulations that govern biometric residence permits are laid out in The Immigration (Biometric Registration) Regulations 2008, as amended from time to time. The regulations are authorised by Section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007 and the penalty and appeals procedure are listed in Sections 9 to 14 of the Act.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ScopeD
Member of Standing

Post by ScopeD » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:21 am

Thursday the 28th of January 2016, I take the oath or swear or whatever it is that Teresa May wants me to do. I'm taking a scissors to the ceremony with me. Why? Because immediately after the "l do" part (if ever they want me to say something like "till death do us part"), I'll cut that little piece of plastic containing an unflattering picture of me looking like the pathetic immigrant that I was considered to be before BC, put the fragments into a brown envelope, and toss it into the next post box on my way out of the ceremony. That piece of cheap plastic, for which I was made to pay thousands of pounds, is crap and must go back to where it belongs.

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by zahmed05 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:40 am

Thursday the 28th of January 2016, I take the oath or swear or whatever it is that Teresa May wants me to do. I'm taking a scissors to the ceremony with me. Why? Because immediately after the "l do" part (if ever they want me to say something like "till death do us part"), I'll cut that little piece of plastic containing an unflattering picture of me looking like the pathetic immigrant that I was considered to be before BC, put the fragments into a brown envelope, and toss it into the next post box on my way out of the ceremony. That piece of cheap plastic, for which I was made to pay thousands of pounds, is crap and must go back to where it belongs.
nobody forced you to pay thousands for that cheap plastic. you had an option to leave :) we should learn to respect the law of the country feeding our families every days :) if one isn't happy, there is a flight to back home everyday.

ScopeD
Member of Standing

Post by ScopeD » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:06 am

zahmed05 wrote:
nobody forced you to pay thousands for that cheap plastic. you had an option to leave :) we should learn to respect the law of the country feeding our families every days :) if one isn't happy, there is a flight to back home everyday.
No disrespect zahmed05, but you've completely misunderstood my message. Neither did I indicate any intentions to disrespect the law. On the contrary, cutting the BRP to pieces and sending it back to the Home Office is the correct way, the required compliance with the law, and that is the message I'm trying to convey here. See, this means I've already "learned" to respect the law as you've suggested. I'm not sure why you've concluded that I'm not happy complying with the law here when I'm actually advocating for compliance.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:47 am

ScopeD wrote:Thursday the 28th of January 2016, I take the oath or swear or whatever it is that Teresa May wants me to do. I'm taking a scissors to the ceremony with me. Why? Because immediately after the "l do" part (if ever they want me to say something like "till death do us part"), I'll cut that little piece of plastic containing an unflattering picture of me looking like the pathetic immigrant that I was considered to be before BC, put the fragments into a brown envelope, and toss it into the next post box on my way out of the ceremony. That piece of cheap plastic, for which I was made to pay thousands of pounds, is crap and must go back to where it belongs.
Hilarious... nicely put
zahmed05 wrote:we should learn to respect the law of the country feeding our families every days
“if you want me to respect the law, make the law respectable.” - Emmeline Pankhurst
I think if no one critises the law... there wouldn't have been civilised societies like that UK.... would have been in the middle of a jungle
take it easy mate

littlemaiden
Newly Registered

Post by littlemaiden » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:44 pm

ScopeD's post actually made me smile. Zahmed05 where is your sense of humour? :D :D

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:45 pm

saanju9 wrote:I think if no one critises the law... there wouldn't have been civilised societies like that UK.... would have been in the middle of a jungle
By all means, critically analyse and critique the law, but do it constructively and having thought through the ramifications of the alternative that you propose.

And however much you dislike the law, do not disrespect it. It is an expression of the feelings of the community you live in, in a codified manner.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 am

secret.simon wrote:
saanju9 wrote:I think if no one critises the law... there wouldn't have been civilised societies like that UK.... would have been in the middle of a jungle
By all means, critically analyse and critique the law, but do it constructively and having thought through the ramifications of the alternative that you propose.
Yes Sir

And however much you dislike the law, do not disrespect it. It is an expression of the feelings of the community you live in, in a codified manner.

I am not sure I can respect something if I dislike it...Saying that... Not following law, is however a different story all together... they are two different things altogether...to me atleast