ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM applicants for BC--what is "too long" a wait from UKBA?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Will47786

Re: UKM applicants for BC--what is "too long" a wait from UK

Post by Will47786 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:52 am

I applied in early October 2015. Did my biometrics on Nov 3 / 2015. Received an email from the case worker requesting a specific document on Dec 10 / 2015. Forwarded that document via email on Dec 17 / 2015. Acknowledgement of the document was received from the same case worker on Dec 29 / 2015. So now it's been over 3 months. I applied as a UKM born before 1983. Can anyone in this thread advise if they're having a similar delay? They wanted a birth certificate from my Province of birth that had my parentage on it. The original I sent with my entire application back on October 5 /2015 didn't have that in it as at the time birth certificate issued didn't include that information. So I quickly obtained it and emailed it as soon as I received it. Just wondering what kind of timelines UKM and UKF applicants have on average. Thanks.

Krystal2591
Newly Registered

Post by Krystal2591 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:19 am

Hi guys,

This has been a long journey. I'm applying using the UKF, same as UKM but through father. Timeline:

1) Docs received in Liverpool mid-October, account charged around the same time
2) Received letter a couple weeks after stating the biometric stations aren't up and running in the US. (PS I'm not a US citizen, I'm a student here from Jamaica.) They said I could do it in Canada but well...I need back my passport to do that.
3) All through November I called/emailed and pestered them to send back my passport. Multiple times. My dad also did the same. I gave up in December and the last thing I did was to send them a formal letter stating my woes.

They said they would get back to us by January the latest on biometrics stations in the US. Has anyone heard back? Has anyone been able to get back their passport?

Will47786

Post by Will47786 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 am

Eligibility criteria:UKM born before 1983
Language criteria met: not applicable
Nationality: Canadian
Method of application: Mailed from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Date of application: October 5 / 2015 (date mailed from Vancouver, BC)
Payment method: Credit Card
Date of receipt by UKBA: October 9 / 2015 (tracked via Canada Post and confirmed received that date)
Date of acknowledgement : October 19 / 2015 ( received by me on October 28/2015)
Date money gone off account: October 13 / 2015 ( credit card charged the citizenship ceremony fee)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: October 19 / 2015 [/b]( sent via Royal Mail - all original documents received back)
Biometrics done: November 3 / 2015 (in Vancouver BC at VFS Global office)
Date of request for additional documentation December 10 / 2015
***** Email request from a case worker at the Home Office *************
Request for a birth certificate confirming parentage (the one submitted and returned did not have this information as the year when it was issued the Province where I was born didn't list such information on said document.

Date additional documentation was provided: December 17 / 2015 - aforementioned document was received, scanned and emailed to the case worker at the generic email address he contacted me from and instructed me to send the requested information )document).
December 24 / 2015 - same document and email was forwarded again to the case worker after no reply for a week on the original email
Date of acknowledgment of receipt of document by the case worker: December 29 / 2015 - acknowledgement via email from noted case worker that the document had been received, no other comments provided.
Date of approval : Waiting
Date of ceremony :
Date applied for passports :
Date passports received :

So far just over 13 weeks since I applied and no word back. Hope other UKM/UKF applicants are having success and share any and all helpful bits of info. Thanks!!!!

Will47786

Post by Will47786 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:54 am

If anyone has any problems with the VFS Global online appointment and payment system I want you all to know this information to email them:

I had no luck getting an appointment online but I was charged the 10 pound fee twice.

Try this email address:

UKVI.Feedback.Ca@vfshelpline.com

In the subject line put ATTENTION DUTY MANAGER.

I also included my phone contact information both home and mobile. I kept sending the same email with the date and time as well to emphasize I wanted a reply. I would update each email with 2nd request etc with the time and date to document all of my efforts. Someone called me if I recall within 24-48 hours of (2) emails. I was able to make an appointment and provide my biometric information.

Tips on the biometric appointment when completing the process in Vancouver, BC:

If you need to park in Vancouver, BC downtown try to find a parking garage as opposed to on the street. There are many in the area of VFS but it isn't always cheap. I'd pay for 2 hours at the most.

Also when you get to the building you've got to take the elevator to the 20th floor I believe but I can't recall. There is no sign saying VFS global as it is on the floor where it appears a bunch of small offices all share the same area. If I recall correctly it was a large open reception area that was fairly evident when I got off the elevator and I went and asked the receptionist if I was on the correct floor etc.

The receptionist was friendly just make sure you tell her that you're there for a biometrics appointment with VFS. She went and got someone for me almost immediately.

They'll have you turn off any phones, ipads, laptops etc so unless you need any of those things perhaps leave them in your hotel, at home wherever they'll be safe. Otherwise VFS will hold on to them until you're appointment is done. The actual biometrics in total really takes less than 10 minutes once they do the digital photos and fingerprints. However they do ask for your letter and passport and complete some work on a computer so also make sure you have those key documents. I can't say what the computer work involved but it must have been relevant as my passport and the biometrics letter was required and referred to during that process.
Note: There are many coffee shops in that area of Vancouver so if you need a beverage they're all within walking distance.

The man I dealt with from VFS on the phone when they called and the day of my appointment was the same and he was very polite and efficient. They deal with visa applications etc so you may have others in there as well. They seem to have 2 offices side by side and a security guard always seems to be hovering around. Once I was done the fingerprints and photos they gave me my letter back and I received a receipt as well (due to the issues I had with them booking on line I couldn't print one from the website). Good luck!!

I hope this helps someone with VFS when encountering issues that's the reason I posted this on the thread for everyones benefit. Cheers

Will

Krystal2591
Newly Registered

Post by Krystal2591 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:18 pm

Guys!!!!! I just got back my passport from Liverpool! My application is still being processed but now I can fly to Canada to do my biometrics. In case you're wondering how:

1) I called 011443001232253 multiple times to request it back
2) I was told to fill out the passport return form here https://www.gov.uk/visa-documents-returned
3) Did that didn't get it back
4) Filled out the enquiry form on the same page
5) Didn't get it back
6) Called then back, told them my predicament and they gave me a "case". Said I would get a call from a case worker who would work on my "case"
7) Worker called me and I missed the call twice
8) Didn't call back
9) Called them again and said they the worker won't call back. The worker will just work on my case.
10) Didn't get the passport.
11) Called back and they said to email complaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk with all my application details.
12) I also sent a formal letter to Liverpool with all my details
13) Got it back today.

Will47786

Post by Will47786 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 pm

Krystal2591 wrote:Guys!!!!! I just got back my passport from Liverpool! My application is still being processed but now I can fly to Canada to do my biometrics. In case you're wondering how:

2) I was told to fill out the passport return form here https://www.gov.uk/visa-documents-returned
5) Didn't get it back
6) Called then back, told them my predicament and they gave me a "case". Said I would get a call from a case worker who would work on my "case"
8) Didn't call back
9) Called them again and said they the worker won't call back. The worker will just work on my case.
11) Called back and they said to email complaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk with all my application details.
13) Got it back today.
Where are you applying from? USA? If you have to use VFS Global in Vancouver see some other posts in case you have any issues online with the appointments et al

For the benefits of others applying I was able to send a notarized copy of my passport and didn't send my actual passport with my application and that was fine.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:35 pm

It's just so hilarious how uniformly incompetent these people are. Looking at the tragicomic amount of work that you had to do in order to accomplish what should have been a routine task, and the number of instances in which they got things wrong or didn't even bother to respond in any way, I recall the similar complications - needless complications - that have characterised every single stage of my application and those of several people whose accounts I've read on this forum and elsewhere. It seems that they're not very good at what they do. When they just get something right without first having to drag the applicant through a labyrinth of bureaucratic horrors replete with dead ends and scary monsters, that is an exception and it feels like a miracle. Even when we do come out of the labyrinth, battered and thoroughly exhausted but clutching the tiny prize which we had initially sought, we feel uncommonly blessed. How they lower our expectations. I can't even tell if they're hopelessly incapable or deeply Machiavellian. (I don't think, however, that a Machiavellian entity would be as bad at spelling as the Home Office).

Best of luck with your biometrics, congratulations on finally getting your passport back, and let's hope that all of our applications go smoothly from here, because goodness knows we've been through enough. (I waited eight months just for biometrics after a series of entirely unnecessary ordeals. Enough said).

Remember that if you have any problems booking your appointment online, you can contact UKVI.Feedback.ca@vfshelpline.com and you should receive a reply from a human being within a couple of days. This contrasts rather starkly with the usual autoreplies telling us to go to useless websites, claims of replies within twenty business days followed by no replies at all, and other woeful phenomena with which we have become sadly familiar in our dealings with the Home Office (I'm not using the Royal We but referring to other applicants with whom I've been in contact).

Good luck with your Canadian adventure!

Will47786

Post by Will47786 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:40 am

Seems to me that UKF/UKM people have to wait infinitely longer than anyone else. In most cases this isn't some kind of mysterious, enormously time consuming or labour intensive job. Either the documents match up and prove our heritage via our parents or they don't. It seems that the process is quick to charge our credit or debit cards but after that everything slows down to something akin to a crawl. A slow one at that!!! Even slower if you apply from overseas such as USA, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand or Australia. So frustrating!!!

matkirk
Newly Registered

Post by matkirk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:27 am

Eligibility criteria: UKM
Nationality: South Africa
Applying from: South Africa
Method of application: Courier (to agency in UK)
Date of application: 07/12/2015
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKBA: Application handed in by agency on 11/12/2015
Date money gone off account: 10/12/2015 (via agency)
Date of acknowledgement: 26/01/2016 (letter dated 12/01/2016)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 26/01/2016 (letter dated 12/01/2016)
Biometrics done: Scheduled for 03/02/2016 in Cape Town
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:

I also received the letter explaining that the application might take longer than 6 months as my case is a complex one. This letter is dated 16/01/2016.

Will47786

Post by Will47786 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:43 am

My case is simple. My documents were all received on October 9th. My Mom was born in Britain. Later she moved to Canada and married my Dad. She was still a citizen of the U.K. when I was born. I sent in all her documents including an expired UK passport. As well as all of my documents. I got asked for a birth certificate showing my parentage in mid December last year. Reason being when I was born the province didn't issue them with parentage. So I obtained the new style one and sent that via email on Dec 17 and then 24 th again as I'd receive no reply. On Dec 29th I received an email acknowledgement the updated birth certificate had been received. Very simply case with all the supporting documents. No criminal record. No criminal charges. So they've had the only document they've requested of me for almost a month now. I see others applying and their timelines are much quicker it seems. However we as UKM and UKF applicants seem to be ignored or held in lower priority despite applying well ahead of others and having what I'd characterize as simple cases. Frustrating.

matkirk
Newly Registered

Post by matkirk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:06 am

Yes there seems to be a lot of inconsistency. My application is still early days (only just under two months) but I can imagine the frustration of those who have had to wait unreasonably long periods.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:25 am

I applied in May and I waited eight months only to do the biometrics. I too have an astoundingly straightforward case: I supplied more than the materials requested (foolishly trying to 'be on the safe side' by supplying additional proof of eligibility) and needless to say, I have no criminal record, nor have I ever had so much as a parking ticket in my entire life; yet people who applied in November are now being approved while I am left in limbo for no discernible reason.

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Krystal2591 wrote:Guys!!!!! I just got back my passport from Liverpool! My application is still being processed but now I can fly to Canada to do my biometrics. In case you're wondering how:

5) Didn't get it back
8) Didn't call back
13) Got it back today.
Kystral,

when you tried to have your documents back using the government site, you clicked you were applying in the UK or outside?

I am also trying to have my passport back. I live in Brazil and sent my documents to Liverpool using DHL.

The problem is: the site say I should contact "visa application center" if I applied outside UK, but I contacted "visa application center" and they have no idea what I am talking about.

On the other hand, if I say I am applying in the UK, the site doesn't accept my Brazilian zipcode.

So, basically, I can't have my documents back.

And your documents were returned in normal mail service or in a secure service?

Cheers!

JacqHugh
Newly Registered

Post by JacqHugh » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:02 am

I already had my biometrics done at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Adelaide, South Australia. I had thought of applying for a visa before I realised I discovered I could apply for Citizenship by Descent. Hopefully this makes the process a bit quicker!

matkirk
Newly Registered

Post by matkirk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Just an update:

Applying from: South Africa, Cape Town
Method of application: Courier - DHL (to agency in UK)
Biometrics done: 03/02/2016 in Cape Town
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date passports received:

Now that Biometrics is done I suppose the real wait starts.

SK413
Newly Registered

Post by SK413 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi to all.
I emailed HO on Monday as 6 weeks had pass and I had not heard from them about my citizenship ceremony.
Hey presto on Tuesday morning I get an email from the British embassy here asking me to choose either the week beginning 22 February or week beginning 14 March for my ceremony.
23rd February is the date for my ceremony.
Hope all those waiting get their good news.

mbianco21
Newly Registered

Post by mbianco21 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:55 pm

Hello:

I too am waiting for my ceremony letter. I am at the 4-week mark today. I live in Arizona, so I believe my consulate is in Los Angeles. What state do you live in and what consulate is responsible for your state or region? I am assuming you are in the USA??

Thank you very much.

SK413
Newly Registered

Post by SK413 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:10 am

mbianco21 wrote:Hello:

I too am waiting for my ceremony letter. I am at the 4-week mark today. I live in Arizona, so I believe my consulate is in Los Angeles. What state do you live in and what consulate is responsible for your state or region? I am assuming you are in the USA??

Thank you very much.
Hi.
Sorry I'm not in the USA. I'm from Barbados.
If you don't hear from them in 6 weeks email them. Your letter has the email address.
At 5 weeks I went to the embassy here and ask if they had any info on my ceremony, (I did not mention my name, just that my application was successful and I have not received any letter yet). The email the embassy sent me said, "you came last week and inquired about your Naturalisation certificate and ceremony, I can confirm we have received the documents from HO..........".
I guess your documents will be sent to the Consulate responsible for your area and they will contact you.
You don't have long to wait now. :)
All the best.

Krystal2591
Newly Registered

Post by Krystal2591 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:38 am

bright_star wrote:

5) Didn't get it back
8) Didn't call back
13) Got it back today.
Kystral,

when you tried to have your documents back using the government site, you clicked you were applying in the UK or outside?

I am also trying to have my passport back. I live in Brazil and sent my documents to Liverpool using DHL.

The problem is: the site say I should contact "visa application center" if I applied outside UK, but I contacted "visa application center" and they have no idea what I am talking about.

On the other hand, if I say I am applying in the UK, the site doesn't accept my Brazilian zipcode.

So, basically, I can't have my documents back.

And your documents were returned in normal mail service or in a secure service?

Cheers!

Yea, I had that same problem because I was applying from the US. I ended up putting my dads address in the UK and putting a special note at the bottom not to actually send it to him but to the US address on my application.

SandraArchangel
Newly Registered

Post by SandraArchangel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:58 am

Hi All.

Just an "Update" .... there is none. :? I was so hoping i wouldn't have to wait the 6 months because a lot of my friends didn't but hey looks like i got a "busy" case worker doing my application. :lol: My time line is as follows for those of you who want to know. (applying from Cape Town South Africa)

Eligibility criteria: UKM (decent by Mum, and born before 1983)
Method of application: Through a company called "Move Up" in Cape Town South Africa
Date of sent to Liverpool office: 1 September 2015
Date of receipt by UK Liverpool HO: 03/09/2015
Date of debit of fees: not sure as the funds were taken from Move Up but they confirmed it was taken
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: Never received anything
Date of Biometric Enrollment: Received a letter dated 5 October 15 and had the (B/E) done 2 November 2015
Date of receipt of approval: Waiting
Date of Ceremony: Waiting

Good luck all!

SandraArchangel
Newly Registered

Post by SandraArchangel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:01 am

matkirk wrote:Eligibility criteria: UKM
Applying from: South Africa
Method of application: Courier (to agency in UK)
Biometrics done: Scheduled for 03/02/2016 in Cape Town
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date passports received:

I also received the letter explaining that the application might take longer than 6 months as my case is a complex one. This letter is dated 16/01/2016.

Who are you working through? Here is my timeline

Eligibility criteria: UKM (decent by Mum, and born before 1983)
Method of application: Through a company called Move Up in Cape Town South Africa
Date of sent to Liverpool office: 1 September 2015
Date of receipt by UK Liverpool HO: 03/09/2015
Date of debit of fees: not sure as the funds were taken from Move Up but they confirmed it was taken
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: Never received anything
Date of Biometric Enrollment: Received a letter dated 5 October 15 and had the (B/E) done 2 November 2015
Date of receipt of approval: Waiting

Sandra

SandraArchangel
Newly Registered

Post by SandraArchangel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:08 am

matkirk wrote:Just an update:

Applying from: South Africa, Cape Town
Method of application: Courier - DHL (to agency in UK)
Biometrics done: 03/02/2016 in Cape Town
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date passports received:

Now that Biometrics is done I suppose the real wait starts.
Let the "Waiting game begin" I am surprised you received acknowledgment from them. I didn't get anything from them only the letter requesting me to go for my Biometric. I am almost at the 6 month mark so i hope they don't need anything from me once i call them on the 1 March 16. Why would your application be complex though? Did they indicate why they say so? I really hope they don't come after 6 months and say the same thing to me.

matkirk
Newly Registered

Post by matkirk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:22 am

I'm doing mine through Philip Gamble. Very happy with their service so far. All letters went to them, which they then emailed to me. I received the acknowledgement letter, biometrics letter and "complex case" letter all at the same time. They were dated only a few days apart.

Will47786

Post by Will47786 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:59 pm

**************** UPDATE!!!!!*****************************

Eligibility criteria:UKM born before 1983
Language criteria met: not applicable
Nationality: Canadian
Method of application: Mailed from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Date of application: October 5 / 2015 (date mailed from Vancouver, BC)
Payment method: Credit Card
Date of receipt by UKBA: October 9 / 2015 (tracked via Canada Post and confirmed received that date)
Date of acknowledgement : October 19 / 2015 ( received by me on October 28/2015)
Date money gone off account: October 13 / 2015 ( credit card charged the citizenship ceremony fee)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: October 19 / 2015 [/b]( sent via Royal Mail - all original documents received back)
Biometrics done: November 3 / 2015 (in Vancouver BC at VFS Global office)
Date of request for additional documentation December 10 / 2015
***** Email request from a case worker at the Home Office *************
Request for a birth certificate confirming parentage (the one submitted and returned did not have this information as the year when it was issued the Province where I was born didn't list such information on said document.
Date additional documentation was provided: December 17 / 2015 - aforementioned document was received, scanned and emailed to the case worker at the generic email address he contacted me from and instructed me to send the requested information )document).
December 24 / 2015 - same document and email was forwarded again to the case worker after no reply for a week on the original email
Date of acknowledgment of receipt of document by the case worker: December 29 / 2015 - acknowledgement via email from noted case worker that the document had been received, no other comments provided.
Date of approval : Received approval today (Feb 5th / 2015 via E-mail)
Date of ceremony : March 10th / 2015 at the British Consulate-General in Vancouver!!!!!
Date applied for passports :
Date passports received :

Approval as of today is the 4 month mark from when I sent my application via Canada Post to the Home Office!!!! I was disappointed when I checked my mailbox this afternoon and all that I received was some junk mail. This makes my day!!! Can't wait for the ceremony in just over a month!!!!

elizababa
Newly Registered

Post by elizababa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:27 pm

Hello all,

Just an update: I received my UKM claim approval form today. Now I await my ceremony letter! Almost there!! :D

Eligibility Criteria: UKM (born overseas to a British mother prior to 1983)
Nationality: USA (living in California)
Method of Application: Fedex International Priority USA to UKVI Liverpool
Date of Sending Application: 02-OCT-2015
Date of Application Delivery: 05-OCT-2015
Date of Debit of Fees: 09-OCT-2015
Date of Acknowledgement by Home Office: 28-OCT-2015 (biometrics delay letter)
Date of Letter Requesting Biometrics: 21-NOV-2015 (via e-mail after I requested in writing by e-mail to complete biometrics in Vancouver)
Biometrics Done: 15-DEC-2015 (in Vancouver due to no US option being available)
Date of Receipt of UKM Approval: 12-MAR-2016

Documents sent in with UKM claim form:
- Notarized copy of my US passport (required)
- Certified copy of my US birth certificate (required)
- Certified copy of my mother's UK birth certificate (required)
- Certified copy of my mother's and father's US marriage certificate showing my mother's surname change to my surname (optional, but recommended)
- A certified copy of my grandmother's UK birth certificate (optional, not recommended but included because I had it available to me)
- A certified copy of my grandmother's and grandfather's UK marriage certificate showing my grandmother's surname change to my mother's maiden name (optional, not recommended but included because I had it available to me)