ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife cannot apply for citizenship at the same time???

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

asmiali

Wife cannot apply for citizenship at the same time???

Post by asmiali » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:40 am

Hi,

NCS just told me that my wife is not eligible for citizenship as the applications are independent. Is the NCS correct?

1) My wife and I both got the ILR in January 2015.
2) My wife has only been in the country for 4 years to date.
3) I have been in the country for 6 years now.

I can apply for British citizenship but my wife cannot?

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Re: Wife cannot apply for citizenship at the same time???

Post by zahmed05 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:56 am

NCS is right.

Your wife will need to be in the country for 5 years to meet residence requirements.

if you become British then your wife will need 3 years of stay to meet residence requirements.

I would suggest to send your application and once you get naturalized, then send your wife's application.

She will still be subject to other residence requirements like not out of country for more than 270 days in last 3 years and 90 days within last 12 months.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:24 pm

NCS is correct.

Citizenship is not a part of the immigration pathway, which terminates at ILR/PR. It is given under different rules, made under different laws and issued by a different team in the Home Office.

Each naturalisation application is independent. Your wife does not meet the qualification of either Section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981 (which require at least five years of residence in UK) or Section 6(2) (which requires three years of residence when married to a British citizen).

At the time of application, you are not a British citizen. Indeed, you will not become a British citizen even when your application is successful. You only become a British citizen when you attend the citizenship ceremony, take the oath of allegiance and are issued the naturalisation certificate.

Following that, your wife would be eligible to apply under Section 6(2), assuming that she meets other requirements at that point in time.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:00 pm

If applying via partner of british citizen route. Whether the person should present in UK exactly 3 years before the application date. Is this requirement will apply for this route ?

Regards,
suresh

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:19 pm

haiksuresh wrote:If applying via partner of british citizen route. Whether the person should present in UK exactly 3 years before the application date. Is this requirement will apply for this route ?

Regards,
suresh
Yes. The requirement to be physically present at the START of the qualifying period (3/5 years) is the same for ALL applications for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.