ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for 'Family of a settled person' visa from USA

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Applying for 'Family of a settled person' visa from USA

Post by physicskate » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:29 pm

5 days is very new - it used to be two weeks. I think it changed in Jan?

mick_c
Newly Registered

Post by mick_c » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Ah, okay. The guidance sheet given out at the biometrics appointment (in Washington, DC) was dated November 2013 and said that we had two weeks.

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:59 am

Yes, they have recently changed it to 5 days only for applicants applying from US which is a ridiculous timeline.

Mick- did you send the documents from the place of biometric appointment? I am little confused if we need to send it after biometric through independent courier or will VFS arrange for that? I believe we also need to send return prepaid envelope?

Also, regarding maintaining contact- we usually keep in touch through whatsapp and skype- and we were together for 2 years recently so I am not sure what kind of evidence can I submit? can I take screen shot of whatsapp call log? I dont think you can print a call logg from whatsapp?

mick_c
Newly Registered

Post by mick_c » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Ah yes, the courier arrangement is a little confusing. You can choose between paying VFS for shipping in both directions, or paying them just to return your documents. We went with both ways, so that all of the dates were in the Home Office system and we could prove that we mailed the documents on time.

You need to register and pay for shipping with VFS, and then print out the shipping labels to use with UPS. We took everything to a UPS store and they attached the first label to a UPS shipping box to send our documents to Sheffield, and they also included a second UPS box in our package, along with the return label, that Sheffield could use to send our documents back to us.

I'm afraid I can't provide any help with the evidence of keeping in touch: my wife and I are both together in the US, so when the form asks things like "when did you last see you partner" we just gave the current date and wrote, for the reason, "we live together". If your wife was already in the UK as your partner, I imagine that you should be okay...

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:46 pm

So basically we need to pay both VSF and UPS? We get the labels through VSF and then go to UPS store? sorry but I am still little confused coz I thought you either pay VSF or UPS? or VSF provide it through UPS?

Thanks for your help Mick- appreciate it

mick_c
Newly Registered

Post by mick_c » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear. You only pay VSF, but then take everything to a UPS store, as VSF use UPS as a subcontractor.

michali
Member of Standing

Post by michali » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:37 pm

mick_c, just seeing your great news! Glad we could help! It goes to show that once you meet and requirements AND submit the correct documents, visa applications are successful!

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks Mick- that was useful.

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:10 am

Hey guys do I need to send a sponsorship undertaking form for settlement visa for my wife?? i.e. SU07/12

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 am

eclectic wrote:Hey guys do I need to send a sponsorship undertaking form for settlement visa for my wife?? i.e. SU07/12
Not required for a Spouse Settlement visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks Casa

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:55 am

I m filling IHT section and it seems quite confusing- I know I have to pay £600 health surcharge but do I need to add details where it asks for

Are you applying to join or remain with a person already in the UK?
+ Add this person's details

it then asks for IHT refrence and visa expiry date- I have none as I am on ILR- can anyone help please?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:20 pm

It should be filled in as 'applying alone'.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:26 pm

So I should basically not add my details as the sponsor?

eclectic

Post by eclectic » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi Guys,

My wife posted spouse settlement application from US on 19th February 2016 through using VFS courier service i.e. UPS- the labels were automatically generated and showed the following address:

UK Home office in Sheffield
4th Floor
Vulcan House
6 Millsands
Sheffield
S3 8NU

I then looked at the Gov website and it showed the address as International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands
Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH

now this is slightly different from above but I thought it must be right as it's through VFS- it's now been over 1 week and I have not received any kind of acknowledgeable from home office- I emailed them few times and was told that they do not send any confirmation once the documents are posted? but I thought they always notify on receipt of documents? I have been trying to track it but getting a message that " There are no current updates. This could be because your application was submitted recently or the details that you
have provided above are incorrect . "

UPS tracking shows that it was delivered on 21st Feb- but I have not had any acknowledgements and little worried as to why they cannot still get the status even after 1 week- I only need to know if it has gone through to right address and currently being processed.

any ideas anyone?