ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA spouses excluded from EEA-route under EU-UK deal?

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Petaltop

Re: Non-EEA spouses excluded from EEA-route under EU-UK deal

Post by Petaltop » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:01 am

secret.simon wrote:As I have mentioned in other threads, people are making a big mistake in thinking that the EU is going to remain the same whether the UK is within or without the EU.
It's not only the migrant problems, but the reverberations for the EU from Brexit

'Devastating' Brexit will consign Europe to a second rate world power, warns Deutsche Bank
"The implications of the UK not being in the EU will be truly devastating for Europe" says David Folkerts-Landau.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... -Bank.html

Brexit vote could turn UK into a 'safe haven' triggering EU disintegration, say Barclays
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... clays.html

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:10 am

Petaltop wrote:It's not only the migrant problems, but the reverberations for the EU from Brexit.
I agree. If the UK votes to leave the EU, it will effectively be the second country to vote to leave the EEA on the grounds of opposition to unrestricted freedom of movement, Switzerland being the first.

It is interesting to note that both countries are relatively wealthy nations within the EU with their wealth primarily drawn from being the base for financial institutions and services and not from manufacturing, which could benefit from cheap labour moving about the EU. That may be construed as a possible cause of the opposition to free movement of labour.

Two countries walking out on the same principle will flag to the EU that however much it is a key principle for the six founding members in the 1960s, it may not be workable now in an EU of 28 member-states or an EEA of 32.

Indeed, Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, has stated that the risk of EU breakup is real. How much of that is political posturing and how much is for real remains to be seen.

Also, some more interesting reading:
What are the UK’s options outside the European Union?

I have also posted some links to how the draft renegotiations could be implemented in law in a post on the Referendum thread here.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 am

Switzerland is a good example of what the UK will be like outside the EU. They are not allowed to sell most financial products into the EU because they don't follow EU rules. They tried to negotiate something, but the EU just said "sign our rules or go away".

That may be the best outcome for us. The EU takes a hard line, doesn't give much away, and rejects these changes to immigration rules.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:52 am

ryuzaki wrote:The EU takes a hard line, doesn't give much away,
Actually, that is no true. The Danes and the Irish both got important concessions from the EU after rejecting treaties in 1992 and 2001 respectively.

It is not improbable that if the UK were to vote to leave the EU, the EU would concede far more to keep its third largest member in.

And it is not just the UK that is hardening its stance against free movement of migrants within the EU. The Visegard group of countries are threatening to seal off the EU from Greece, if Greece and Turkey do not manage the flow of migrants among themselves.

And while not related to the EU itself, the mood against immigration seems to be souring worldwide, with countries seeming to take the wider cost of individual migrants into account.

This just in from New Zealand: Prestigious academic to quit New Zealand after autistic son refused residency
Immigration New Zealand said in a statement that Peter was deemed to require “continuous, structured residential care”.

“All migrants are required to have an acceptable standard of health so as not to impose undue costs and/or demands on New Zealand’s health and/or special education services,” the agency said.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:27 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Petaltop wrote:It's not only the migrant problems, but the reverberations for the EU from Brexit.
It is interesting to note that both countries are relatively wealthy nations within the EU with their wealth primarily drawn from being the base for financial institutions and services and not from manufacturing, which could benefit from cheap labour moving about the EU. That may be construed as a possible cause of the opposition to free movement of labour.

Two countries walking out on the same principle will flag to the EU that however much it is a key principle for the six founding members in the 1960s, it may not be workable now in an EU of 28 member-states or an EEA of 32.
That's some interesting reading there Simon.

How do you think Germany will cope with losing it's biggest trading partner if the UK leave?

When is it "kick the can (debt) down the road" time again for Greece? And Italy too this time it seems? Spain must be hanging on by a thread.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:37 pm

secret.simon wrote:
And it is not just the UK that is hardening its stance against free movement of migrants within the EU. The Visegard group of countries are threatening to seal off the EU from Greece, if Greece and Turkey do not manage the flow of migrants among themselves.

Greece must be getting fed up with Germany. They encouraged them to join the euro when they should never had joined, but based the Euro on what is best for Germany. Germany refuses to let Greece off some of their debt, but asked (and received) permission to wipe off 50% of their own debt after the war Germany started. Merkel invites migrants to come to Germany and then is fed up with Greece for letting them in.

I see Germany has been pushing migrants back into Austria.

Germany sending 200 refugees per day back to Austria

Austria will tighten border controls with Slovenia as returns from Germany rise sharply.

http://www.politico.eu/article/germany- ... on-border/

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:42 am

How relevant is your above post to this thread.

Please try and stay on topic.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:55 am

I was under the impression that the thread was moved to the general immigration thread area precisely to allow a broader range of discussion to take place.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:20 pm

secret.simon wrote:I was under the impression that the thread was moved to the general immigration thread area precisely to allow a broader range of discussion to take place.
Well unfortunately your impression was wrong.

It is still an immigration topic , if you are correct then it will need to be on general discussion board and not on General immigration board.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:22 pm

To avoid contention, I've moved it to the General Discussion Board.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:00 pm

I think it may be best to say, that these proposal are no longer valid, we are back to the Normal application of EU law.

Those proposal are now nullity.