ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

White Emerald

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by White Emerald » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 pm

magicmus wrote: Hi RJF1979 I'm good thanks. I havent sent my RN yet as I am still waiting on my irish passport card so that i can send that with my RN rather than my irish passport as I will need that for travelling to turkey whilst Im waiting for my RN.
Hi magimus,

I sent my Irish passport with the British one, but wrote that once they had checked it could they send it back as I needed it to travel. They returned it a week after I sent off my RN; it was the only fast thing about the whole process.

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm sure everyone here is following the news closely and if your anything like me probably feeling sick to your stomach. So the referendum will take place on 23rd June. If we stay in David Cameron has struck a deal. The part that concerns me most is that UK can deny free movement of eu national and their non Eu spouse. Does this mean as an Irish citizen living in the UK I cannot bring my Turkish husband? I'm feeling so confused and stressed at the moment.

nemerkh

Post by nemerkh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Sorry to hijack this post, Mark is it? i live in shrewsbury and i was wondering whether you know any good EU/immigration solicitors around shrewsbury area?
thanks

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 pm

magicmus wrote:I'm sure everyone here is following the news closely and if your anything like me probably feeling sick to your stomach. So the referendum will take place on 23rd June. If we stay in David Cameron has struck a deal. The part that concerns me most is that UK can deny free movement of eu national and their non Eu spouse. Does this mean as an Irish citizen living in the UK I cannot bring my Turkish husband? I'm feeling so confused and stressed at the moment.
Hey, nemerkh - personally I do not know of any sorry. I am in the USA at the minute. I know that Lisa from this thread (she is in South Africa) - has been communicating with an immigration company somewhere in England, though I'm not sure which part. I can't remember if she mentioned the name of them or not, but you might want to flick back a few pages and see ...

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Magicmus,

Yeah, like you I feel sick and nervous anytime I see a story pop on the news about it. I had a predictable feeling that they would reach an agreement right at the death & that the 23rd would be announced as the referendum date.

My understanding is, if the UK votes to stay in - then yes free movement for non-EU nationals becomes more difficult. I THINK that the country's own individual immigration laws come into force. In the case of the UK - the financial threshold of 18k would apply to everyone now, not just British Citizens with non-Eu spouses. In the case of you moving to Spain for e.g. Spanish immigration laws would then apply. Don't quote me 100% on that - but I am going to try and find out more information on this over the next few days - if I hear anything at all I will let people know.

The big question that I want to know is - when do the new laws come into force (in the event of a STAY vote). I know that the proposal says "when the UK informs the European council of its desire to stay in the EU" - but I don't know if that means the 24th of June (the next day once all the votes are counted) - or if there will be some time lag before things change.

I am also curious about how the family permit is going to work - for example, I have been told that they have a "valid until" date on them, of around 6 months after they are issued. So if someone gets issued a family permit, say on June 20th, before the vote - the vote happens and the rules change - is that family permit still valid?

In terms of your situation - have you thought about doing Surinder Singh? (I'm sure you have) - only reason I am asking it because the time frame for that is shorter (3 months) than renouncing at the minute. Personally, I can't do SS - as you have to enter another EU country on your British passport - mine expired 5 years ago - so for me to cancel my renunciation and apply for a new British passport would not really give me enough time. Plus I am almost at the 3 month mark of renouncing anyway, so it is sort of one in the same for me now.

I am incredibly angry that the other member states did nothing about the non-EU spouse rules that the UK were asking for - they weren't even discussed as far as I know!!! The reason being - The EU wants the UK to stay in the EU ... they know that they have a better chance of this, if Theresa May is in the STAY camp ... if they removed those clauses she surely would have campaigned to leave.

On a positive note - don't forget that the 18k threshold is being challenged at the Supreme Court on Monday Feb 22nd - it is just the hearing, not the actual judgement, but lets hope and pray that common sense prevails!!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:21 pm

sp84 wrote:
magicmus wrote:I'm sure everyone here is following the news closely and if your anything like me probably feeling sick to your stomach. So the referendum will take place on 23rd June. If we stay in David Cameron has struck a deal. The part that concerns me most is that UK can deny free movement of eu national and their non Eu spouse. Does this mean as an Irish citizen living in the UK I cannot bring my Turkish husband? I'm feeling so confused and stressed at the moment.
Hey, nemerkh - personally I do not know of any sorry. I am in the USA at the minute. I know that Lisa from this thread (she is in South Africa) - has been communicating with an immigration company somewhere in England, though I'm not sure which part. I can't remember if she mentioned the name of them or not, but you might want to flick back a few pages and see ...

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Magicmus,

Yeah, like you I feel sick and nervous anytime I see a story pop on the news about it. I had a predictable feeling that they would reach an agreement right at the death & that the 23rd would be announced as the referendum date.

My understanding is, if the UK votes to stay in - then yes free movement for non-EU nationals becomes more difficult. I THINK that the country's own individual immigration laws come into force. In the case of the UK - the financial threshold of 18k would apply to everyone now, not just British Citizens with non-Eu spouses. In the case of you moving to Spain for e.g. Spanish immigration laws would then apply. Don't quote me 100% on that - but I am going to try and find out more information on this over the next few days - if I hear anything at all I will let people know.

The big question that I want to know is - when do the new laws come into force (in the event of a STAY vote). I know that the proposal says "when the UK informs the European council of its desire to stay in the EU" - but I don't know if that means the 24th of June (the next day once all the votes are counted) - or if there will be some time lag before things change.

I am also curious about how the family permit is going to work - for example, I have been told that they have a "valid until" date on them, of around 6 months after they are issued. So if someone gets issued a family permit, say on June 20th, before the vote - the vote happens and the rules change - is that family permit still valid?

In terms of your situation - have you thought about doing Surinder Singh? (I'm sure you have) - only reason I am asking it because the time frame for that is shorter (3 months) than renouncing at the minute. Personally, I can't do SS - as you have to enter another EU country on your British passport - mine expired 5 years ago - so for me to cancel my renunciation and apply for a new British passport would not really give me enough time. Plus I am almost at the 3 month mark of renouncing anyway, so it is sort of one in the same for me now.

I am incredibly angry that the other member states did nothing about the non-EU spouse rules that the UK were asking for - they weren't even discussed as far as I know!!! The reason being - The EU wants the UK to stay in the EU ... they know that they have a better chance of this, if Theresa May is in the STAY camp ... if they removed those clauses she surely would have campaigned to leave.

On a positive note - don't forget that the 18k threshold is being challenged at the Supreme Court on Monday Feb 22nd - it is just the hearing, not the actual judgement, but lets hope and pray that common sense prevails!!
Hi sp84, definitely considered doing ss as company I work for operates both in ni and roI so relocate to Dublin wouldn't be difficult. However my husband is in the army doing his national service until 23rd June!!! Will be a bitter sweet day for me. I do meet the financial requirement for uk however our issue is that we have applied twice for a UK visit visa before we got married. My husbands brother lives in Scotland and provided us with the incorrect address they refused saying false info was provided. 2nd time we applied we explained that his brother had moved but not registered at his new address etc etc however they didn't accept this and slapped a 10 year ban on this so that's what would worry me if we had to apply via UK spouse visa that our ban would apply to that aswel

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:41 pm

magicmus wrote: Hi sp84, definitely considered doing ss as company I work for operates both in ni and roI so relocate to Dublin wouldn't be difficult. However my husband is in the army doing his national service until 23rd June!!! Will be a bitter sweet day for me. I do meet the financial requirement for uk however our issue is that we have applied twice for a UK visit visa before we got married. My husbands brother lives in Scotland and provided us with the incorrect address they refused saying false info was provided. 2nd time we applied we explained that his brother had moved but not registered at his new address etc etc however they didn't accept this and slapped a 10 year ban on this so that's what would worry me if we had to apply via UK spouse visa that our ban would apply to that aswel
That story sounds familiar!!

Don't worry...there's always the Irish spouse visa as another option!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:08 am

White Emerald wrote:
magicmus wrote: Hi RJF1979 I'm good thanks. I havent sent my RN yet as I am still waiting on my irish passport card so that i can send that with my RN rather than my irish passport as I will need that for travelling to turkey whilst Im waiting for my RN.
Hi magimus,

I sent my Irish passport with the British one, but wrote that once they had checked it could they send it back as I needed it to travel. They returned it a week after I sent off my RN; it was the only fast thing about the whole process.
Thanks for this info white emerald. If the passport card doesn't come by Wednesday this week I think I will just send my irish passport then and ask that they return it asap.

Chaotoclive: think ul guess who I am lol

RJF1979

Post by RJF1979 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 am

chaoclive wrote:
magicmus wrote: Hi sp84, definitely considered doing ss as company I work for operates both in ni and roI so relocate to Dublin wouldn't be difficult. However my husband is in the army doing his national service until 23rd June!!! Will be a bitter sweet day for me. I do meet the financial requirement for uk however our issue is that we have applied twice for a UK visit visa before we got married. My husbands brother lives in Scotland and provided us with the incorrect address they refused saying false info was provided. 2nd time we applied we explained that his brother had moved but not registered at his new address etc etc however they didn't accept this and slapped a 10 year ban on this so that's what would worry me if we had to apply via UK spouse visa that our ban would apply to that aswel

Hi all & good evening or morning & chaoclive

Does mean when the Euro referendum is over & the uk stays in the eu will it be hard to get a EEA family permit? I'm really worried now because I'm getting married now in May 2016 & sent off my RN in novemeber, after I'm married apply for the EEA permit. What will happen after the Eu referendum??

As my fiancé has been refused twice to come visit me here in Northern Ireland..

I know I could go down the Irish spouse visa put I've heard if you have been turned down for a country for a tourist visa.. You could get turned down for Ireland as my fiancé needs a visa for Ireland & uk

It's all going Pete tong

I hope to hear from you all soon

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:28 am

chaoclive wrote:

Hey Clive!

Just to clarify the Irish spouse visa ... is this when an Irish citizen, living in the UK, applies for a spouse visa for their non-EU citizen? ... Which under the new proposals would mean having to meet the 18k threshold? ... Or is this visa solely for living with a non-EU spouse in the Republic of Ireland?

Wow Magicmus! Talk about complicated and ironic with the dates!!! If I learn anything new over the next few days regarding timelines etc I will post it here.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:07 am

sp84 wrote:
chaoclive wrote:

Hey Clive!

Just to clarify the Irish spouse visa ... is this when an Irish citizen, living in the UK, applies for a spouse visa for their non-EU citizen? ... Which under the new proposals would mean having to meet the 18k threshold? ... Or is this visa solely for living with a non-EU spouse in the Republic of Ireland?

I mean the visa for a non-EU spouse moving to ROI. At least that option still will stand after the UK referendum.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:01 am

chaoclive wrote:
I mean the visa for a non-EU spouse moving to ROI. At least that option still will stand after the UK referendum.
Aahh OK thank you! That's true.

tigerram

Post by tigerram » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:56 am

Glad to see so many people are getting things quicker than expected! Well done bannoi, sp84, white lightning et al.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:59 am

tigerram wrote:Glad to see so many people are getting things quicker than expected! Well done bannoi, sp84, white lightning et al.
Hey tigerram,

I haven't gotten anything back yet haha! I wish! ... I'm almost finished my 3rd month of waiting on my RN, so I still have some time left yet! Hope the wife is settling well in to her new surroundings!

tigerram

Post by tigerram » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:03 am

I misread the posts at 6am. Oops!

You don't have the ordeal of the eea fp though! Fingers crossed for you.

My wife is settling in very well, she's just eaten 99.99% of an oversized English breakfast!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:55 pm

tigerram wrote:I misread the posts at 6am. Oops!

My wife is settling in very well, she's just eaten 99.99% of an oversized English breakfast!
Haha brilliant! You'll have her watching Ant & Dec and xfactor in no time! Glad to hear its going well!

Even though my wife is a non visa national, I am.still going to apply for the EEA family permit (as long as my RN comes back with enough time to spare before the referendum). Even though she doesn't legally need it - I think it will be important because of the vote. I'd feel much more secure if we head back to the UK with it in our possession. A positive though is that some people have been getting their family permit in as little as 5 days!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:02 pm

sp84 wrote:
tigerram wrote:I misread the posts at 6am. Oops!

Haha brilliant! You'll have her watching Ant & Dec and xfactor in no time! Glad to hear its going well!

Even though my wife is a non visa national, I am.still going to apply for the EEA family permit (as long as my RN comes back with enough time to spare before the referendum). Even though she doesn't legally need it - I think it will be important because of the vote. I'd feel much more secure if we head back to the UK with it in our possession. A positive though is that some people have been getting their family permit in as little as 5 days!
Hi sp84, yes I seen that the timescale in turkey for the eea fp is 100% of applications processed in 5 days. It's just the RN holding us all up. Have you thought about getting an mp to torture them on the progress of your RN. I plan to do this once I send mine off. Speaking to my husband today he said if my rn where to come before I go over in June (highly unlikely) he could get leave from army to submit fp application.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:48 pm

magicmus wrote:
Hi sp84, yes I seen that the timescale in turkey for the eea fp is 100% of applications processed in 5 days. It's just the RN holding us all up. Have you thought about getting an mp to torture them on the progress of your RN. I plan to do this once I send mine off. Speaking to my husband today he said if my rn where to come before I go over in June (highly unlikely) he could get leave from army to submit fp application.
Hey magicmus!

I never thought about getting an MP to check on the progress, until you had actually mentioned it!

At the minute, my return address for my RN, is here in the USA - I am thinking of changing it to my family home in the UK. That way, once it is actually processed, it can be in the hands of someone I know, ASAP! Then they can fast track it over here in the post if need be. I'm sure the Home Office are in no hurry to pay for next day international delivery for any paperwork being returned haha!

Lisa from these boards is based in South Africa - she got her RN back recently, but the time stamp on it, was for several weeks before - so she was basically held up by having to just wait for it to be delivered. I know she said that could be as a result of the postal service in South Africa - but with everything going on, obviously the quicker we get them, the better!

If I do change the address to my Belfast address - then yea I might ask a local MP to at least enquire about it for me. It makes more sense that if it looks like I am based in Belfast, to have a Belfast MP look into it - rather than if I am based here in the sates. It may not necessarily help - but I'm sure it can't do any harm!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:16 pm

sp84 wrote:
magicmus wrote:
Hey magicmus!

I never thought about getting an MP to check on the progress, until you had actually mentioned it!

At the minute, my return address for my RN, is here in the USA - I am thinking of changing it to my family home in the UK. That way, once it is actually processed, it can be in the hands of someone I know, ASAP! Then they can fast track it over here in the post if need be. I'm sure the Home Office are in no hurry to pay for next day international delivery for any paperwork being returned haha!

Lisa from these boards is based in South Africa - she got her RN back recently, but the time stamp on it, was for several weeks before - so she was basically held up by having to just wait for it to be delivered. I know she said that could be as a result of the postal service in South Africa - but with everything going on, obviously the quicker we get them, the better!

If I do change the address to my Belfast address - then yea I might ask a local MP to at least enquire about it for me. It makes more sense that if it looks like I am based in Belfast, to have a Belfast MP look into it - rather than if I am based here in the sates. It may not necessarily help - but I'm sure it can't do any harm!
Sp84 I feel the waiting time now feels even more stressful with the current situation. I just can't see why it takes them so long. I almost feel like getting a flight to Liverpool and walking in with the paper asking them to sign and stamp it there and then lol if only that would work. Do you know how long Lisa had to wait for hers?
I'm so stressed about it all at the moment so much so it's brought on a migraine today. Silly really considering its all out of my control anyway

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:26 am

magicmus wrote:
Sp84 I feel the waiting time now feels even more stressful with the current situation. I just can't see why it takes them so long. I almost feel like getting a flight to Liverpool and walking in with the paper asking them to sign and stamp it there and then lol if only that would work. Do you know how long Lisa had to wait for hers?
I'm so stressed about it all at the moment so much so it's brought on a migraine today. Silly really considering its all out of my control anyway
Oh trust me I get the stressing! When I first looked in this, the wait time was around 3 months! So I thought I had loads of time!

Lisa waited the whole 6 months if I remember right - but the stamp on her RN form was at about the 4.5 month mark. It took that long for it to reach her in South Africa. I may be slightly off with my time frame there. White emerald waited 4.5 months on his form arriving too.

I'll probably stress about it until everything is settled one way or the other.

I know I've said it before but if I hear anything regarding timelines, when we need to be back before laws come into effect etc I will let everyone here know! I'm now at the point where I practically keep this thread open all day so I can see any new posts.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:35 am

sp84 wrote:
Lissa6 wrote:Hi all!

Well, our news, we got our EEA family permit in 4 working days! we were shocked... haha.. but very happy!

So we are flying to the UK in March 2016,.

All scary now that it's finally happening, but happy we are able to go over before any "changes" take place.

Happy to hear everyones good news.

FYI - We sent in a bunch of photos (we've been together 5yrs, married 2 and with a daughter) so we sent photos from the "beginning" when we looked different to now etc. We sent our marriage certificate, they took a copy of my daughters passport and my passport and that was pretty much it. We had a letter from a friend we are staying with and a letter from our family that is helping us financially.

I don't know if its more difficult in certain countries, or some are more strict. But either way! extremely happy! Now to find a place to rent that allows pets! haha
Brilliant Lisa!!!!

Funny I was wondering about you over the weekend and how you were progressing. You hadn't posted in a while so I was worried that something had come up. There is 3 good stories in a row hahaha! Tigerram, Bannoi and now you. Really glad to hear it & that you can start moving on with things :)

Hi Sp,

Yes, the internet was off for awhile., not very reliable!
And yes, starting to pack, we are moving in 11 days... Now that its here its a bit nerve wrecking, but exciting too!

Hows things with your applications?

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:41 am

sp84 wrote:
magicmus wrote:
Oh trust me I get the stressing! When I first looked in this, the wait time was around 3 months! So I thought I had loads of time!

Lisa waited the whole 6 months if I remember right - but the stamp on her RN form was at about the 4.5 month mark. It took that long for it to reach her in South Africa. I may be slightly off with my time frame there. White emerald waited 4.5 months on his form arriving too.

I'll probably stress about it until everything is settled one way or the other.

I know I've said it before but if I hear anything regarding timelines, when we need to be back before laws come into effect etc I will let everyone here know! I'm now at the point where I practically keep this thread open all day so I can see any new posts.
Yes, that was about right, it was just about 5 months (the date stamped on the letter) and then just a week shy of 6 months and then I received it! At least it was through a registered mail. Otherwise I think i would still be waiting!

It is a very stressful situation! the saving grace is that the family permit only took us a few days to get!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Lissa6 wrote:
Yes, that was about right, it was just about 5 months (the date stamped on the letter) and then just a week shy of 6 months and then I received it! At least it was through a registered mail. Otherwise I think i would still be waiting!

It is a very stressful situation! the saving grace is that the family permit only took us a few days to get!
Wow Lisa, you're moving in 11 days! I suppose you did say you were moving in March - I just can't believe it is almost March already! Hope the packing is going well.

In terms of my application - not much else to report. Just waiting and waiting haha

It does make me feel better hearing that the family permits have been getting issued quite quickly. Just in case you don't manage to get back online between now and then - best of luck with the move Lisa and safe flight and all that! Don't you go disappearing though haha - keep us updated with how you are settling :)

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:25 am

Hi all this might seem like a stupid question. See on the renunciation form where it asks was born on (date of birth) at ( place and country of birth) for country do i put UK or Northern ireland or Ireland??

What all did people send with their renunciation?

Still not recieved my irish passport card, i have sent them an email asking for an update but not had any reply. Thinking now i will just send my irish passport and ask that they return it once they have checked it.

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:49 am

me again being a torture today! I've spoken to the irish passport office this morning, they have a bit of a back log for the irish passport card and mine is not due to be dispatched until the 5th March. I have decided i will just send my irish passport and request that they return it asap as I need it for travel in June. What all did everyone send with their renunciation?

- completed RN form
- Fee payment details form
- British passport
- Irish passport
- Letter requesting Irish passport returned asap.

Did you guys enclose an addressed envelope for return of RN?

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:15 pm

magicmus wrote:me again being a torture today! I've spoken to the irish passport office this morning, they have a bit of a back log for the irish passport card and mine is not due to be dispatched until the 5th March. I have decided i will just send my irish passport and request that they return it asap as I need it for travel in June. What all did everyone send with their renunciation?

- completed RN form
- Fee payment details form
- British passport
- Irish passport
- Letter requesting Irish passport returned asap.

Did you guys enclose an addressed envelope for return of RN?
Hey magicmus,

Sorry with the time difference, I don't see posts until the morning here! With my RN I sent:

-Completed RN
-Payment Form
-Expired British Passport
-Irish Passport Card
-Cover letter detailing everything that was in my packet e.g. (1) Irish passport card - this is proof that I am Irish & can only be obtained by a current Irish Passport holder (2) Expired British passport - it was never re-issued once it expired ... I also did say could I please have the expired passport back (Travel stamps), though I don't think I will see it again.

In terms of where I was born, I honestly can't remember what I wrote - It might have been Northern Ireland.

I personally didn't sent a return envelope - mainly because I am in the USA and don't know how they would work out the postage for the return. I am going to go onto the Home Office website though and change my address to my family home in Belfast - that way at least someone in my family can get their hands on my RN as soon as possible and fast track it over to me.