ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas passport application for a child born overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MP1982

Overseas passport application for a child born overseas

Post by MP1982 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:22 am

Dear All,

Both my self and wife are naturalized British Citizens and currently living in Sri Lanka (dual citizens).

My wife gave birth to a baby girl recently and we want to apply for her British passport as she is eligible for that. As part of the documents required it asks for both parents British passports and which means we will not be able to travel overseas till we get them back from Liverpool passport office. With out specific time lines (minimum 12 weeks) I was wondering whether we could send wife's original British passport but for the father;

Certified colour copy copy of each page in British Passport
Original residence permit which we had for ILR- Send this for the father as a original instead of the PP
Original naturalization certificate

Whole point is to find out whether I could keep my British passport (original) with me as I have to travel frequently for work purposes.

Advise on this matter is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
MP

LilyLalilu

Re: Overseas passport application for a child born overseas

Post by LilyLalilu » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:38 am

I'm not sure if there are different rules for overseas passport applications, but it is usually sufficient to send only one passport (in this case your wife's for example). As you are both British your child can claim BC through either parent and you should not be required to submit evidence of both parents' status as one parent's status is enough to prove the child's claim to British Citizenship. So I believe it is not necessary to send your passport (actually, even your wife could just send her naturalisation certificate I believe)

Also note that overseas passport applications can take quite a long time (6-12months).
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

MP1982

Post by MP1982 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:11 am

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I was under the same impression however after seeing the following under document guidance I am somewhat confused now;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _09.15.PDF

Please refer to Table C if possible,

Quote'

Table C
First British passport applicants born or adopted outside the UK – parents’ or adoptive parents’ documents
Please provide the following:
The passport you entered the country from which you are applying, and if different any non-British passport held as well as evidence shown in the table below:
Born on or after 1 January 1983
• both parents’ full birth certificates (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or both parents’ naturalisation or registration certificates; and
• parents’ marriage certificate (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006); and
both parents’ passports at the time of the applicant’s conception

'Unquote

Further guidance on this matter highly appreciated.

Thank you,
MP

Member of Standing

Post by member » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:50 am

MP1982 wrote:Dear All,

Both my self and wife are naturalized British Citizens and currently living in Sri Lanka (dual citizens).

My wife gave birth to a baby girl recently and we want to apply for her British passport as she is eligible for that. As part of the documents required it asks for both parents British passports and which means we will not be able to travel overseas till we get them back from Liverpool passport office. With out specific time lines (minimum 12 weeks) I was wondering whether we could send wife's original British passport but for the father;

Certified colour copy copy of each page in British Passport
Original residence permit which we had for ILR- Send this for the father as a original instead of the PP
Original naturalization certificate

Whole point is to find out whether I could keep my British passport (original) with me as I have to travel frequently for work purposes.

Advise on this matter is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
MP
Do you have a Sri Lankan passport? :?:

MP1982

Post by MP1982 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and yes I do have a Sri Lankan passport aswell which indicates I am a Dual Citizen which was stamped on my last visit to SL from London.

Does that mean I can keep my British passport and only send Sri Lankan PP together with my British naturalization certificate? Of coz will send all original including the British Passport for my wife.

Thank you,
MP