ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German Reisepass

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

German Reisepass

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:48 am

Just occurred to me actually - we had German guests last month, both of whom entered the UK (Manchester Airport) without a passport, but with a German Reisepass, basically some sort of ID card.

I wonder how they got past the normally stringent 'you need a passport' UK IO's?

And conversely, in the real EU world, can we Brits travel there without our passports? I know the Directives say yes, valid Id is enough, but what's the reality?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:39 pm

It has always been the case that if an EU country issues national identity cards to its citizens, these ID cards can be used to travel between EU member countries including the UK. This is nothing new!

When (if?) we get national identity cards here in the UK, the IPS has already confirmed that British citizens will be able to use these cards to travel to the rest of the EU instead of a passport.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:58 pm

Dawie wrote:It has always been the case that if an EU country issues national identity cards to its citizens, these ID cards can be used to travel between EU member countries including the UK. This is nothing new!

When (if?) we get national identity cards here in the UK, the IPS has already confirmed that British citizens will be able to use these cards to travel to the rest of the EU instead of a passport.
I wonder if my Citizencard will work then!

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Hello Wanderer,

a "Reisepass" is the german Passport. You you by any chance mean the "Personalausweis"? The Personalausweis is the german identity Card, and every german citizen is required to carry it with him. It is usually accepted for travelling within europe, and even some parts of North Africa and the Middle East.

Cheers.
DSAB85

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:43 pm

dsab85 wrote:Hello Wanderer,

a "Reisepass" is the german Passport. You you by any chance mean the "Personalausweis"? The Personalausweis is the german identity Card, and every german citizen is required to carry it with him. It is usually accepted for travelling within europe, and even some parts of North Africa and the Middle East.

Cheers.
DSAB85
No, it was the Reisepass, I didn't realise it was an actual passport, it looks like a library card!

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:08 pm

A Reisepass usually doesn't look like a library card:

A personalausweis (german identity card) looks like this:

Cheers,
dsab85

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 pm

Ahh, it was the second one.

I'm sure I saw or heard the word 'reisepass' but it looks like ages is catching up with me....

Katzenscheisse! Ich bin ein blodmann! (Did I get that right?) Everyone in Germeny says 'scheisse' I noticed, even small kids!