ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Email from case worker today..please advise

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

john353

Email from case worker today..please advise

Post by john353 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:54 am

I got an email today from the case worker regarding my name in my passport. It says my name in the passport is given as surname - (nothing given) and given names xxxx yyyy. In the naturalisation application form I have put as surname yyyy and other names as xxxx.

I have copied the rest of the email below:

"
Please note, that should your application be successful and you subsequently wish to apply for a British passport you should note that HM Passport Office will not issue a British passport in a name that is different to any other passport or travel document that a person holds. This is to ensure consistency with the identities in the British passport and any other passport or travel document. This means that you would need to change your foreign passport to the details as provided before applying for a British passport.

Could you therefore confirm whether you wish your name to match the details on your application form, or to match your Indian passport?
Please suggest. I don't want to change anything in my Indian passport now. Will it be ok if I say that I wish my name to match the details in the Indian passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Email from case worker today..please advise

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:13 am

To avoid complications further down the line, your name for naturalisation and British passport should be the same as in your foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

john353

Post by john353 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks CR001 for the quick reply.
I will email saying that I wish to have my name consistent with my passport.

john353

Post by john353 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:49 pm

I did a bit of research from old posts for Indian passports with no surname.

It looks like in the naturalisation certificate the name will appear something like *yyyy* xxxx. When applying for British passport surname field cannot be left blank and so in the British passport the given name will appear as XXX (meaning no name) and surname will appear as xxxx yyyy.

Is the above still true? Worried about the implications now. I have already pre-booked flights to travel later in July with my name as xxxx yyyy. If I get the British passport with XXX as given name and surname as xxxx yyyy, will this cause problems? Still not sure how the name will appear in the OCI booklet.

Any other complications that I need to prepared for?

john353

Post by john353 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:11 am

Any thoughts on potential complications for people with no surname in foreign passport?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:35 am

It won't cause problems and in fact there are many people on this forum in exactly the same position. It was something to do with a 'feature' in the HMPO computer system which doesn't allow the surname field to be left blank, so for people who have AAA BBB as their given names but no surname (which is apparently common in India), a UK passport will show XXX as first name and AAA BBB as the surname.

You won't be able to get a British passport with a different name than you have in your foreign passports, so you either need to split your name in your Indian passport first, or once you have become British you can surrender your Indian passport, split your name in the UK by deed poll and then apply for a British passport with given name AAA and surname BBB.

There are so many threads here on this, you should do a search :)

john353

Post by john353 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks Ohara. I did a good search on the forum.
My doubts still are
1) If I choose to go through a deed poll, will I have to apply for British passport twice? That's first get one with XXX as first name and AAA BBB as the surname and then get the deed poll after which reapply for British passport with names split?
2) If I choose to stick with British passport with XXX as first name and AAA BBB as the surname, then will the OCI booklet have the same details, i.e. XXX as first name and AAA BBB as the surname.
3)For booking flight tickets (with a passport that has XXX as first name and AAA BBB as the surname), can I leave the first name blank. Infact I have already pre-booked for a flight later in July with surname as BBB and first name as AAA (as I have done always since started flying). Will this create problems.

Any inputs will be gratefully received.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I have no idea about the OCI process or Indian nationality law. I believe you have to surrender your Indian passport within a certain time of getting a British one though.

I suppose it depends how long you can go without a passport. You could naturalise, surrender your Indian passport immediately (if possible), change your name by deed poll, then apply for British passport with properly split name. Sending your naturalisation certificate as well as the deed poll should be sufficient. Remember the UK won't give you a passport in a different name to any uncancelled foreign passports.

The only problem is you will end up being without a passport for a few weeks while everything is being done.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:59 pm

OCI and surrendering Indian passport discussion should be done in the 'other countries' forum please.

@ohara - OP needs the British Passport to surrender the Indian one.

HMPO will not issue a passport in any other name than the foreign passport (first time applicants), even with a deed poll.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

john353

Post by john353 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks again.

Another point is my driving license has surname and forename split correctly, ie. surname BBB and first name AAA. If I have in my British passport XXX as given name and surname as AAA BBB, will this cause any conflict and problems?