ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 to ILR, personal tax returns not submitted, advice

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

khanmad
Newly Registered

Tier 1 to ILR, personal tax returns not submitted, advice

Post by khanmad » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi,

My visa is to expire in end of march and i have just realised that my personal tax returns have not been filed for first two years of tier 1 i-e 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.
I got my Tier 1 in March 2011.

I am company director with 100% shares.

Could anyone please advice how to go about it?
Since i dont have enough time and i wont be able to get the tax returns sorted out before filing my application.
and my since 2010-2011 is more than five years, HMRC may not accept the tax returns as suggested to me.
the corporation tax for all the years is submitted.

Also, is it worth going for same day appointment or not?

Many Thanks

askhan

Re: Tier 1 to ILR, personal tax returns not submitted, advi

Post by askhan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:25 am

HI Mate.

You need to speak to very big lawyer and an accountant at the same time.
You dug a big hole yourself and now thinking to jump over.

You better use the post facility to buy more time otherwise you have very sheer chances to get any positive new on the day.

Thanks
Ak
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

Rosemount
Newly Registered

Post by Rosemount » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 pm

It is mandatory for a company director to file a tax return with HMRC, if a return has been issued.

It is also mandatory for a director (or anybody for that matter) to notify HMRC if they have a liability to tax for a particular year of assessment, by 5 October following the end of the year of assessment, otherwise they become liable to penalties, in accordance with Taxes Management Act 1970 (TMA) s7.

But what about if a Self Assessment tax return has not been issued to a director and he does not have a tax liability?

HMRC’s online guidance “Do you need to complete a tax return?” states that:

"You must complete a return if you're any of the following:

a company director (unless you're a director of a non-profit organisation, for example a charity, and don't receive any payments or benefits)...”

We have been made aware of several instances of HMRC staff insisting that a tax return is required for a director even though a return has not been issued and there is no further tax liability for the year, in accordance with the above guidance.

BUT is this guidance consistent with the legislation?

There is no specific requirement in TMA 1970 for a director to register for self assessment if there is no further tax liability for the year and buried within HMRC’s Manuals at EM4551, there is some further guidance:

“There is no requirement to notify chargeability where there is no liability to Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax or where sufficient tax has been deducted at source to meet the net liability for the year.”

There is no exception to this for directors.

Therefore, if a director of a company has no further tax liability for a tax year AND no self assessment tax return has been issued by HMRC, then there is NO requirement for the director to notify chargeability OR file a tax return with HMRC for the year in question.

If HMRC try to insist that a return is due in these circumstances, you should
http://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/technic ... turns.html

Rosemount
Newly Registered

Post by Rosemount » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi,
Your not required by law to submit Tax Return if not issued by being a director of the company.
good luck