ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

oci application

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

goldenstarnice
India

oci application

Post by goldenstarnice » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi There,

I need to get OCI for myself and my children that includes my new born baby as well currently holding only British passport only.

What are the procedure to follow to get OCI and how long does it take nowadays?

I've number of questions

1) Do we have to file online application for each of us separately?
2) What are all the documents do we need to submit?
3) Do we all have to visit VFS centre?

Many Thanks for your help.

secret.simon

Re: oci application

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 pm

A question for the Other Countries forum. Can the mods please move it appropriately?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

theaviator380

Post by theaviator380 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:31 am

Actually the process is not that difficult but it's just long winded. I was cursing the process before actually going through it but if website is healthy on that day then it's very straightforward.

Select correct Jurisdiction depending on where you live.

Fill online application form for part A and B. Upload the photo, Signature as specified. 2" x 2" photo can be scanned using a scanner and using paint shop can be re-sized to make it usable for the website. Same goes for signature, sign on the white paper, scan it and re-size it according to the specifications. When you upload the photo and signature website detects whether it’s within the specification or not.

I would suggest to take colour photocopy of the documents, self-attest them, scan it and then upload it. Some of the documents can be clubbed together such as Naturalization cert + British Passport, Indian Passport + Surrender Cert. As there are limited choices from drop down menu.

I would also recommend uploading marriage certificate for your application as well for your child.

Once everything is completed, website will ask to submit the document and registration form will be generated. It is 5 pages form I guess; take 2 prints for each person. One needs submitting, one keep for your reference.

Book an appointment using GBRL number, go to VFS centre and submit the docs which you have uploaded. I opted for courier service.

They will give your British PP back and will keep all originals and photocopies with them as a part of process. High commission will send all original documents back to your address. After 4-6 weeks, check status of an application, if it’s ready then go to VFS with your British passport and plastic pouch envelope which was provided at previous appointment. They will send British passport and OCI card within 7-10 working days.

Hope this helps.

jayaramsg
Newly Registered

Post by jayaramsg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:39 am

Hi Folks,

I applied for my OCI on 07/01/2016 in person. I was asked to check my progress status on this website :- https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury. It is 5 weeks now since I applied and even now my status is shown as "No such record found". How can I get my status ? How long should I have to wait?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Jay

longshift

Post by longshift » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:10 am

jayaramsg wrote:Hi Folks,

I applied for my OCI on 07/01/2016 in person. I was asked to check my progress status on this website :- https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury. It is 5 weeks now since I applied and even now my status is shown as "No such record found". How can I get my status ? How long should I have to wait?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Jay
It should not say no such record found. It should say under process. Are you putting correct details?

The link to check status is https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury

This is what it says on the status page for my application.

Applicant Name ***** ****** *****
File Acknowledgment Number GBRL******
Date Of Acknowledgment **-FEB-2016
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS

*** is to hide personal details.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:23 pm

On status enquiry page, pls put your british passport number and GBRL application number. This GBRL should be same as that of the application form which you submitted at VFS.

goldenstarnice
India

Post by goldenstarnice » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Thank you very much theaviator380, very useful. I've done upload just with my British passport and submitted. Is there anyway can I upload more now?

goldenstarnice
India

Post by goldenstarnice » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Do I have to self attest Before uploading them into OCI website?

Can I do the attestation for my kids?

goldenstarnice
India

oci Acquisition Method

Post by goldenstarnice » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:04 am

Hi There,

Could someone please help me, I am confused.

When my baby was born My wife and I were both british passport holder and then we applied we applied british passport for our baby and got it. I am wondering on what basis I can apply for OCI for my kid. Do I have to register my baby in Indian consulate.

For OCI for my baby, what should I choose for Acquisition Method?

By Birth/By descent/OTHER

Many Thanks for your help.

goldenstarnice
India

OCI vfs appointment book

Post by goldenstarnice » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:06 am

Hi There,

Can someone please tell me, do I need to book an appointment with VFS for OCI new application. I can't find anything from their website or can I just visit and handover online application form and docs.

Thanks

goldenstarnice
India

OCI Correction

Post by goldenstarnice » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi There,

Is there anyway to make correction of part-a, i entered date wrong.

Can I recheck the uploaded document once I uploaded.

Thanks

geriatrix

Re: OCI vfs appointment book

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:46 pm

goldenstarnice wrote:Hi There,

Can someone please tell me, do I need to book an appointment with VFS for OCI new application. I can't find anything from their website or can I just visit and handover online application form and docs.

Thanks
How to apply?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix

Re: OCI Correction

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:50 pm

goldenstarnice wrote:Is there anyway to make correction of part-a, i entered date wrong.
If you have "submitted" the application (online), then I believe you cannot (online). I don't think there is anything to stop you from starting a new application afresh and just ignore the one you have submitted online (and not present that at VFS).

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:15 am

See also Applications for minor children.
Your UK-born child (who is a British citizen too) is also an Indian citizen by descent.