ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to survive on one income with foreign spouse

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Casa

Re: How to survive on one income with foreign spouse

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:18 pm

There would no point in re-locating to Scotland...as you rightly guessed...it is part of the UK :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Casa wrote:There would no point in re-locating to Scotland...as you rightly guessed...it is part of the UK :|
And this is when I think everyone should have to take the life in the UK test.... oy vey!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:Thats gonna be incredibly hard for me to do. I live in the same city as my kids from previous marriage at the moment. Moving to another country is gonna be really hard on them. obviously I have obligations to my wife as well but I think I'll use this as a last resort. I take it Scotland still comes under UK law? So nearest options are Ireland or France, spain, germany etc?

The cost and planning and finding a job for relocation is a major task. I could prob manage scotland
Yeah, Eire, or Germany etc. Not so bad, flights are cheap etc, Scotland is UK so no dice, as is IoM etc, considered part of UK for immigration purposes....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:43 pm

I wasn't sure if we had devolved on immigration issues, I thought I might have remembered Scotland having some autonomy on immigration but evidently not.

Flights are cheap to Germany but I would need to sort out a place to live, job etc. Its a major undertaking. Serious life change. I wonder how people going down the SS route manage that. I take it they make a short term relocation for 3 months or 6 months?

I guess I will start having a look at EU countries then. Jobs would be a starting point.

Any countries to watch out for in terms of immigration laws or are all of central and southern europe and scandinavia all pretty much the same in terms of getting free visa application?

I am looking at jobs in germany and they require fluent german. I have no other language besides english. any countries where engineering jobs likely to be in english?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:52 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:I wasn't sure if we had devolved on immigration issues, I thought I might have remembered Scotland having some autonomy on immigration but evidently not.

Flights are cheap to Germany but I would need to sort out a place to live, job etc. Its a major undertaking. Serious life change. I wonder how people going down the SS route manage that. I take it they make a short term relocation for 3 months or 6 months?

I guess I will start having a look at EU countries then. Jobs would be a starting point.

Any countries to watch out for in terms of immigration laws or are all of central and southern europe and scandinavia all pretty much the same in terms of getting free visa application?

I am looking at jobs in germany and they require fluent german. I have no other language besides english. any countries where engineering jobs likely to be in english?
Thing is, these rules were designed to help those displaced from their home EU State due to work, family etc, not as a backdoor to avoid UK rules....

You have to bear that in mind and take it onboard. It's not a easy way out.....

If you need fluent German, learn it, we all have to do what's necessary, there is no universal panacea....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Ireland and possibly Denmark.

You should be aware that Ireland is currently delaying issue C visas and have a backlog in excess of 7,000 applications, mostly from migrants trying to use the Surinder Singh route and trying to bypass the UK Immigration Rules and that is without David Cameron acknowledging the ridiculous abuse of this route.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 03581.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Learning a new language won't be easy from scratch. That would take years. Especially to a level where you can work on space programs etc where high level vocab is needed

If Ireland is out of the question then i guess ill have a look at denmark or discount the SS route and stick to the UK route.

I have enough salary anyway for here.

I take it my only option is the 2 year visa route if i opt for the uk?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:16 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:Learning a new language won't be easy from scratch. That would take years. Especially to a level where you can work on space programs etc where high level vocab is needed

If Ireland is out of the question then i guess ill have a look at denmark or discount the SS route and stick to the UK route.

I have enough salary anyway for here.

I take it my only option is the 2 year visa route if i opt for the uk?
Most of these programs are conducted in English anyway, certainly in my industry, no local language needed, however it's common decency to learn.

Doesn't escape the real issue tho - backdoor way of entry to UK....

Forget Denmark, unless ur in Banking etc you'll need Danish or Swedish etc, I suspect this is not the route for you.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:28 pm

Noajthan recommends Malta as an English speaking EU & Commonwealth country. Worth checking it out.

And yes, Scotland is still a part of the UK.You must have slept through the results of the Scottish referendum. :)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:I take it my only option is the 2 year visa route if i opt for the uk?
The 2 year spouse visa route has been replaced by the 5 year route, with the entry clearance being granted for 33 months.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:50 pm

vinny wrote:
Jon.Mason wrote:I take it my only option is the 2 year visa route if i opt for the uk?
The 2 year spouse visa route has been replaced by the 5 year route, with the entry clearance being granted for 33 months.
It's 5 years to get Indefinite Leave to Remain but the visa I am applying lasts 2 years before i need to reapply right for another 2 year visa?

By 2 year route i meant the 2 year spousal visa

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:01 am

It's a 33 months spouse visa (D-ECP) followed by a 30 months FLR(M) (D-LTRP). Then SET(M) (D-ILRP).

However, note that the initial vignette is only valid for 30 days, which effectively undermines the 33-month validity of the entry clearance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:26 pm

secret.simon wrote:Noajthan recommends Malta as an English speaking EU & Commonwealth country. Worth checking it out.

And yes, Scotland is still a part of the UK.You must have slept through the results of the Scottish referendum. :)
Malta:
  • English-speaking;
    Anglophile country;
    good climate;
    airport & large port/marinas - so may be some sort of engineering work to be found;
    obviously a seasonal tourist sector too;
- what's not to like?!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:39 am

vinny wrote:It's a 33 months spouse visa followed by a 30 months FLR(M). Then SET(M).

However, note that the initial vignette is only valid for 30 days, which effectively undermines the 33-month validity of the entry clearance.
Are you able to explain what those acronyms mean?

Also, the UK Gov website says the spousal visa is 2 years. Am I missing something?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 am

FLR(M) = Further Leave to Remain application, on the basis of Marriage/partner to a settled or British person.

SET(M) = SETtlement application, on the basis of Marriage/partner to a settled or British person.

The 2 year route is only applicable for people who initially applied in this category prior to 9th July 2012.
7. Extend your visa wrote:Your initial stay will be:

33 months if you applied as a partner (27 months if you applied before 9 July 2012)

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:33 pm

I am looking to bring my wife over from morocco and as far as I can see there are 5 requirements:

1 Income above 18.8k (I have a 25k income currently so this is not problem)

2 English Language (Questions on this below)

3 Medical Test (Questions on this below)

4 Suitable Accommodation (Questions on this below)

5 Proof of marriage (A Moroccan document translated by Moroccan translator will presumably be ok)

In other words, prove we are married, have enough money to live, have a home to live in, ensure my wife is not bringing any diseases to the country and she can speak English.

I am a British National.

My questions are as follows:

+I looked on this document for suitable english tests but it didnt have a website or number for morocco, just an address. I would prefer to call up. Any info on number or website?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf

+What do I need besides tenancy agreement for house? Who can I use in order to approve the house as suitable?

+Do i apply online, in UK, or does my wife apply from Morocco?

+Who do I use in morocco for TB/health test? Website and number will be appreciated.

+For proof of marriage, will marriage certificate translated by an official moroccan translor suffice? Do we need pictures, plane tickets etc? I heard I need proof of sending money and phone logs but I mainly use whatsapp and skype and dont really send over money. Is this necessary?

+For proof of income, is bank account ok or do i need work contract etc? My contract is only a 1 year contract, will this give me problems or should I find permanent employment?

Many thanks in advance
Jon.Mason
Newly Registered

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:05 am

You also need to prove that the marriage is "genuine and subsisting", as just being in existence in law isn't enough.

In terms of the evidence, there are very detailed and specific requirements to prove income, etc. You need to read, and then re-read (as they were drafted by someone who liked to make life complicated) to make sure you have ALL the documents in ALL the necessary formats.

Appendix FM and Appendix FM-SE documents are necessary.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:05 am

+1 Amanda.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.