ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP Approved.. Info req on FLR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hsmpseek

HSMP Approved.. Info req on FLR

Post by hsmpseek » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Hello All,

Currently, I am in the UK and got the HSMP approval letter today.

I read the FLR guidance notes but I thought its better to take practical advise from people active on this forum because I couldnt find answers there.

- I am currently working on WP which is going to expire on 8-Feb-2008 and my employer will initiate the process of renewing the WP in early Jan 2008.
- I wish to do HSMP stamping only after 3 months. i.e. approx March 2008 end.
- Once HSMP is stamped, I am planning to leave current company and search something on my own.

Is it fine if I go ahead with WP renewal and later apply for HSMP visa? Are there any complications / threats involved in this approach which I am not able to foresee.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

HSMP Seek

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:21 pm

HSMPSeek,

If it helps, mine is a very similar situation. I've enquired about this with HO and they mentioned it's perfectly alright to do this.

Any reason why you don't want to get you FLR for HSMP stamped earlier. This way you can avoid unnecessary problem with your employer because they may not like it if you leave the next month after they renew your WP.

SKUK

hsmpseek

Post by hsmpseek » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Man.. our case matches... !!

I also called sometime back and the official said that its perfectly alright to renew the WP now and file for HSMP later (before 6 months)

This thought as yours came to my mind too but I dont know how employer will react if I tell him that I have HSMP approval... Also, I do not wish to utilize HSMP visa for my current employer...
I came here in October and just to maintain good terms with employer, I wish to spend at least 6 months.. I think thats enough...

Lets see.. I will start preparing for interviews, study and give some certifications during this time...

HSMP Seek
SKUK wrote:HSMPSeek,

If it helps, mine is a very similar situation. I've enquired about this with HO and they mentioned it's perfectly alright to do this.

Any reason why you don't want to get you FLR for HSMP stamped earlier. This way you can avoid unnecessary problem with your employer because they may not like it if you leave the next month after they renew your WP.

SKUK

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:02 pm

Good luck to you and I m sure you'll taste success...

gordon

Post by gordon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:35 pm

It seems to me that your employer will be more annoyed with you if he goes to the trouble and expense to obtain a work permit for you, only for you to decamp a month later on HSMP. A former employee of mine did something similar to me, and when I was later asked for a reference, I didn't have much in the way of positive things to say. Just something to consider if you're serious about remaining on good terms with that employer when it counts - in the future.
AG

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:34 am

gordon wrote:It seems to me that your employer will be more annoyed with you if he goes to the trouble and expense to obtain a work permit for you, only for you to decamp a month later on HSMP. A former employee of mine did something similar to me, and when I was later asked for a reference, I didn't have much in the way of positive things to say. Just something to consider if you're serious about remaining on good terms with that employer when it counts - in the future.
AG
Well you should have given an accurate reference, people have the right to leave their employer.
Sorry you felt burned but employers never give a second thought to sacking employees in the name of business success.

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:14 am

SYH wrote:Well you should have given an accurate reference, people have the right to leave their employer.
Sorry you felt burned but employers never give a second thought to sacking employees in the name of business success.
It's neither unusual nor inappropriate for a reference to reflect both the employee's performance on the job as well as his professionalism (including in his manner of leaving). I'm not disputing that employees have the right to leave when they want to do so, but they are accountable for the way in which they do so. And future employers, if they ask, have some entitlement to know what they can reasonably expect in the way of professional behaviour from their shortlisted job applicants. What goes around, comes around, as they say; and burning bridges (or even just leaving them slightly singed) has consequences. That was the point of the caution.
Last edited by gordon on Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:31 am

gordon wrote:
And just because employers can make employees redundant at any time does not make it acceptable for employees to manipulate their employers and then leave said employers in the lurch. What goes around, comes around, as they say; and burning bridges (or even just leaving them slightly singed) has consequences. That was the point of the caution.
You mean you felt manipulated. It doesn't mean you were. You are telling me, If she had said, I am interested in broadening my horizens, you mind I try HSMP. You would have been gung ho and supportive. Let's be practical. That's just not practical. You see everyone on here saying, I think my employer has a suspicious I am applying for HSMP. It is very difficult to tell the employer that you are interested in leaving. You think you put time and effort to get the employee here. You wouldn't have done it unless you wanted her skillset. You think you did her a favour? Please do not come down with megalomania. It is just sour grapes on your part to let it influence the quality of your reference. People move on. And the employer never likes it when it is the employee who decides versus them.

hsmpseek

Post by hsmpseek » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:35 am

Let me tell you Gordon..

- I came to UK in October 1st week and currently I am at client site on 6 months contract. Currently my employer has assured me 6 months and to be in good terms with my employer I have decided to stay for that
much time. I can even leave before that.

- Additionally, In case client doesnt extend the contract, I may have to go back. I have spent INR 32000 and 45000 on tickets and visa of my dependents which will not be reimbursed if I go back in 6 months.

- So anyway my employer is extending my WP with the visibility of 2 months. Am I right?

- And WP extension cost is not so very high as compared to revenue we generate.

- I Came to UK using my previous WP only on 2 days notice. If I would have come 1 day late my current WP would have turned invalid. So I have already saved lot of headache and given him revenue. Getting new WP from India takes 1 and half months nowadays.

- I will give him 2 months notice before leaving. So that much time is sufficient to arrange for new resource.

Employer is right but employee is not wrong too my friend.

HSMP Seek

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:14 am

SYH: Right. Let's be practical: it doesn't matter whether a departing employee means to be manipulative or unprofessional; it only matters whether the employer receives the impression that the employee has behaved thus toward him. And that will influence the reference. Is this unfair? Perhaps. Is this reflective of asymmetric power in the relationship? Probably. Is the perspective one-sided? Absolutely. But I would point out that I very rarely feel uncharitable toward employees who move on, so I'm not sure where you get off characterising my behaviour as 'megalomania' or 'sour grapes'.

HSMP Seek: The further details you provided change your position materially. Being brought into the UK on a series of short contracts with explicit exit/break clauses means that it's fine what you're planning to do. My comments were about permanent employees (open-ended or long-term contracts).

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:46 am

gordon wrote:SYH: Right. Let's be practical: it doesn't matter whether a departing employee means to be manipulative or unprofessional; it only matters whether the employer receives the impression that the employee has behaved thus toward him. And that will influence the reference. Is this unfair? Perhaps. Is this reflective of asymmetric power in the relationship? Probably. Is the perspective one-sided? Absolutely. But I would point out that I very rarely feel uncharitable toward employees who move on, so I'm not sure where you get off characterising my behaviour as 'megalomania' or 'sour grapes'.
Whether the employer receives the impression. Cmon off it. There was nothing wrong with the employees performance until she left and thats the bottom line. And thats why its sour grapes if you say anything else but that she did her job. You can be sued anyway and most employers know that so to even insinuate that your reference would be negatively influenced is a big risk on your part.

touchsensor

Just a thought...

Post by touchsensor » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:09 am

If your company applies for a work permit after your HSMP approval and if you apply for FLR based on work permit approval, won't your HSMP automatically becomes invalid?

Just a thought that you might need to explore further....

P