ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Oci Query

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sonub4ualt
Member of Standing

Oci Query

Post by sonub4ualt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:44 am

Hi,

My wife is currently abroad with my two kids and will be coming back for her citizenship ceremony to be held in Apr'16.

My question is once she has her british passport she will apply for her surrender and then Oci. After applying OCI, she is planning to go back to india on a short term visa (as oci will take at least a month to process). I am also travelling with her to India as we have two toddlers to look after. Is there a possibility that after applying for her OCI when I return to UK can i bring along her passport with me, as once the OCI docs are processed the vfs suggests that any family member can submit the Foreign passport to collect the OCI. Will it create problem as the UK passport will have only entry stamped by immigration officer when she enters India, but not the exit from India as I will be carrying her passport with me to the UK.

Else is it better to apply for OCI from India, if so what is the process and how long will it take. She is planning to stay back in India for about 1 years time, as she has medical problems!!!

Is it okay for me to bring her passport along with me and get the OCI document and then post it back to her!!

Thanks
Sonu

sonub4ualt
Member of Standing

Re: Oci Query

Post by sonub4ualt » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:14 pm

sonub4ualt wrote:Hi,

My wife is currently abroad with my two kids and will be coming back for her citizenship ceremony to be held in Apr'16.

My question is once she has her british passport she will apply for her surrender and then Oci. After applying OCI, she is planning to go back to india on a short term visa (as oci will take at least a month to process). I am also travelling with her to India as we have two toddlers to look after. Is there a possibility that after applying for her OCI when I return to UK can i bring along her passport with me, as once the OCI docs are processed the vfs suggests that any family member can submit the Foreign passport to collect the OCI. Will it create problem as the UK passport will have only entry stamped by immigration officer when she enters India, but not the exit from India as I will be carrying her passport with me to the UK.

Else is it better to apply for OCI from India, if so what is the process and how long will it take. She is planning to stay back in India for about 1 years time, as she has medical problems!!!

Is it okay for me to bring her passport along with me and get the OCI document and then post it back to her!!

Thanks
Sonu
Any suggestions please?
My partner has already applied for her british passport.

Thanks & Regards,
Sonu

alien.uk
Mood:

Post by alien.uk » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 am

sonub4ualt wrote:Hi,

Thanks
Sonu

Hi - Applying OCI from India is the only option as per your situation that you have described.
Although not strictly advised, physical presence of the applicant can be demanded by the issuing authority.
I would guess that the OCI timelines only will improve applying from India as all the printing happens at Delhi saving time for the booklet on post between UK / India.

As things are online now, the SLAs are strictly followed and I would say applying from India has more advantage than applying from here
Alien UK
ILR received - November 2014
Applied for Naturalisation - Feb 2016
Naturalisation Approval - Mar 2016
Passport Received - April 2016

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:49 am

sonub4ualt:
From OCI FAQs:
For collection of the OCI Cardholder registration booklet, the applicant is required to be present at the concerned Indian Mission/FRRO in person or he/she can send a duly authorized person, along with his/her passport and the original documents for which self-attested copies were attached at the time of submitting application, for verification purposes. However, the condition is that the applicant should be physically present in the country of issuance of OCI cardholder registration booklet when it is collected through an authorized person. If a person is not in a position to travel to the country of issuance of the OCI cardholder registration booklet, he/she could procure it through the concerned Indian Mission/ FRRO of their present place of stay by making a formal request to the office issuing the OCI Cardholder registration booklet.
alien.uk:
See also this post.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!