ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

stj
Newly Registered

British Passport Application

Post by stj » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi members,

I am planning to apply for my 1st British passport.

My questions are

1) When applying for British Passport, do I have to attach my ILR BRP card along with my current passport to HMPO?
2) I know one photo gets countersigned, do I need to write my full name on the back of the other photo?
3) On section 2: if I do not have an alternative phone number, shall I leave it blank?
4) On section 5: place of issue of Naturalisation: Shall I just write "London" or the name of Registered Office from where the certificate of naturalisation was issued?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport Application

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:47 pm

1. No
2. Please read the guidance notes, it clearly tells you what has to be written.
3. Yes.
4. HOME OFFICE LONDON (big capital letters in the centre of your certificate).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

stj
Newly Registered

Post by stj » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi CR001,

Thanks for your reply.

2. I read the guidance, it tells in detail how one photo needs to be countersigned, and does not mention anything about the other photo. Shall I just assume that I do not write anything on the back of the other photo?

Thanks

regards,
S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Only one photo has to be countersigned. Guidance clearly states that on page 10.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

stj
Newly Registered

Post by stj » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi CR001,

Thanks for your reply.

I have 2 more questions please:

1) In section 4: there are four boxes to put a cross mark on. Which of those boxes need to be ticked please?
2) In section 9 I have signed, do I also have to write the date there?
I am asking this as I did not need fill in Name (if signing on behalf of child) and Relationship to child...

thanks again for your time

Regards,
S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:10 pm

I don't have a copy of the form in front of me so cannot comment about Section 4.

Section 9, sign form but DO NOT write date in signature box and write the date in the date box underneath and write your name where required and relationship to child.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

tan84
Newly Registered

Post by tan84 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:26 pm

HELLO STJ:

Your BRP should be sent back to home office within 5 days of having ceremony or you may be fined.

Only one photo needs to be named and countersigned.

In regards to your question of place of issue: it will be the name of the council you get your certificate from. You only get your certificate once you naturalised, and someone from the council will put the date in there once you are done and dusted with your ceremony.(you become a British Citizen from that time and moment, which is mentioned on the certificate,NOT at the time the certificate was printed!). So it won't be HOME OFFICE LONDON, rather,it will be the name of the council.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:40 pm

tan84 wrote:in regards to your question of place of issue: it will be the name of the council you get your certificate from. You only get your certificate once you naturalised, and someone from the council will put the date in there once you are done and dusted with your ceremony.(you become a British Citizen from that time and moment, which is mentioned on the certificate,NOT at the time the certificate was printed!). So it won't be HOME OFFICE LONDON, rather,it will be the name of the council.
Please do not give incorrect advice. Home Office issues the certificates. Councils only give them out and are a third party on behalf of HO. HOME OFFICE LONDON is the correct thing to write.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

tan84
Newly Registered

Post by tan84 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 pm

@CR00

I am not sir. With due respect to your view, I am a solicitor practicing in immigration myself and we deal with similar kind of issues everyday. The question on the passport form is place and date of issue. HOME OFFICE is the authority which issued it (not directly to the applicant but to the agent namely the council). You won't find a date on naturalisation certificate itself until the council dignitary puts the date in there and the date will be the day of the ceremony. The council is an agent acting on behalf of it's principal HOME OFFICE. You can however put HOME OFFICE LONDON and your application will definitely go through. But the answer I suggested is prescribed in British Immigration Practice Handbook, 4th edition, vol 1 by O Richards. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:26 pm

And you are trying to 'teach' me how it works? Been through the process for myself and my family and helped friends, think I know what I am talking about.

As well as below from the passport guidance booklet :
The Yes box applies if the person named in
section 2 has been granted a certificate of
registration or naturalisation by the Home
Office. Provide details from the certificate
of registration or naturalisation here
Don't assume that we are all just random uneducated n immigration people on the forum or have not been through the long and expensive processes ourselves or that we are not necessary qualified in immigration either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

tan84
Newly Registered

Post by tan84 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:37 pm

CR001

Provide details from certificate: of course, where else will you get the certificate number from?

I am not trying to teach you my friend and I am sure that you have helped with thousands of applications/queries. No one rattled your cage, so no need to get upset about it.

I haver never assumed that you are uneducated and I do not know who you are referring to by "we are all".

Thank you. Over and out.

stj
Newly Registered

Received by IPS?

Post by stj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi,

I have applied for my passport using post office check & send service. They did not give me a tracking number. How do I know if my application has been received by IPS?

Thanks

Regards,

S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Received by IPS?

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Is the tracking number not on your receipt?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

stj
Newly Registered

Post by stj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi CR001,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes there is one ref in the receipt. So do I have to call the passport office to know if they have received my application?

thanks

regards,

S

1kiril
BANNED

Post by 1kiril » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:29 pm

I wouldn't doubt for a second that they have received it. Check&Send is solid.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Track it on the Royal Mail or Post Office website.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Track it on the Royal Mail or Post Office website.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

stj
Newly Registered

Post by stj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:07 pm

I do not think this is a royal mail tracking number, it does not start with a letter, nor it ends with GB.

It is just a 9 digit Barcode reference number, also tried using this barcode ref in the tracker in the post office website and says this is not a correct reference.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:15 pm

stj wrote:I do not think this is a royal mail tracking number, it does not start with a letter, nor it ends with GB.

It is just a 9 digit Barcode reference number, also tried using this barcode ref in the tracker in the post office website and says this is not a correct reference.
Track it here :!:
https://www.gov.uk/track-passport-application
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

stj
Newly Registered

British Passport - secured return of docs

Post by stj » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:54 am

Hi All,

If you have paid £3 extra for a secured delivery of your docs, does anybody what courier HMPO use to send the docs back?

regards
S

1kiril
BANNED

Re: British Passport - secured return of docs

Post by 1kiril » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:06 am

Mine was DX. I've heard they are using a few couriers tho.

stj
Newly Registered

British Passport delivery

Post by stj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi,

Does HMPO use DX to deliver British Passport?

Thanks,

S

Malik44

Re: British Passport delivery

Post by Malik44 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Yes