ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bachelors Degree for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tripas33
India

Bachelors Degree for Citizenship

Post by tripas33 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Hello Friends,

Need advice from you on English Language requirement for my British Citizenship Application I am looking to apply next month.

I got my Bachelors Degree with me and also a letter from the Institute that the course was taught and researched in English Language. My Bachelors Degree is also listed under PBS as equivalent to UK Bachelors Degree.However for my ILR application in 2014 , I used my Master's Degree. I also used my same Master's degree for my Tier-1 applications. I left my Master Degree back in my home country and also do not have letter from university stating that Masters Degree was taught in English hence want to submit my Bachelors Degree for the citizenship application.
Do you think using Bachelors Degree should be fine ?
Or is there any clause that I should use the same Degree as I used for my ILR or earlier visas ?

Thanks and Reg,
Tripas
Reg,
Tripas

tier1o

Re: Bachelors Degree for Citizenship

Post by tier1o » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:11 pm

You can use bachelor's degree but you will need ELA from UK NARIC; please see page 14 on the AN Guide

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:30 pm

tier1o wrote:You can use bachelor's degree but you will need ELA from UK NARIC; please see page 14 on the AN Guide
Thanks for replying. I looked at the guide. On page 14 it says,

confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013, in order to obtain settlement

I got my ILR in 2014 hence I am thinking to give print out from PBS instead of NARIC and a letter from my university. Only thing is I will submit my Bachelors original degree which I did not use earlier for my ILR.

Reg,
Reg,
Tripas

Malik44

Post by Malik44 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:11 am

PBS calculator nor longer avaialable on UKBA site and you did'nt used your Bachlor degree neither in your settlement So I would recommend to go with
tripas33 wrote:
tier1o wrote:You can use bachelor's degree but you will need ELA from UK NARIC; please see page 14 on the AN Guide
and also read this for furher information
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:16 am

I think the clause is different for residents who got the ILR after 2013. In which case I need to confirm that I proved my English requirement for ILR after 2013.Any thoughts ?
Reg,
Tripas

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:19 am

See also FAQs - English language requirements for naturalisation
Unable to understand why people don't read it "first"!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks Geriatrix for sending the URL.

I wanted to check if it is compulsory to use the same qualification for BC application as used for ILR application ?
I used my Masters for ILR but got my Bachelors Degree with me here in UK which I want to use for my BC application.

Reg,
Tripas
Reg,
Tripas

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:25 am

tripas33 wrote:Thanks Geriatrix for sending the URL.

I wanted to check if it is compulsory to use the same qualification for BC application as used for ILR application ?
I used my Masters for ILR but got my Bachelors Degree with me here in UK which I want to use for my BC application.

Reg,
Tripas
You can use your Bachelors degree.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks !
Reg,
Tripas

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Casa wrote:

Reg,
Tripas
You can use your Bachelors degree.
Casa, from the OP conversion, his bachelor's degree is not from the UK; OP haven't used his Bachelor's degree previously nor NARIC ELA validated. From
AN Guide wrote: An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show
us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK
degree)
A letter from the awarding university will not be sufficient as per AN Guide.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:50 pm

"but got my Bachelors Degree with me here in UK which I want to use for my BC application." I perhaps wrongly assumed the OP meant it was awarded in the UK. Thank you for the correction.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:55 pm

tier1o has given you the correct advice.
(Casa, not CR001)

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Sorry, but no one posting in this topic has given the OP correct advice (answer to the query). :(
Neither has the OP followed my suggestion. And if he has, he hasn't read the information carefully enough!!

Reg,
Tripas
No, it is not compulsory. But the real question is - Do you really need to "use" one or the other in your BC application?
The answer is in the FAQs, should you care to read carefully.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:10 pm

I was assuming that if the OP preferred to use a Bachelor degree, not previously submitted for ILR that he/she would need ELA from UK NARIC for the BC application. :?:
(Casa, not CR001)

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Casa, that's correct!
But the (real) question is whether the OP needs to use any of the degrees?

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:49 pm

geriatrix wrote:Sorry, but no one posting in this topic has given the OP correct advice (answer to the query). :(
It is not mandatory to use the same degree for naturalisation that has been previously used for ILR. However, the new degree must also satisfy the condition set by the english language requirements for naturalisation.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:16 am

tier1o wrote:
geriatrix wrote:Sorry, but no one posting in this topic has given the OP correct advice (answer to the query). :(
It is not mandatory to use the same degree for naturalisation that has been previously used for ILR. However, the new degree must also satisfy the condition set by the english language requirements for naturalisation.
Explain to me why the OP has to use a "degree" to fulfill KoLL requirements. Before you respond to that, will appreciate if you read the FAQs or guide AN or form AN carefully beforehand.

Human

Post by Human » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:21 am

Thats great advice geriatrix.

He is in exempt category for English language requirement and no need to provide any proof. He has already met the criteria in an ILR application after 28th Oct 2013.

Peeps, remember submitting unnecessary documents to be on safer side will only result in confusing the case worker.

tripas33
India

Post by tripas33 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:54 am

Human wrote:Thats great advice geriatrix.

He is in exempt category for English language requirement and no need to provide any proof. He has already met the criteria in an ILR application after 28th Oct 2013.

Peeps, remember submitting unnecessary documents to be on safer side will only result in confusing the case worker.
Thanks Human for the advise.If I don't submit the original degree certificate as being exempt , do you know,if the case worker needs it will he/she ask for it or will they reject the application right away ?

Thanks.
Reg,
Tripas

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:36 pm

Geriatrix, to avoid confusion, the OP question was, he has used masters degree for ILR but wanted to use his bachelor's degree for naturalisation. OP query was not on the exempt option. That's why, the responses are that the bechalor's degree has to have ELA from UK NARIC.

If the OP uses exempt (I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013), he should be fine. However, if submitting a new document(degree) then it should follow the guidelines.
tripas33 wrote: I left my Master Degree back in my home country
Having said that, NCS will definitely ask for the document(original degree) that has been previously used.