ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Oath vs Affirmation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sofiathefirst

Oath vs Affirmation

Post by Sofiathefirst » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if it's more common to take an oath or make an affirmation during the citizenship ceremony.

I know it's an individual choice and we can choose whichever we prefer but was just wondering if anyone knew which is the more common method preferred.

Thanks
Sofiathefirst

Casa

Re: Oath vs Affirmation

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 pm

It would be impossible to say which is more common. It depends on how many within the group on the day prefer for religious reasons to swear an oath on the Bible and those for religious (or agnostic) reasons prefer to affirm.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Sofiathefirst wrote:Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if it's more common to take an oath or make an affirmation during the citizenship ceremony.

I know it's an individual choice and we can choose whichever we prefer but was just wondering if anyone knew which is the more common method preferred.

Thanks
Sofiathefirst
Sounds like a great FOI (whatdotheyknow) request.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Sofiathefirst

Post by Sofiathefirst » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks,

Yes, that would be interesting to know.

Any suggestions which would be better in the case a person has no preference. I have my ceremony soon and would just like to go with whichever way the greater majority of people take it, however have no idea which that is..

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:21 pm

You won't know until the day....and in fact you won't even know in advance what each attendee has elected to do. The percentage of Christians, attendees of other religions preferring not to swear an oath on the Bible, agnostics, atheists ...predicting that would be odds of a lottery. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Sofiathefirst wrote:Thanks,

Any suggestions which would be better in the case a person has no preference. I have my ceremony soon and would just like to go with whichever way the greater majority of people take it, however have no idea which that is..
I don't really think anyone would be able say one was better compared to the other. As Casa has mentioned its really personal preference. As far as how many would swear on the bible vs affirm, on the day I attended my ceremony earlier this year, it was a 50:50 split, with red vs. blue cards given (with the words to recite) and associated seating on two different sides of the middle aisle.

But that arrangement may ofcourse differ at different councils.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Suggest simply doing what feels right for you on your special day.
You won't know your co-citizens so why not just make it your day. Quirky individuality is, after all, part of being British.

My wife chose to carry her personal copy of the Bible, and took the oath and we had a 'good day'.
On the other hand, others on that day didn't seem to bothered by the ceremony one way or the other, just turned up and got it over with.

In general I'm sure other people may well take a Koran or Torah (etc) and they would be welcome to do so.
Didn't notice anyone wearing a colander on their head but you never know.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:31 pm

cs95tdg wrote:

I don't really think anyone would be able say one was better compared to the other. As Casa has mentioned its really personal preference. As far as how many would swear on the bible vs affirm, on the day I attended my ceremony earlier this year, it was a 50:50 split, with red vs. blue cards given (with the words to recite) and associated seating on two different sides of the middle aisle.
On the day of my husband's ceremony, it was actually a much higher percentage of attendees electing to affirm and there was no separation in seating.
(Casa, not CR001)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Casa wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:

On the day of my husband's ceremony, it was actually a much higher percentage of attendees electing to affirm and there was no separation in seating.
I remember thinking that my local council must have assigned ceremony dates based on individual preferences mentioned at the time of booking the ceremony date, otherwise it would be too much of a coincidence to have an exact 50:50 split in numbers.

Sofiathefirst

Post by Sofiathefirst » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Thank you very everyone for your responses.

As Noajthan has suggested, I think it would be a good idea to follow my heart and just do what feels right on the day :)

Gomjaba

Post by Gomjaba » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 am

During my ceremony we had about 20 Oath people and 15 Affirmation ones ... pretty close to 50:50 .... if not exactly 50:50 actually

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:52 pm

For my ceremony, only 2 out of 20 or so went with Oath. Rest were affirmation.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:34 pm

noajthan wrote: Didn't notice anyone wearing a colander on their head but you never know.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

Sofiathefirst

Post by Sofiathefirst » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Thank you guys for the information..

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 01, 2016 4:05 am

wpilr_nov12 wrote:
noajthan wrote: Didn't notice anyone wearing a colander on their head but you never know.
Thanks for the suggestion.
That was not a suggestion, that was a reference to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Also see this Daily Mail article.

When I had gone for my naturalisation ceremony, the Bangladeshi gentleman next to me was trying to understand why anybody would affirm. Surely everybody must believe in God!!! That was in spite of many ladies in hijab being in the group that was affirming.

It was a roughly 60(oath)-40(affirmation) split at the ceremony.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.