ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility of wife's application for British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

asmiali

Eligibility of wife's application for British citizenship

Post by asmiali » Tue May 03, 2016 5:51 pm

My wife and I both have the ILR. I have been in the country for 5 years while my wife is only been in the country for 4. I recently applied for British Citizenship and was successful in my application. obviously my wife was not able to apply as she had only been in the country for four years. my question is now that I have the British citizenship can my wife apply on the basis of the fact that she is now the spouse of a British citizen and only needs to have been in the country for three years

noajthan

Re: Eligibility of wife's application for British citizenshi

Post by noajthan » Tue May 03, 2016 5:54 pm

asmiali wrote:My wife and I both have the ILR. I have been in the country for 5 years while my wife is only been in the country for 4. I recently applied for British Citizenship and was successful in my application. obviously my wife was not able to apply as she had only been in the country for four years. my question is now that I have the British citizenship can my wife apply on the basis of the fact that she is now the spouse of a British citizen and only needs to have been in the country for three years
Yes she can as she has had the foresight to be married to a BC!
Apply under section 6(2) of BNA.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue May 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Assuming your wife meets all the standard requirements, she can apply for BC as soon as she has been granted ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:38 pm

And assuming you have already attended your ceremony as you are only British once the ceremony is done.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

asmiali

Post by asmiali » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks folks. Can I also confirm that the form to be used is still AN.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 04, 2016 11:28 am

asmiali wrote:Thanks folks. Can I also confirm that the form to be used is still AN.
Yes
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.