ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children born in UK before mother's UKM registration

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aledeniz

Children born in UK before mother's UKM registration

Post by aledeniz » Thu May 12, 2016 4:32 pm

A grandmother was British, born in UK, she married an Italian citizen, and moved to Italy.
The grandmother's children were born in Italy, and gained Italian citizenship at birth through their father, the grandfather.
The grandfather died, and the grandmother moved back to UK, taking the children with her.
The mother, daughter of the grandmother, was born in 1979 in Italy, so she was not given British citizenship in 1983.
The mother has married an Italian citizen as well, and they have children, all born in UK, who have all lived in UK all of their life, but are all Italian citizens.
The mother and the children are all legally residing in UK as Italian citizens, e.g. exercising EEA treaty rights. At this point in time they all have settled status, although none of them has yet certified that through EEA3/EEA(PR).

If the mother registers as British citizen by descent through the form UKM, what happens to her children? Do they automatically become British citizens at birth, even though the registration of their mother will happen well after their birth?

secret.simon

Re: Children born in UK before mother's UKM registration

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 pm

aledeniz wrote:Do they automatically become British citizens at birth, even though the registration of their mother will happen well after their birth?
Registration as a British citizen is prospective and not retroactive. As the mother was not a British citizen at the time of birth, the children can not inherit a status that was not there.

If they have been born in the UK and are still minors, they are entitled to registration under Section 1(3) of the BNA 1981, using Form MN1.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu May 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Or registration using form T if they have been born in the UK and can show that they lived here until age 10 (in case they are of age).
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 pm

And any of the children born after a parent acquired settled status will have been born British.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 13, 2016 12:06 am

When were the children born in the UK?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

aledeniz

Post by aledeniz » Fri May 13, 2016 12:46 pm

vinny wrote:When were the children born in the UK?
2004 and 2007.

Given the answers above (thanks to everyone), it looks like for the 2004 child the only available avenues are registration through MN1 or T, while the other one should already be a citizen by birth.

As a side note, my view is that the current legislation for this scenario should really be amended.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 pm

aledeniz wrote: As a side note, my view is that the current legislation for this scenario should really be amended.
It is the current mess because well-meaning MPs and peers have amended it retrospectively so often. :D Less amendment (and less sentiment) would be better, in my view.
aledeniz wrote:the 2004 child the only available avenues are registration through MN1 or T, while the other one should already be a citizen by birth.
Why is that? Did either the mother or father acquire settled status and if so, when? Was it through ILR (pre-2000) or through PR under the EEA Regulations? Remember that PR requires proof of exercising treaty rights, which is more specific and more demanding than mere residence.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.