ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PinoyHarry
Newly Registered

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by PinoyHarry » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Any update from my fellow filipino-brit in regards with passport application?

After having my ceremony on March 22 in UK embassy in manila, we managed to send the application for passport after a week to our referee/countersignatory which is a Filipino-Brit who live in London and they send the documents to the UKIV. I can confirm that it arived 2weeks already and as per the status online its on processing still from after receiving. Surprising that some fella here got the passport within just a week and some are less. Well, hoping sooner or later something good will come up, hoping to see my Dad in a month in a month or two I guess, been without him for almost 15yrs now because of his health issue that UK took cared of.

tealcosmo
Newly Registered

Post by tealcosmo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:52 pm

W00t. I got my biometrics form and made my appointment for Vancouver!!

Hank007
Newly Registered

Post by Hank007 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:43 am

Nearly 12 weeks ago I applied for British citizenship using form ukf. According to the postal tracker my application arrived at the correct address, however I have received no form of acknowledgement from the home office. I am living overseas in New Zealand, my mother is a New Zealander and my father is a UK born citizen. As you can imagine I am feeling very apprehensive about the application considering it included personal documents of both me and my father. I have sent a very polite email to the home office seeking some form of acknowledgement, to which I received a terse automated frequently asked questions list, of which no questions had any relevance to my application. I was wondering if any one had any information or advice on how to go about dealing with the situation.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:08 am

Hank007 wrote:Nearly 12 weeks ago I applied for British citizenship using form ukf. According to the postal tracker my application arrived at the correct address, however I have received no form of acknowledgement from the home office. I am living overseas in New Zealand, my mother is a New Zealander and my father is a UK born citizen. As you can imagine I am feeling very apprehensive about the application considering it included personal documents of both me and my father. I have sent a very polite email to the home office seeking some form of acknowledgement, to which I received a terse automated frequently asked questions list, of which no questions had any relevance to my application. I was wondering if any one had any information or advice on how to go about dealing with the situation.
hi Hank007
if you have being following the thread ,you will know this thing require alot of patience. some of us had to wait for 5,6 months before anything even after bio metrics and some are still waiting. nothing to be apprehensive of.they will come around at their own time not yours.

update on my Passport application: they finally accepted my prove of address evidence and now am still under observation for 2weeks after then .9 weeks counting now since passport office received my application.cant believe its taking this long

NJProfessor
Newly Registered

Post by NJProfessor » Sun May 01, 2016 2:24 am

FINALLY.

Received a letter today via regular US Mail, that my application has been accepted and I should expect to get a letter inviting me to the ceremony within 12 weeks.

While my application was via UKM (not UKF) I posted on this thread a while back since I think US-based folks with both forms have been in similar circumstances, since biometrics remain unavailable here. It has been a ridiculously long slog.

I originally applied April 8, 2015, so it took just over a YEAR to get my approval. And it required I got to Toronto (last December) to do biometrics. But it finally seems to have happened.

I do want to thank other posters on this thread and others; I learned many things from your experiences that ended up helping in mine.

For those of you still waiting for six months or longer, I hope things are resolved soon.

ian_the_eagle
Newly Registered

Post by ian_the_eagle » Mon May 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi, I'm new to this, can anyone help me please,

I'm having problems with the vfsglobal website its useless, I have registered and it still won't let me log in,I received my biometrics letter today I'm from the philippines and i got till may 15 to get it done. if anyone can help it would be great thanks.

ian_the_eagle
Newly Registered

Post by ian_the_eagle » Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 pm

g_barrie_g wrote:BIOMETRICS

I have finally enrolled my facial and fingerprint details at VFS Singapore on 21 August 2015.
I have on my hand my Registration and Biometrics receipts.

VFS Singapore saved me from going beyond the 30 working days deadline in enrolling my Biometric details. As their appointment system for Overseas Citizenship applicants category is up and running smoothly. I am very thankful that the VFS Singapore staff were very accomodating, systematic and up to date about section 65 and UKF procedures.

Now I can peacefully wait again for the next process.

Hey barrie did you actually fly to Singapore to do your biometrics, Im having problems with the vfs website I'm from the Philippines as well, I just got my letter today i need to do my biometrics before May 15.
What is there can I do ?

ian_the_eagle
Newly Registered

Post by ian_the_eagle » Mon May 02, 2016 5:40 pm

PinoyHarry wrote:Hi Guys!
I've been following this forum for a couple of months now and it is very helpful and it feels really great to see the progress of some applicants here that have been approved and almost done with the process. It's great to know that there are also some Filipino applicants here that some have already got approved (Congrats Kapatids!) . For those who is still in the process waiting for an update don't lose hope guys a bit more everything will definitely fall to plan. Anyway I'm here to share my story and timeline of my application (well, me and my older sister).

I'm Harry 23y/o, from the Philippines, dad is a British and mom is a Filipina who are not married. This law and opportuniy is an answer to all of our prayers. Me and my Older sister are applying at the same time.

August 10 applications and Documents was sent to UKHO

August 15 the 80£ was been cashed by HO without any acknowledgement

Sept 15 Biometrics Request letter was made by the HO

Dec 02 when the letter arrived in our home and surprisingly it was the 30th or last business day for us to submit our biometrics so we rushed and have our biometrics taken at the same day

January 15 when the Letter was made by the UKHO that was sent to my dad in UK (he received it on the 19th of Jan) and the letter states that our Application have been successfull and we are expecting to receive an invitation for the citizenship ceremony here in the UK embassy in Manila. The letter said that if we dont receive an invitation within 6weeks we should email the email address that they provided which we did today since until now we are still waiting for an update. Hoping that sooner or later we can hear again from them. Anyway Goodluck to all of us here and will update if something will happen :)

Any heads up what will happen next? Thanks!!
Hi Harry, I would just like to know how did you do your biometrics in the Philippines, I'm having problems with the website, Ive called the vfs manila but they can't seem to help me, I'm in the Philippines and got till May 15 to submit my biometrics, any advice on what to do, thanks.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Mon May 02, 2016 8:13 pm

It's wonderful to hear that after such a long wait (which was massively unfair) things are moving along for you. I hope that bfrenchfry also receives good news (another April applicant) and that things end up happily for all of us before too long!

More than a year - that is grotesque. (I applied a month after you, in May, so I'm also receiving the extra-slow treatment which is apparently reserved for earlier applicants while the later ones breeze through). Best of luck for a speedy conclusion!
NJProfessor wrote:FINALLY.

Received a letter today via regular US Mail, that my application has been accepted and I should expect to get a letter inviting me to the ceremony within 12 weeks.

While my application was via UKM (not UKF) I posted on this thread a while back since I think US-based folks with both forms have been in similar circumstances, since biometrics remain unavailable here. It has been a ridiculously long slog.

I originally applied April 8, 2015, so it took just over a YEAR to get my approval. And it required I got to Toronto (last December) to do biometrics. But it finally seems to have happened.

I do want to thank other posters on this thread and others; I learned many things from your experiences that ended up helping in mine.

For those of you still waiting for six months or longer, I hope things are resolved soon.

PinoyHarry
Newly Registered

Post by PinoyHarry » Wed May 04, 2016 6:20 pm

ian_the_eagle wrote:
PinoyHarry wrote:Hi Guys!
I've been following this forum for a couple of months now and it is very helpful and it feels really great to see the progress of some applicants here that have been approved and almost done with the process. It's great to know that there are also some Filipino applicants here that some have already got approved (Congrats Kapatids!) . For those who is still in the process waiting for an update don't lose hope guys a bit more everything will definitely fall to plan. Anyway I'm here to share my story and timeline of my application (well, me and my older sister).

I'm Harry 23y/o, from the Philippines, dad is a British and mom is a Filipina who are not married. This law and opportuniy is an answer to all of our prayers. Me and my Older sister are applying at the same time.

August 10 applications and Documents was sent to UKHO

August 15 the 80£ was been cashed by HO without any acknowledgement

Sept 15 Biometrics Request letter was made by the HO

Dec 02 when the letter arrived in our home and surprisingly it was the 30th or last business day for us to submit our biometrics so we rushed and have our biometrics taken at the same day

January 15 when the Letter was made by the UKHO that was sent to my dad in UK (he received it on the 19th of Jan) and the letter states that our Application have been successfull and we are expecting to receive an invitation for the citizenship ceremony here in the UK embassy in Manila. The letter said that if we dont receive an invitation within 6weeks we should email the email address that they provided which we did today since until now we are still waiting for an update. Hoping that sooner or later we can hear again from them. Anyway Goodluck to all of us here and will update if something will happen :)

Any heads up what will happen next? Thanks!!
Hi Harry, I would just like to know how did you do your biometrics in the Philippines, I'm having problems with the website, Ive called the vfs manila but they can't seem to help me, I'm in the Philippines and got till May 15 to submit my biometrics, any advice on what to do, thanks.
Hi Ian,
The vsf Web has a problem even before, it wont let you set an appointment or schedule. But it will give you a receipt that has a bar code that you need to submit in the vsf office. Just go there in the office bring the receipt of the bio registration and all of the docs and they will definitely get you biometrics. I hope this helps :) anyway ask for a supervisor at the front desk in the vsf office. Keep us updated

canabrit
Newly Registered

Post by canabrit » Sat May 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Well everyone,

I'm pretty much signing off. I got my passport yesterday, so I'm all wrapped up (or, nearly- but I'll get to that in a minute).

Here are my details...
sept 30- UKF app sent from Canada.
oct 2nd - received, liverpool.
oct 12- payment taken.
dec 1st(?)- biometrics invitation letter received (dated 27th Nov), along with 1/3rd of my documents.
dec 15- biometrics completed in Canada.
feb 17th- acceptance letter received (dated Feb 2nd) another 1/3rd of documents returned.
april 14 - citizenship ceremony
april 27- passport documents sent to Durham
may 6th - passport arrives in canada via DHL

So, a couple notes to mention. My timeline seems about average. There are people who shot through much quicker, and those like Antsmall, bfrenchfry, NJprof, etc. who took much longer (though I believe they're all USA based, which had an extra complication with biometrics). It was over 6 months from the start of my application to my ceremony. Though it could have been even longer- I barely snuck into the April ceremony, and only avoided waiting another month until May because I happened to go to the Consulate here (in early april) to ask them if they'd received anything (which they don't really want you to do). At that point I still hadn't heard a single thing since my Feb 17th acceptance letter. They initially said 'no', then double checked, and sure enough my certificate was there, and they snuck me in to April's. This kind of thing seems par for the course. Indeed, it's worth mentioning that I sent plenty of emails over the course of the 6 1/2 months trying to prompt things. I'm pretty sure my prompting got the biometrics letter up and running, and I had to do another round of emails when the 6 weeks lapsed after getting my acceptance letter (you're supposed to wait 6 weeks for a ceremony invite). Not to mention going to the consulate...

And of course, you'll notice that I'm still missing 1/3rd of my documents. So I'm not entirely out of the process, and will have to keep up that inquiry.

So... a pretty average experience all around.

The passport experience itself was quite simple (as others have mentioned), and as you can see, very quick. It took about a week. I didn't have a British counter-signer for it. I could only find an EU counter-signer who fit their list of occupations. But they explicitly favour an EU counter-signer (over american or commonwealth) if no British one can be found.

I never had anyone representing me through either process.

So that's about it. Hope that's helpful. Good luck to everyone, especially the three americanos I already mentioned who have been waiting and waiting and waiting.

Pip pip. Cheerio.
-Canabrit

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon May 09, 2016 10:30 am

[quote="canabrit"]Well everyone,

I'm pretty much signing off. I got my passport yesterday, so I'm all wrapped up (or, nearly- but I'll get to that in a minute).

Here are my details...
oct 12- payment taken.
dec 1st(?)- biometrics invitation letter received (dated 27th Nov), along with 1/3rd of my documents.
feb 17th- acceptance letter received (dated Feb 2nd) another 1/3rd of documents returned.

So, a couple notes to mention. My timeline seems about average. There are people who shot through much quicker, and those like Antsmall, bfrenchfry, NJprof, etc. who took much longer (though I believe they're all USA based, which had an extra complication with biometrics). It was over 6 months from the start of my application to my ceremony. Though it could have been even longer- I barely snuck into the April ceremony, and only avoided waiting another month until May because I happened to go to the Consulate here (in early april) to ask them if they'd received anything (which they don't really want you to do). At that point I still hadn't heard a single thing since my Feb 17th acceptance letter. They initially said 'no', then double checked, and sure enough my certificate was there, and they snuck me in to April's. This kind of thing seems par for the course. Indeed, it's worth mentioning that I sent plenty of emails over the course of the 6 1/2 months trying to prompt things. I'm pretty sure my prompting got the biometrics letter up and running, and I had to do another round of emails when the 6 weeks lapsed after getting my acceptance letter (you're supposed to wait 6 weeks for a ceremony invite). Not to mention going to the consulate...

And of course, you'll notice that I'm still missing 1/3rd of my documents. So I'm not entirely out of the process, and will have to keep up that inquiry.

The passport experience itself was quite simple (as others have mentioned), and as you can see, very quick. It took about a week. I didn't have a British counter-signer for it. I could only find an EU counter-signer who fit their list of occupations. But they explicitly favour an EU counter-signer (over american or commonwealth) if no British one can be found.

So that's about it. Hope that's helpful. Good luck to everyone, especially the three americanos I already mentioned who have been waiting and waiting and waiting.

Pip pip. Cheerio.
-Canabrit[/quote

congrats Canabrit,
i still dont have my passport yet its almost 3 months now after scaling through the address evidence stuff , the last i heard was they are trying to verify my registration certificate and until they do passport cant be printed.so, you are pretty fast and lucky with the passport stuff.
of luck

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon May 09, 2016 1:18 pm

canabrit wrote:Well everyone,

Here are my details...
oct 12- payment taken.

Pip pip. Cheerio.
-Canabrit

congrats Canabrit,
i still dont have my passport yet its almost 3 months now after scaling through the address evidence stuff , the last i heard was they are trying to verify my registration certificate and until they do passport cant be printed.so, you are pretty fast and lucky with the passport stuff.
best of luck

PinoyHarry
Newly Registered

Post by PinoyHarry » Mon May 09, 2016 7:05 pm

keji wrote:

Here are my details...
oct 12- payment taken.

Pip pip. Cheerio.
-Canabrit

congrats Canabrit,
best of luck
Hey keji may I ask where you from? It seems that the passport application timeframe process depend on the country you're applying from. Canadians and Americans applicants got their passport for just a week or two, I'm from the Philippines, application takes at least 16 weeks as per her majesty when I emailed them. They confirmed that they got my application and an interview might be scheduled to verify the documents and applicant are legit. I'm on my 5th week since they received my application and until now no update. Hoping to hear from them soon.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Wed May 11, 2016 7:42 pm

I have a question for those who had to send their citizenship registration certificates in order to receive passports. Did you have your registration certificate eventually returned to you once the passport application was complete? Thanks for the information!

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Wed May 11, 2016 11:26 pm

I am getting ready to send in the UKM form and was wondering how you send a return envelope with postage for a return of the documents. I am in the USA.

I went to the Royal mail website and see that they have a way to print a mail label to an Avery sheet. I was wondering if anyone has done it this way.

Thanks a lot.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Thu May 12, 2016 8:44 am

PinoyHarry wrote:
keji wrote:

Here are my details...
oct 12- payment taken.

Pip pip. Cheerio.
-Canabrit

congrats Canabrit,
best of luck
Hey keji may I ask where you from? It seems that the passport application timeframe process depend on the country you're applying from. Canadians and Americans applicants got their passport for just a week or two, I'm from the Philippines, application takes at least 16 weeks as per her majesty when I emailed them. They confirmed that they got my application and an interview might be scheduled to verify the documents and applicant are legit. I'm on my 5th week since they received my application and until now no update. Hoping to hear from them soon.

Nigeria, at least 14 weeks. received a letter yesterday stating that they are satisfy with my documents and verification now but they still need their overseas team to verify other things and they cant say for how long. :?

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Thu May 12, 2016 9:46 am

Antsmall wrote:I have a question for those who had to send their citizenship registration certificates in order to receive passports. Did you have your registration certificate eventually returned to you once the passport application was complete? Thanks for the information!

sure, they will return it because its yours and its the evidence of how you got your citizenship. i still have my father"s certificate used in backing up my ukf form then and it was issued since the 70's

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Thu May 12, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks. I hope so! Having to send all these precious original documents is rather trying on the nerves.
keji wrote:
Antsmall wrote:I have a question for those who had to send their citizenship registration certificates in order to receive passports. Did you have your registration certificate eventually returned to you once the passport application was complete? Thanks for the information!

sure, they will return it because its yours and its the evidence of how you got your citizenship. i still have my father"s certificate used in backing up my ukf form then and it was issued since the 70's

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 pm

a_powers wrote:I am getting ready to send in the UKM form and was wondering how you send a return envelope with postage for a return of the documents. I am in the USA.

I went to the Royal mail website and see that they have a way to print a mail label to an Avery sheet. I was wondering if anyone has done it this way.

Thanks a lot.
I just noticed that the printed mail label must be used within 24 hours, so that option will not work.
Any suggestions on the return envelope would be greatly appreciated.

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Fri May 13, 2016 2:27 pm

a_powers: I don't have much to offer by way of an answer but I would say that I don't believe a return envelope is necessary and anything about it being helpful is anecdotal. From what I have read, applicants tendering a return envelope did so by having someone in country generate a royal mail return envelope and mailing it to them.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Fri May 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Yes, I got a friend in Britain to send me the famous "Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed" envelope, having first weighed all the documents that I expected would go into it so that my friend could pay for the correct postage. I can't remember the details now but I did look on the Royal Mail website hoping (similarly to yourself) that I could simply create a label, but somehow - and this is where the details escape me now because I ended up archiving the matter as "insoluble for boring bureaucratic reasons" - I concluded that annoyingly it wasn't possible to do that from abroad. (Sorry about the vagueness). The envelope was bulky and had cardboard on one side and had to be sent in an even larger container to me (resulting in more expense for me in reimbursing my friend) and after all the trouble, when they finally sent me back my documents the envelope had split and my passport and my father's passport had fallen out en route. I eventually recovered my passport through a tremendous amount of sleuthing with the help of USPS (American postal services) employees, but my father's precious old blue passport, which has considerable sentimental value as it contained many stamps from our travels together when I was a child, was never found. So if anything, I suggest that if you do choose this route, you make absolutely sure that the envelope that you receive (from someone in Britain, presumably) is made of a more durable substance than cardboard. Also make sure that your friend insists on a physical receipt for the envelope and sends you that as well; my friend wasn't given any such thing and this caused immense trouble when I then had to contact the irritating Royal Mail customer disservice people to launch an enquiry. So, recapitulating: you probably have to get it from Britain unless I've missed something (which is possible); make sure you get a very clear paper receipt; make sure the envelope is made of something which won't split en route (e.g. plastic, which I've sometimes received from Britain). Good luck!

Demmie
Newly Registered

Post by Demmie » Mon May 16, 2016 5:30 am

Nigeria, at least 14 weeks. received a letter yesterday stating that they are satisfy with my documents and verification now but they still need their overseas team to verify other things and they cant say for how long. :?

Hello Keji, I have been following this thread for quite a while. I am in the process of putting in my application and seeing that you did yours from Nigeria, would be happy if we can share info as per how it works from Nigeria. Kindly send me an email on xxxxxxxxxxx . I will be more than glad to get an email from you and I pray your passport comes in anytime soon.
Last edited by noajthan on Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed personal contact details

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon May 16, 2016 8:16 am

Demmie wrote:Hello Keji, I have been following this thread for quite a while. I am in the process of putting in my application and seeing that you did yours from Nigeria, would be happy if we can share info as per how it works from Nigeria. Kindly send me an email on xxxxxxxxxxx . I will be more than glad to get an email from you and I pray your passport comes in anytime soon.
Personal contact details removed to protect from spammers and scammers.

This is a public internet forum - post in public and all may benefit.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Mon May 16, 2016 8:54 am

Demmie wrote:

Hello Keji, I have been following this thread for quite a while. I am in the process of putting in my application and seeing that you did yours from Nigeria, would be happy if we can share info as per how it works from Nigeria. Kindly send me an email on xxxxxxxxxxx . I will be more than glad to get an email from you and I pray your passport comes in anytime soon.

hi Demmie, you can ask me any question here as others in our shoes around our region may benefit from it, i got all the help i used right on this forum but as rightly pointed out, email address is a private info and ist allowed openly. you can said me a private mail still in this forum if you will prefer that. all is for our security.
thanks