ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Standard Visitor visa for Parents-in-laws

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

positiveme

Standard Visitor visa for Parents-in-laws

Post by positiveme » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi,

First of all, thank you so much for having such an amazing forum. It does help people like us to get guidance for our situations and also to provide info and help where can, to others like us who need it, just when they need it.

I also need experts advise in my situation. I am living in UK on Tier2 with my wife who is now pregnant. We want to invite our parents-in-laws to join us in July this year for few months so that they can spend some time with us and the baby.

After reading several forum queries, their responses and gov.uk website, I have got some understanding of what I need to do and requirements are but would like to get it confirmed by the experts and also from ppl who have got experience of similar situation.

I know there are lot of questions I am asking but as this is my first application to bring any of our parents here since we have come to UK, any help or advise will be much appreciated?

What I need to provide:
1. Sponsorship letter & SU07 Form (Sponsorship Form) - explaining that I am sponsoring their trip, stay in UK, all expenses while in UK, bank statements (I have £2000 in one account from past few months)
2. MAT B1 Form (Maternity Certificate) - From midwife to prove that my wife is pregnant.
3. Copies of passport and BM Cards (Only mine or both my wife and I?)
4. Bank statement - Mine showing financial status - How much money would be sufficient to show for 4-5 months stay for them?
5. Employment Letter - I have joining letter. Should I take a fresh one from them showing I still work there?
6. Pay Slips - past six months
7. P60 - Should I include this?
8. Tenancy agreement - Should I take a letter from landlord saying they are ok for my in laws to stay with us?
9. Do I need to show my wife's birth certificate to show she is their daughter?
10. Do I need to show our marriage certificate to show that I am related to her and them?
11. Do I need any letter from a hospital or GP to show? in addition to MATB1?
12. Any other document I missed which I should show?

What my Parents-in-laws to show:
1. Indian IDs - I guess passports should be enough or they need anything else?
2. Photos
3. From other posts, I guess they need to show evidences that they can afford this trip financially, even after my sponsorship. Is this right? If yes, how much money they need to show?
4. My Father in law is now retired but can show pension documents and Tax Returns.
5. He also owns the house so documents can be submitted.
6. My Mother in law is housemaker so nothing to show.
7. Do they need to take any medical insurance before applying? Is it necessary?
8. My wife is the only daughter. She is living here and they have never visited us. They are coming to see our first child. Do they need to show any social ties to prove that they will go back? They have brothers and sisters in India in different cities.
9. Do they need to take Travel Insurance?
10. Does my mother in law need to show any financial proof or my father in law can cover it?
11. Do they need to show their own marriage certificate?

Any help, advise or suggestions will be really helpful to us.

Many Thanks

positiveme

Re: Standard Visitor visa for Parents-in-laws

Post by positiveme » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi Guys,

Could any expert or experienced person please advise me on this?

Many Thanks

chinu_cs
Newly Registered

Post by chinu_cs » Sat May 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi positiveme

Though I am not an expert on immigration rules but I will put my understanding here after doing some of my own research from past 1 month because I am sponsoring my parent's visa and have just started paper work.
I will try to answer your questions step by step

Thanks

What I need to provide:
1. Sponsorship letter & SU07 Form (Sponsorship Form) - explaining that I am sponsoring their trip, stay in UK, all expenses while in UK, bank statements (I have £2000 in one account from past few months) - OK
2. MAT B1 Form (Maternity Certificate) - From midwife to prove that my wife is pregnant. OK
3. Copies of passport and BM Cards (Only mine or both my wife and I?) Think should be both because you are the sponsor and your wife's parents are coming
4. Bank statement - Mine showing financial status - How much money would be sufficient to show for 4-5 months stay for them? Since their stay is covered at your home, the living expenses estimate is around £300 per person per month which means £600 x 5 months = £3000 you should aim to show
5. Employment Letter - I have joining letter. Should I take a fresh one from them showing I still work there? Yes fresh letter is always preferable as Immigration Officer's always suspect change in circumstances
7. P60 - Should I include this? Not required I guess
8. Tenancy agreement - Should I take a letter from landlord saying they are ok for my in laws to stay with us? Letter from Landlord not required I believe. No guideline says that. If your house is 2 bedroom you should be fine.
9. Do I need to show my wife's birth certificate to show she is their daughter? No Harm
10. Do I need to show our marriage certificate to show that I am related to her and them? Not required as they would have checked it already when you applied for your Tier 2.
11. Do I need any letter from a hospital or GP to show? in addition to MATB1? Not sure
12. Any other document I missed which I should show? Latest Council Tax or Electricity Bill perhaps

2. Photos
3. From other posts, I guess they need to show evidences that they can afford this trip financially, even after my sponsorship. Is this right? If yes, how much money they need to show? NO, they dont need to show their affordability of the trip because you are sponsoring them. But a bank statement is a mainly a good way to show some ties to India if they see regular credit of some sort (salary, pension, rent etc.) into your parent's account
4. My Father in law is now retired but can show pension documents and Tax Returns. Tax Returns is a good document to furnish to show income in India which shows their ties to India
5. He also owns the house so documents can be submitted. Yes Property document is very good for showing ties to India
6. My Mother in law is housemaker so nothing to show. That should be alright. Just see if she has got any FD for example which can be shown or name on the property.
7. Do they need to take any medical insurance before applying? Is it necessary? Yes medical insurance is necessary as they can't use NHS. But medical insurance is not required during visa application.
8. My wife is the only daughter. She is living here and they have never visited us. They are coming to see our first child. Do they need to show any social ties to prove that they will go back? They have brothers and sisters in India in different cities. Properties, Saving/Pension/FDs all these are good ways of showing ties. Rest can be explained in your sponsorship letters
9. Do they need to take Travel Insurance? before travel
10. Does my mother in law need to show any financial proof or my father in law can cover it? Not necessary but any bank account or FD can be shown.
11. Do they need to show their own marriage certificate? Don't think so. Your wife's birth certificate should prove that

positiveme

Post by positiveme » Thu May 19, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi Chinu_cs,

Thank you for your response and I appreciate your kind help.

Could you please post or pm me your updates on the application you are doing right now? It will certainly help me in doing mine.

I am planning to apply in late July or early Aug as they want to come here in early Sept.

Many thanks,

chinu_cs wrote:Hi positiveme

Though I am not an expert on immigration rules but I will put my understanding here after doing some of my own research from past 1 month because I am sponsoring my parent's visa and have just started paper work.
I will try to answer your questions step by step

Thanks

What I need to provide:
1. Sponsorship letter & SU07 Form (Sponsorship Form) - explaining that I am sponsoring their trip, stay in UK, all expenses while in UK, bank statements (I have £2000 in one account from past few months) - OK
2. MAT B1 Form (Maternity Certificate) - From midwife to prove that my wife is pregnant. OK
3. Copies of passport and BM Cards (Only mine or both my wife and I?) Think should be both because you are the sponsor and your wife's parents are coming
4. Bank statement - Mine showing financial status - How much money would be sufficient to show for 4-5 months stay for them? Since their stay is covered at your home, the living expenses estimate is around £300 per person per month which means £600 x 5 months = £3000 you should aim to show
5. Employment Letter - I have joining letter. Should I take a fresh one from them showing I still work there? Yes fresh letter is always preferable as Immigration Officer's always suspect change in circumstances
7. P60 - Should I include this? Not required I guess
8. Tenancy agreement - Should I take a letter from landlord saying they are ok for my in laws to stay with us? Letter from Landlord not required I believe. No guideline says that. If your house is 2 bedroom you should be fine.
9. Do I need to show my wife's birth certificate to show she is their daughter? No Harm
10. Do I need to show our marriage certificate to show that I am related to her and them? Not required as they would have checked it already when you applied for your Tier 2.
11. Do I need any letter from a hospital or GP to show? in addition to MATB1? Not sure
12. Any other document I missed which I should show? Latest Council Tax or Electricity Bill perhaps

2. Photos
3. From other posts, I guess they need to show evidences that they can afford this trip financially, even after my sponsorship. Is this right? If yes, how much money they need to show? NO, they dont need to show their affordability of the trip because you are sponsoring them. But a bank statement is a mainly a good way to show some ties to India if they see regular credit of some sort (salary, pension, rent etc.) into your parent's account
4. My Father in law is now retired but can show pension documents and Tax Returns. Tax Returns is a good document to furnish to show income in India which shows their ties to India
5. He also owns the house so documents can be submitted. Yes Property document is very good for showing ties to India
6. My Mother in law is housemaker so nothing to show. That should be alright. Just see if she has got any FD for example which can be shown or name on the property.
7. Do they need to take any medical insurance before applying? Is it necessary? Yes medical insurance is necessary as they can't use NHS. But medical insurance is not required during visa application.
8. My wife is the only daughter. She is living here and they have never visited us. They are coming to see our first child. Do they need to show any social ties to prove that they will go back? They have brothers and sisters in India in different cities. Properties, Saving/Pension/FDs all these are good ways of showing ties. Rest can be explained in your sponsorship letters
9. Do they need to take Travel Insurance? before travel
10. Does my mother in law need to show any financial proof or my father in law can cover it? Not necessary but any bank account or FD can be shown.
11. Do they need to show their own marriage certificate? Don't think so. Your wife's birth certificate should prove that

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:24 pm

The applicants ( your in laws) need to be able to demonstrate that they will be leaving the UK after the visit. Hence the burden is upon them.

In my case (exactly similar to yours a few years back before ILR), I supplied a few months of pay slips, a bank statement, utility bill, passport and visa copy and MAT B1. My in laws both retired, provided their bank statement, property documents and pension statement. We mentioned the visit would be for a few weeks, after birth.

And don't even bring up the 'helping with childcare' line. Simply say visit to see the newborn child.

Good luck.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

positiveme

Post by positiveme » Mon May 23, 2016 8:27 am

Thank you so much wpilr_nov12. This is helpful.

I will do so as suggested.
wpilr_nov12 wrote:The applicants ( your in laws) need to be able to demonstrate that they will be leaving the UK after the visit. Hence the burden is upon them.

In my case (exactly similar to yours a few years back before ILR), I supplied a few months of pay slips, a bank statement, utility bill, passport and visa copy and MAT B1. My in laws both retired, provided their bank statement, property documents and pension statement. We mentioned the visit would be for a few weeks, after birth.

And don't even bring up the 'helping with childcare' line. Simply say visit to see the newborn child.

Good luck.