ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change procedure after getting First British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nikpar
Newly Registered

Name change procedure after getting First British Passport

Post by nikpar » Sun May 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I have become a British Citizen a few weeks ago and I have applied for British Passport and going to receive it with in few days. Now I would like to change my surname in my British Passport since I haven't changed it after marriage to avoid any hassle during all the visa process. I would like to know is marriage certificate enough or do I need to have a deed poll. Also do I have to change name in Naturalization certificate if yes how? If someone has done so or could help me would be great.

Thanks,
Niketa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Name change procedure after getting First British Passpo

Post by CR001 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Deed poll.

No, you DO NOT have to change your naturalisation certificate. Only the passport needs to be changed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 29, 2016 4:21 pm

My understanding is that in the UK a marriage certificate is all that's required when changing to the husband's surname.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/AWomansRight ... riage.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Casa wrote:My understanding is that in the UK a marriage certificate is all that's required when changing to the husband's surname.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/AWomansRight ... riage.html
Even if the marriage cert pre-dates BC application and all other HO applications were in maiden name?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 29, 2016 7:44 pm

I've always believed that the name can be changed at any time after the marriage and a new passport issued...but I'm open to correction Char.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

nikpar
Newly Registered

Post by nikpar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:03 pm

I got my British Passport today so will be applying for Name change soon.. Just one more question Is Indian Marriage Certificate valid in UK?

nikpar
Newly Registered

Post by nikpar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:04 pm

I have applied for the name change with the Marriage Certificate but now they are asking for additional documents. I need to send documents with my new name. Some of the Valid Documents I can send are
1. Bank Statement
2. Utility bill
3. Employer letter
3. Statutory declaration

Now for name change in any of these documents I will need a marriage certificate which is with HMPO.
Can someone please guide me on how to get a statutory declaration for name change and also how can I change name without a original copy of MC.
Any advise greatly appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:33 pm

Did you do a deed poll and then immediately apply for a new passport?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nikpar
Newly Registered

Post by nikpar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Did you do a deed poll and then immediately apply for a new passport?
No I dint do a deed poll. Actually whenever I called the HMPO office for the documents list I was always told that marriage certificate would be enough for name change. But I guess thats not true in my case.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Yes, that would be the case if your marriage cert was issued after your BC passport. Do a deed poll and then apply for a new passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)