ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New EU deal: Free-movement rights gone?

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

secret.simon

Re: New EU deal: Free-movement rights gone?

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:11 pm

thommot wrote:The sun did actually set.
Yes, the sun did set, around the time that people's "rights" started trumping their duties. The duties were corporatised, so that abstract corporations, be they private or public, had duties to people, whereas people only had rights, not duties.
thommot wrote:Only the Tories have not realised it yet, and are acting like bitches to the EU.
Oh, just you wait a few more years and most governments in the EU will be acting like bitches to the EU. The Polish government is already at odds with the EU and there is a chance that the whole Visegard group will be moving in that direction. Even if we vote to Remain, there is no reason why the government be sweet to an organisation that nearly half the voters would vote against.

The President of the European Council, Donald Tusk, recognised that. “It is us who today are responsible,” he said, speaking at a conclave of Christian-Democrat and centre-right leaders in Luxembourg. “Obsessed with the idea of instant and total integration, we failed to notice that ordinary people, the citizens of Europe, do not share our Euro-enthusiasm.”

Funnily enough, a Brexit will almost certainly also mean that the EU is unlikely to have any treaty changes of its own for the foreseeable future, because even a founding member such as the Netherlands is likely to lose a referendum on further treaty change.

On a lighter note, Canada's Supreme Court has ruled that most bestiality is legal. I wonder what the world's bitches feel about that.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

thommot
Newly Registered

Post by thommot » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Even if we vote to Remain, there is no reason why the government be sweet to an organisation that nearly half the voters would vote against.
Oh, the Tories are already planning another round of bitching to destroy the remains of free movement left from the previous round. I say the EU should kick the UK out, as it's the most destructive, non-constructive, and divisive of all the members.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tays-in-eu

Anyway, I'm tuning out of this discussion, as it's getting off-topic for this thread.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:48 am

thommot wrote:I'm definitely not going to pay those fees, if they start applying them to my wife. We had a huge fight to get the EEA Family Permit, and will not be able to apply for the EU-style residency card until the autumn as it's difficult to arrange for half a hear without travel.
Regardless of your immigration status, your wife wouldn't be eligible under UK Immigration Rules. The couple have to intend to live together permanently in the UK, and you're already planing to leave the UK.

thommot
Newly Registered

Post by thommot » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:10 am

Richard W wrote:
thommot wrote:I'm definitely not going to pay those fees, if they start applying them to my wife. We had a huge fight to get the EEA Family Permit, and will not be able to apply for the EU-style residency card until the autumn as it's difficult to arrange for half a hear without travel.
Regardless of your immigration status, your wife wouldn't be eligible under UK Immigration Rules. The couple have to intend to live together permanently in the UK, and you're already planing to leave the UK.
Not right now. We are only eligible under the EU rules, as I'm not a settled person. But the rules are going to change if the UK votes to remain.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:03 pm

thommot wrote:
Richard W wrote:
Not right now. We are only eligible under the EU rules, as I'm not a settled person. But the rules are going to change if the UK votes to remain.
Even if you were a settled person (which is what I meant by 'regardless of your immigration status'), she wouldn't be eligible.

While I believe the restriction to settled persons should be relaxed, do you have any evidence that a change to the rules is planned? I think it is quite likely that such a relaxation will have to be forced on the government through the courts. The UK immigration system does not allow for a native to intentionally bring his foreign family members to the UK for just a few years.

thommot
Newly Registered

Post by thommot » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Richard W wrote: While I believe the restriction to settled persons should be relaxed, do you have any evidence that a change to the rules is planned? I think it is quite likely that such a relaxation will have to be forced on the government through the courts. The UK immigration system does not allow for a native to intentionally bring his foreign family members to the UK for just a few years.
I don't know if anyone knows what the new rules will be, but EU citizens bringing their non-EU spouses into the country will have to be put under some rules, since free movement is being butchered. Treating them as UK citizens seems the most logical option to me.

kkash786
Newly Registered

Post by kkash786 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:57 am

Obie wrote:Well I don't think they are meaningless. Mr Cameron has most of what he wanted. He got his deal and I am happy for him.

I only have difficulty accepting that some of these proposed changes to secondary legislation will have effect on primary legislation like the treaty or the decision of the CJEU .

The CJEU has special status in the Treaty and it decision has special status in the European communities Act 1972 .

I wonder how in law this proposal can have the effect of overturning Metock, Jia.

So strange. I aspire to study it more . But so far I will not say I am overly worried.

I make no secret of my view on immigration.

I am a global minded person, who strongly believe that there we must be in a borderless world were people can move freely and join their families and live their lives happily.

I am not a dearly beloved, and I believe all human are equal.

I am of the view that most of this talk of immigration is centred around race and culture .

If a million aussie or Canadian or Kiwi were migrating to UK , we possibly will not be having this debate.
Hi obie, i am silent reader of all ur posts for many years. I hv 2 questions for you. First one is: what will happen to non eu who already hv rc card in uk (after brexit) sencond one is: i am lithuanian national working in uk since 2009 and i never had WRS. i am always working but last nov i went on holidays back home for 3 weeks but i spent 4 months there as i had to fix my teeth, my company where i was workng they removed me from job. I came back 5 march and went to job centre, they started to pay me for one mnth as i joined same previouse company once again.. i m in process to apply for my PR status. Can u tell me what 5 periods i should choose so i get PR ...many thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 am

@kkash786,
This area of the forums is for debate and discussion about the theory and ideas behind the Brexit referendum.

As yours is a very specific case, I suggest that you repost it in the EEA-Route Applications forum.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

nemerkh

Post by nemerkh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 am

I agree with you boss and i have done.