ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport return requests: correct way and chance of success

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

thommot
Newly Registered

Passport return requests: correct way and chance of success

Post by thommot » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:46 pm

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information, on these forums and elsewhere on the internet, whether it is even possible, and how, to get the passport returned for EEA2 applications. I would be grateful for an up-to-date clarification on the following points.
After two attempts and the typical "marriage of convenience" diatribe, we finally have the EEA1 Family Permit for my wife. She travels a lot for work, for various international contractors, so it is difficult to find 6 months without travel, for the sub-standard processing times of the EEA2 residency card. She has been trying to keep the autumn clear from work travel, so we should be able to submit the application in September—if it is still available (see https://fullfact.org/europe/explaining- ... ce-rights/). However, we definitely do not want to stay on this sad island for Christmas, so need the passport back for the holidays. So we have basically 2.5 months from submission to get it back. Do you think this is possible?

alex1128
Member of Standing
Mood:
Morocco

Re: Passport return requests: correct way and chance of succ

Post by alex1128 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Will the Home Office return the passport of the non-EU citizen, or only the EU citizen?
The HO can return the EU passport with no issues.
The HO will return the non-EEA passport only if it still has a valid visa on it which didn't expire yet.

What is the current correct / more successful method? Should one use the form at https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outrea ... ments.ofml, or the email LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk ?
Use the online form.

How likely is the passport return request to be successful? Does it need to be an emergency
The answer is above.
Application sent: 25.06
Biometrics : 10/07 (dated 07/07)
COA: 29/07
Received Questionnaire: 09/11
RC : Refused ( 23/01/2016)
Appeal Filed : 25/01/2016

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:15 pm

thommot wrote:There seems to be a lot of conflicting information, on these forums and elsewhere on the internet, whether it is even possible, and how, to get the passport returned for EEA2 applications. I would be grateful for an up-to-date clarification on the following points.

... so it is difficult to find 6 months without travel, for the sub-standard processing times of the EEA2 residency card.

However, we definitely do not want to stay on this sad island for Christmas, so need the passport back for the holidays. So we have basically 2.5 months from submission to get it back. Do you think this is possible?
Community law obliges Member States to grant family members a residence card as soon as possible and in any event no later than six months from the date of application. So 6 months processing time would be in line with the Directive and not sub-standard.

In any case many members have reported receiving their passport back within days of their request.
On occasion, as quickly as in four days.

The island is not sad, it is the Queen's birthday and I even saw a glint of sunshine the other day.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

thommot
Newly Registered

Post by thommot » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:18 pm

alex1128 wrote: The HO will return the non-EEA passport only if it still has a valid visa on it which didn't expire yet.
Thanks for your answers. Our FP will expire in early November, so if we don't get the COA by then, they will not return the passport? But if we do get the COA quickly, then they should return it? Or do the require the FP to have enough validity to return to the UK?
Last edited by thommot on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thommot
Newly Registered

Post by thommot » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Community law obliges Member States to grant family members a residence card as soon as possible and in any event no later than six months from the date of application. So 6 months processing time would be in line with the Directive and not sub-standard.
The directive as well is sub-standard, 6 months is a ridiculously long time to be in a passport limbo, and basically expected not to travel. It's as if they're expecting only low-grade immigration, people who mostly stay in one place, don't travel for work, and go at most once a year to the Canary islands to escape the British lack of summer.

Fortunately I recently got the European ID card so can just use submit that for applications keeping my passport. But wife is not as lucky and travels more than I do.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:09 pm

thommot wrote:The directive as well is sub-standard, 6 months is a ridiculously long time to be in a passport limbo, and basically expected not to travel. It's as if they're expecting only low-grade immigration, people who mostly stay in one place, don't travel for work, and go at most once a year to the Canary islands to escape the British lack of summer.

Fortunately I recently got the European ID card so can just use submit that for applications keeping my passport. But wife is not as lucky and travels more than I do.
That's really a question for M. Jonckers or whoever then.
However not sure how that would go down; non-EEA citizens can hardly take for granted EU privileges which they gain vicariously from their Union citizen sponsor.

I cannot comment on the demographics of citizens enjoying the freedom of free movement.

I do know it would be a lot more inconvenient and tiresome if one required a visa to travel anywhere and every time (as I do, as a mere Brit, frequently doing business in far-flung places outside the EU comfort zone).

And the UK permits return of passport so its no biggie really. Just get your ducks in a row and apply as early as possible.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

alex1128
Member of Standing
Mood:
Morocco

Post by alex1128 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:34 am

thommot wrote:
alex1128 wrote: The HO will return the non-EEA passport only if it still has a valid visa on it which didn't expire yet.
Thanks for your answers. Our FP will expire in early November, so if we don't get the COA by then, they will not return the passport? But if we do get the COA quickly, then they should return it? Or do the require the FP to have enough validity to return to the UK?
I am afraid if the FP is expired they will not retunr the Non-EEA passport as it does not have a valid visa on it !
Application sent: 25.06
Biometrics : 10/07 (dated 07/07)
COA: 29/07
Received Questionnaire: 09/11
RC : Refused ( 23/01/2016)
Appeal Filed : 25/01/2016