ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Completion of Contract

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vika09
Newly Registered

Completion of Contract

Post by vika09 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 am

Hi everyone,

I received a three year Tier 2 visa in November 2014 (valid until November 2017). This was for the purpose of my training contract which expires on 30 June 2016. As I am approaching the completion of my contract, I expect my employer to notify the Home Office that my contract is completed (or terminated) either on or soon after 30 June 2016.

I wanted to know whether there is any 'grace' period for me to continue to stay in the UK while I pack everything up and leave. For example, will I be able to stay until (let's say) 15 July 2016?

I would appreciate any guidance in relation to this.

Thank you.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Completion of Contract

Post by paradoxical » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 am

Your visa expiry date will be in line with the contract you had. Actually you should be able to see some extra days granted to you on top of your end of contract date (assuming you were not on Tier 2 when you started) and those are supposed to be grace period. Nevertheless, generally the Home Office ignores an overstay of upto 28 days for a number of visa application types, and you want to make sure that you don't overstay as that would seriously affect your ability to make any future successful application.

vika09
Newly Registered

Post by vika09 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:28 am

Thank you for the response.

My BRP expiry date does not match my contractual expiry date.

I apologise if I have mislead you. I have a biometric residence permit (which I understand is different from a visa) which is valid until November 2017 even though my contract expires 30 June 2016. When I applied to get my Tier 2 BRP, I provided the Home Office with a copy of this contract.

Does my position change as a result?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 am

Your BRP card is your visa.

If your work/training or whatever it is finishes on 30th June and your employer is not offering to sponsor you further, they will inform HO once you have finished on 30th June.

However long HO takes to send you a curtailment letter and date by which you must leave the UK is anyone's guess, but it can take a few weeks.

What category of Tier 2 do you hold (ICT or General)?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vika09
Newly Registered

Post by vika09 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 am

CR001 wrote:Your BRP card is your visa.

If your work/training or whatever it is finishes on 30th June and your employer is not offering to sponsor you further, they will inform HO once you have finished on 30th June.

However long HO takes to send you a curtailment letter and date by which you must leave the UK is anyone's guess, but it can take a few weeks.

What category of Tier 2 do you hold (ICT or General)?
Thank you for your response. I have a General Tier 2.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:29 am

You can choose to leave or find another Tier 2 General sponsor and remain in the UK.

Curtailment letters can take up to a couple of months to be issued and the curtailment period in the letter is 60 days.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vika09
Newly Registered

Post by vika09 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

CR001 wrote:You can choose to leave or find another Tier 2 General sponsor and remain in the UK.

Curtailment letters can take up to a couple of months to be issued and the curtailment period in the letter is 60 days.
Thank you so much for the clarification and information. This gives me a good idea as to how to plan the next few weeks.

Apologies if I am beating a dead horse hear, but naturally, I won't be paid any salary after 30 June 2016: so even if, let's say, the HO/Curtailment Team take 2 months to send a response to me, I don't have to prove any income or otherwise during this period?

Thank you.