ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport online

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for British Passport online

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:55 am

jxn wrote:
you will need to wait until your ceremony as you will not only need the certificate number but you will need to post the certificate to HMPO when you submit your application
Hi guys,

Can somebody please give an advice. I have my Naturalisation approval letter, but the Ceremony is in two weeks. Can I already apply for the British Passport, or do I need to wait until I will get my Citizenship Certificate? In the on-line form they ask for the Citizenship Certificate number, if I will leave it blank for now, will I be able to provide it later, once I have it?

Thank you,
Only a British citizen can apply for a passport. You are not British yet and will only be British after your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mkraja

Post by mkraja » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:57 pm

hi all, can someone advise what is the quickest way to apply first passport after naturalization, online or post office check and send? thanks

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:13 am

mkraja wrote:hi all, can someone advise what is the quickest way to apply first passport after naturalization, online or post office check and send? thanks
All the applications are done by post, if you apply "online" all that happens is you print out a form at the end and you still have to post it.

jignesh455

Post by jignesh455 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am

jimbo555 wrote:Hi guys,

Can somebody please give an advice. I have my Naturalisation approval letter, but the Ceremony is in two weeks. Can I already apply for the British Passport, or do I need to wait until I will get my Citizenship Certificate? In the on-line form they ask for the Citizenship Certificate number, if I will leave it blank for now, will I be able to provide it later, once I have it?

Thank you,
you need your naturalisation certi. Because it is your first adult british passport so you have to have while applying.
jignesh

abz

Post by abz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:22 am

swax17 wrote:What's the quickest way to apply fot your first passport?? Online, check and send or Postal??
i'd say Online, its pretty fast, make sure you give correct email address as they will send you confirmation and your username on that email.

After completion of your online application, they will ask you to download and print Declaration form which is mainly about putting details of your counter signatory, you would ONLY send your Declaration form (signed and filled), two photographs (one signed), Naturalization certificate and any current foreign passport via post (make sure you send signed royal mail)

with the username they provide and with your password you can download your Declaration form anytime again if u missed first time from HMPO website after login in, as well as, you can track the status of your application. i'd recommend that service. :lol:

ajpetri
Newly Registered

Post by ajpetri » Wed May 11, 2016 4:56 pm

i was hesitating as well whether to apply online or by check and send

decided to do online (thought it would take less time and avoid mistakes since it will already be in the database and there will be no need to scan/input manually)

well... i regret my decision
i submitted online application on april 27
send all documents (printed declaration, passport, naturalization certificate, photos) on may 3

on may 10 i receive a paper letter claiming i did not send them my photos (letter dated may 6)
1. it is a lie. my photos were attached by a paper clip to my passport
2. it took the letter to reach me - they did not email or text or call

i sent them my photos again yesterday. will see

i m very skeptical. i will consider myself lucky if they dont lose my foreign passport and naturalization certificate. i m not hoping to get my UK passport any time soon. the service as abhorrent.

so my advice is check and send. from "timeline" posts seems thats quite quick.

Rajan1972

Post by Rajan1972 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:35 pm

I have applied online as the number of mistakes I do filling a paper document is very high and Postoffice accepts paper applications only.
I have applied online ( For Self, Wife & 2 Children) on 2nd Jun 2016. Took a printout of the declaration form, got it signed by a British Passport holder and send it on 3rd Jun 2016 to Petersborough Office.The documents I sent:
1. Declaration Form filled and signed by British Passport holder
2. 2 Photos ( 1 attested at the back by a British Passport holder)
3. Active Passport
Go the letter for appointment on 11th Jun 2016 for Self & Wife.
I felt this was much easier than filling the paper forms. Those who are comfortable with writing instead of typing may opt for the alternative.

DKSin
Newly Registered

Post by DKSin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Post office check and send is OK. They actually spotted a few errors in my application.

The only issue I have is when submitted mine on a Thu, HM Passport only received it on Tue the week after.
I believe that the post office kept hold of my application until they get some more applications and sent them all at once. (Although on the website it says Special Delivery which is normally next day delivery)

So they might have a day of the week they normally post them. I found out the date of receipt when I phoned HM Passport. (They are the best! So friendly and helpful. Not like rude UKBA)

So online might be slightly quicker if you are confident with your application and pushed for time. If not Post office is not too bad. Check and send service is valid for 1 month so you can get them checked as many times you like within that time period.

MrsGreenside

Post by MrsGreenside » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Hello! I applied for my first passport on 19 January and received the letter inviting me to an interview on the 27th January. It may be silly but I have this daunting feeling that I forgot to sign the declaration form. If this really was the case would they still invite me for an interview or would they send the application straight back to me?

I am probably just going crazy but I am a bit nervous. Thank you for your advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:49 pm

MrsGreenside wrote:Hello! I applied for my first passport on 19 January and received the letter inviting me to an interview on the 27th January. It may be silly but I have this daunting feeling that I forgot to sign the declaration form. If this really was the case would they still invite me for an interview or would they send the application straight back to me?

I am probably just going crazy but I am a bit nervous. Thank you for your advice.
One would have thought without signature they wouldn't process the application .... What did the letter say? They gave you a precise date (in February?)? I was able to choose a date. During the interview I had to give my signature maybe they are just saving time? Maybe you are wrong and you did sign.

Just guessing - hopefully it's just the Identity interview.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.