ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Brexit Discussion

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lurli
BANNED

Post Brexit Discussion

Post by lurli » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:02 am

I admire the courage of the British public, completely defied the establishment. In retrospect, it is the right thing to do.

lurli
BANNED

Re: Post Brexit Discussion

Post by lurli » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 am

It was the right way to vote in my view, the people got their country back. The negotiations will be interesting, that I look forward too.

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 am

I agree with you. I was very disappointed to read on this forum yesterday that one of the moderators used the "r" word against the people wanting to vote for Brexit. This is surely not acceptable on a forum like this where everyone should be entitled to voice their opinion without expecting a moderator to use vitriol to describe people with a different opinion. I have always admired the tolerance, patience and kindness of the moderators on this website and the advice is invaluable to me while I was in the process of acquiring LTR. To those wonderful moderators who give up their time and knowledge, I thank you. I will certainly use the information when it comes time to apply for citizenship.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:09 am

blondesafari wrote:I will certainly use the information when it comes time to apply for citizenship.
The value of that citizenship has just been greatly diminished. Very unfortunate, but I guess we just have to fight through it all and carry on.

1kiril
BANNED

Post by 1kiril » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:12 am

I reckon the only reason you lot support Brexit because you envy Europeans who don't need to spend thousands of pounds on visas. :lol:

My personal opinion, everyone entitled to one.

lurli
BANNED

Post by lurli » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:17 am

I agree with the outflak re diminished point, but perhaps this is good for the Country, the people would come first and wealth could be evenly distributed.

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:46 am

1kiril wrote:I reckon the only reason you lot support Brexit because you envy Europeans who don't need to spend thousands of pounds on visas. :lol:

"you lot"?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:52 am

1kiril wrote:...you envy Europeans who don't need to spend thousands of pounds on visas. :lol:

They will soon.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 am

The prospect of marrying my beloved is the only thing keeping me going. I can't carry on without her, so either I have to find the strength to leave the UK somehow or the strength to end my misery. I wonder how many others have been driven over the edge by today's result.

plc22ans
Newly Registered

Post by plc22ans » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:07 am

Does anybody know the impact of today's Brexit result on EEA applications under review by the Home Office? Surely they can't return all applications? I suppose they will make a decision on the applications currently under review without considering the referendum result?

mr twelvetrees
Newly Registered

Post by mr twelvetrees » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:09 am

ouflak1 wrote:
blondesafari wrote:I will certainly use the information when it comes time to apply for citizenship.
The value of that citizenship has just been greatly diminished. Very unfortunate, but I guess we just have to fight through it all and carry on.
Exactly my dilemma... I was just about to go for citizenship, yet now I fear this is never going to be the country again which I got to love and wanted to live in for the rest of my life. Brexit will inevitably bring the political spectrum shifting even more to the right, which is not something I want to experience, or let my children grew up in.

Anyway, here's the dilemma which is actually relevant to this forum: how likely it is that naturalisation rules change for EU citizens? I thinking about waiting now before pouring my savings into this process, to see how things unfold and only apply for citizenship if the outcome of this brexit is not a total collapse. What do you think?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 am

From what I have gathered from news sources and blog posts, etc;

a) David Cameron will stand down as Conservative Party leader before the Party Conference in October.

b) The new Prime Minister will take the decision to invoke Article 50.

c) Till then, the status quo continues and the EEA Regulations and EU law remains in force. There is therefore no short-term change in the EEA Regulations/EU law until further notice. That will likely only happen after the Conservative Party leadership elections.

d) The current odds are that the two leading candidates will be Boris Johnson and Theresa May. Almost everybody at work wanted Theresa May, in spite of her immigration policy, on the grounds that she is a known quantity on policy, while BoJo is all over the place on policy.

My work colleagues, a diverse mixture of EEA migrants, non-EEA migrants and British people, are, as expected, quite dismayed by these results, which nobody expected.

The consensus is that as Article 50 is not being invoked immediately, that gives the UK time to negotiate with the EU. And now that the EU sees that the UK will actually leave, it will give much more substantial concessions on freedom of movement. That is the opinion of the EEA migrants, not me. That would be followed by a second referendum.
mr twelvetrees wrote:Brexit will inevitably bring the political spectrum shifting even more to the right, which is not something I want to experience, or let my children grew up in.
That is happening across the US and Europe, no matter which country you live in.
mr twelvetrees wrote:how likely it is that naturalisation rules change for EU citizens?
No change. Naturalisation law is the same for EEA citizens and non-EEA citizens. And it would take up a lot of parliamentary time to pass, which is unlikely in the short term.
plc22ans wrote:Does anybody know the impact of today's Brexit result on EEA applications under review by the Home Office?
I believe there will be no change as the EEA regulations continue in force.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:37 am

I don't think the EU will want to wait until October to get this process started. They have already said today that they want it done quickly.

The next few weeks will be critical as we will have to decide if we want to stay in the Single Market and accept the freedom of movement that comes with it, or leave. The only tiny bit of good news is that if we retain freedom of movement then Cameron's reforms to it have been discarded and the SS route will probably remain open.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:20 pm

ryuzaki wrote:I don't think the EU will want to wait until October to get this process started. They have already said today that they want it done quickly.
The process is initiated by the departing member-state, not by the EU.

They may want something, but does not mean they will get it. The UK public wanted limits to freedom of movement in the UK-EU deal, they did not get it.
ryuzaki wrote:The next few weeks will be critical as we will have to decide if we want to stay in the Single Market and accept the freedom of movement that comes with it, or leave.
I think the referendum was quite clear. The vote was essentially a vote against freedom of movement. If that means no Single Market, so be it.

I am sure that as an avowed democrat, you would respect that decision.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

giorgosa
Greece

Post by giorgosa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Sure, give them what they asked. Exclusion from the single market and exclusion from the free movement for a year. But after let's ask again and see what happens.

By the way, please send the bill for this to the 51.9%. They'll love it! :D

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:16 pm

giorgosa wrote:Sure, give them what they asked. Exclusion from the single market and exclusion from the free movement for a year. But after let's ask again and see what happens.

Or perhaps the 51.9% could share in the £35 million a day the UK have been contributing to the EU budget. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

giorgosa
Greece

Post by giorgosa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Casa wrote:
giorgosa wrote:Sure, give them what they asked. Exclusion from the single market and exclusion from the free movement for a year. But after let's ask again and see what happens.

Or perhaps the 51.9% could share in the £35 million a day the UK have been contributing to the EU budget. :wink:
yes, but there is not such money as today admitted by Farage.

Ironically, liars can celebrate today. But I wouldn't like to be in their position for the years to come...

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Casa wrote:Or perhaps the 51.9% could share in the £35 million a day the UK have been contributing to the EU budget.
£350 million a day, Casa.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:32 pm

The question is which country will be the next to have an EU referendum. My opinion is it will be Denmark and Sweden, as they are Eurosceptic and do not have the Euro.

But others suggest that the Netherlands could beat them to it.

giorgosa
Greece

Post by giorgosa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:33 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Casa wrote:Or perhaps the 51.9% could share in the £35 million a day the UK have been contributing to the EU budget.
it is £350m a week. available from Monday morning. GP is waiting me with a mojito..... :lol:

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:36 pm

secret.simon wrote:
My understanding is that the official figures are the rebated amount of £12.9 billion per year, £35 million per day.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

lurli
BANNED

Post by lurli » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Interesting times ahead, I am watching post-brexit in 3D

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 pm

IMHO this what will happen;

There was no real intention to leave the EU, the referendum was smoke and mirrors, we voted on yes/no, not 'how yes/no', so Westminster will decide how we leave, no referendum on that, and I'm willing to strip naked on Bolton Town Hall steps, paint my bottom blue and get spanked if this doesn't happen, UK will adopt 'EU lite' i.e. the Swiss or Norway model, same terms, same deal, just no say WRT EU policy just to satisfy the limited thinkers who voted out who are too stupid to realise we got a worse deal.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:43 pm

The EU must compel the UK to invoke Article 50 immediately.

You cannot have the likes of Borris and Gove having their cake and eating it.

If the want out, they must invoke article 50. The cannot continue to hold the EU to ransom.

Now that they voted, the smell the coffee, and dont want to invoke article 50.

British people are are to see that they have been conned. Farage has already told them there will be no 350 million for NHS.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

lurli
BANNED

Post by lurli » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 pm

@ Wanderer; I have disagreed with you on almost every grounds, and I continue to do. UK has done a Brexit, there won't be EU-lite agreement for many reasons. It will be undemocratic, against the expressed will of the people, don't forget any EU-lite agreement will include free movement rules.

Europe will certainly not be willing to bend over backwards for what is now an outsider, and for many other political reasons too, not just punitive measures. The only way the UK can gain from this, is to hope that brexit will muster Europe-wide referendum, without further disintegration of the EU, in my view, looking back on this vote, it seems crass and an act of self-harm