ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brexit and Retained Rights of Residence (ROR) non-EU

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pessoam
Newly Registered

Brexit and Retained Rights of Residence (ROR) non-EU

Post by pessoam » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:17 am

Hi all,

I know it's a bit too early to know for sure what will happen after the Brexit voting but I was wondering if anyone have any info on what happens to non-EU nationals after divorce? Will they be able to still retain rights of residence or is that in jeopardy?

PS: Sorry if that's not the right place to post this, please do move it accordingly.

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Brexit and Retained Rights of Residence (ROR) non-EU

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:05 am

At this point, no one will know.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Re: Brexit and Retained Rights of Residence (ROR) non-EU

Post by Richard W » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:21 am

pessoam wrote:Hi all,

I know it's a bit too early to know for sure what will happen after the Brexit voting but I was wondering if anyone have any info on what happens to non-EU nationals after divorce? Will they be able to still retain rights of residence or is that in jeopardy?

PS: Sorry if that's not the right place to post this, please do move it accordingly.

Many thanks!
AS CR001 says, no-one knows.

On the UK family re-unification route, the breakdown of the marriage (let-alone formalisation by divorce) brings the right to reside to an end. In honest practice, it prevents renewal of a visa. There are often unlawful and unenforceable agreements whereby the immigrating spouse gives up rights in return for the sponsor pretending that the marriage still subsists.

The one exception is that domestic violence may enable the victim to remain in the UK.

I therefore believe it is quite likely that the protection of spouses of EEA nationals against divorce will cease. What may save the day is that the EEA Regulations, if they survive, will become an inherently transitional arrangement, with no new 'temporary' residence under them, and therefore there will be no long term benefit from tinkering with the rules.