ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residence & Brexit: what happens?

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

leopett08
Newly Registered

Permanent Residence & Brexit: what happens?

Post by leopett08 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:27 pm

I just fot my PR last week. I am a brazilian married to a french wife. She got her PR confirmation vignette in a home office blue booklet.
Question is: once you get PR it can't be revoked because of these changes, right?
Hope so! What do you think? Expert's opinions are very much NEEDED. thanks!

secret.simon

Re: PERMENENT RESIDENCE & Brexit: what happens?

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 pm

leopett08 wrote:once you get PR it can't be revoked because of these changes, right?
PR is a status granted by EU law. No EU law, no PR.

But it is very likely that people on PR will be transitioned to ILR status or may be grandfathered in by subsequent UK legislation.

In any case, it seems Article 50 will not be triggered till October and EU law will continue to apply to the UK for 2 years after Article 50 is triggered. So, PR status is safe till October 2018. After that, nobody knows.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:46 pm

secret.simon wrote:In any case, it seems Article 50 will not be triggered till October and EU law will continue to apply to the UK for 2 years after Article 50 is triggered. So, PR status is safe till October 2018. After that, nobody knows.
The transition is as agreed. The 2-year rule only applies if there is no agreement.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:43 pm

I'd be careful with statements such as "it's very likely that...".

The only sure thing is that.... there's no sure thing.