ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2nd EU Referendum petition

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

2nd EU Referendum petition

Post by UKBALoveStory » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:30 pm

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

A parliamentary petition calling for a second referendum has attracted more than a million signatures.

Current signatures counter: 1,502,907

Any thoughts from the members of this forum... :)
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

Casa

Re: 2nd EU Referendum petition

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:54 pm

IMHO It's not got any mileage. What would happen...keep going with repeat referendums until one side eventually had the acceptable percentage gain :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:57 pm

The petition is likely to be debated in the House of Commons, but there is unlikely to be a second referendum.

To begin with, the losing side in most referendums invariably asks for a repeat. That was also the case for the Scottish referendum.

Also, a second referendum would likely require another Act of Parliament. That would take another year to get through. All this while the relationship with the EU is in a state of limbo.

Besides, does one want the whole referendum debate again?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Strikes me as seriously bizarre. The time to set rules about what turnout there should be, and what percentage of the vote is required, etc, is BEFORE the vote. Not afterwards!

It's nuts. You can't keep having re-runs of the vote until you get the answer you like.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:25 pm

There may be a scenario, where the UK can get a proposal following the negotiation, put that before the People and then decide whether they wish to adopt it or not.

UK national have blows their future.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Obie wrote:There may be a scenario, where the UK can get a proposal following the negotiation, put that before the People and then decide whether they wish to adopt it or not.
I had suggested way before the referendum that it is likely that in the event of a leave victory, that the UK and EU could renegotiate and that there could be a second referendum. That suggestion was dismissed as risible. I am sure that the same sentiment voiced by a moderator would be treated with more respect.
avjones wrote:The time to set rules about what turnout there should be, and what percentage of the vote is required, etc, is BEFORE the vote.
And guess what, the proposal of the specific petition (of having a turnout threshold and margins of victory) was discussed during the passage of the European Union Referendum Bill (which set out the rules for the referendum). The Commons Library published a Briefing Paper about the details of the bill-see Page 26 for information on setting thresholds. The Lords discussed this point as well. If the two Houses were aware of it and did not put it in, the only conclusion I can reach is that it was intentionally left out.

Professor of Government at the University of Hull, Professor Lord Norton, has posted on why rules matter. He also covers, in passing, the rules for electing new leaders in the Conservative and Labour parties.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Secretsimon i think you are misinterpreting what i said.

I am taking about new association membership hear. Then we were taking about was Boris the inciter had suggested, which is a second vote, after the first. I told you that was out of the table.

Boris suggested a second EU vote, to use the first as a gun on the EU head. That was never going to happen.

Even Boris, after his people of delusion, came to realise that it will not happen.

The UK is not coming to the EU again and that is final.

I am just hoping they will put a seal on that.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Why is this tripe a sticky thread?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:12 pm

Amber wrote:Why is this tripe a sticky thread?
I did not put it on sticky but I support whoever placed it on topic.

This section is designed for Eu referendum. Something as news worthy as that , has to be on sticky..

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 pm

This section appears a platform for you to judge people and cause trouble.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:51 pm

I haven't/can't make the thread as sticky. I have just created this thread to a) share the news b) get the views of the forum members. Not sure if it is against the rules of this forum :)
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:34 am

Sorry. I did that. It seems newsworthy and relevant, as leave voters were regretting their vote after having been mislead.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:41 am

vinny wrote:
Sorry. I did that. It seems newsworthy and relevant, as leave voters were regretting their vote after having been mislead.
It was a good call. I probably would have put it if i had first seen it. No need to apologise.

The level of buyers remorse reaching 3 million is mind blowing.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:24 am

How is this mind blowing when over 13 million are disappointed with the outcome?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:29 am

Vinny, no disrespect to you as I think you're a great moderator but when I get complaints about people being called dearly beloved for their democratic vote it really annoys me. It's out of order and Moderator(s) should not be getting involved in this kind of low level debate.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:36 am

Obie wrote: The level of buyers remorse reaching 3 million is mind blowing

Huh? How do you possibly conclude that the 3 million signatures are from people who voted leave?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:41 am

Amber wrote:How is this mind blowing when over 13 million are disappointed with the outcome?
At least 16,141,241!

Who knows how many of the 17,410,742 now regret this?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:30 am

I'm sorry but any Tom dick or Harry can sign that online petition. Many people who are not entitled to vote in a referendum. And how can you possibly say people who voted leave regret it? To rely on the mass media who have their own agenda is, well, not reliable.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:11 am

Yes. You may well be right. The media may be unreliable. It may be unfortunate, if the voters did indeed vote on unreliable information.

Only time will tell.

I'm unsticking this topic, subject to a vote by moderators. But will try to keep an eye on its requested parliamentary debate.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:17 am

The decision to put a topic on Sticky is the discretion of the individual moderator. I strongly believe this topic should be sticky and must not be removed, unless there are droves of moderators opposing this, it must in actual fact be a sticky .

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:28 am

My vote goes for a non-sticky.

Perhaps we should have a national referendum to vote for whether there should be another referendum. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:59 am

General election prior to invoking Article 50?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Sorry, no. I voted for the first time in 16 years (and my first time ever in the UK) because I realized how important this vote was for myself and for my children. And while my side lost, and I think this is a tragic error and terribly unfair especially to my kids, that's it. If all these people bemoaning the loss had actually gotten off their butts, gotten registered, and gotten to the polls, we wouldn't be in this mess. Lesson learned. Now we've just got to sort all of this out the best we can. It's my understanding that it is part of the British tradition to pull together even in the hardest of times. I'm kind of expecting to see some of that attitude rather soon.
vinny wrote:General election prior to invoking Article 50?
I can't see what good that will do and I could even see it making things worse if more Bremain types are somehow elected back in. No. The only ones who need to be running things now are the Brexiters. They wanted out. So get us out and put the UK, whatever is left of it, in a position to deal with the consequences as best as we can. They are atleast partially responsible for things getting to this point (The EU shares a lot of the blame as well IMO). That responsibility didn't just end with that referendum result. Time to step up.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:23 pm

I think that would be a very good idea.

We are not getting a second referendum. But what can happen is that a new Prime Minister (most likely either BoJo or Theresa May, who is emerging as the Anybody-But-Boris candidate) can have preliminary discussions with the EU about talks to have talks, get a broad understanding of the lay-of-the-land and then go to the country to get a mandate for either triggering or not triggering Article 50.

In a sense, that is our second referendum and I hope that people vote fully understanding the implications of the vote.

As an aside; I seriously hope that Theresa May is the PM. She would have the gravitas and force to conduct serious and forthright negotiations. I am not confident that Boris has either of those qualities. At the end of the day, I want a successful UK, not revenge for lies or whatever others want to hurl at Boris. It is like a marriage. I am looking to spend my life here and I want a successful life for the UK.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Unless UK called a snap poll, I don't think this will be a good thing for the Market or the European Union.

It will cause further uncertainties, and nations will enter recession.