ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2nd EU Referendum petition

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sami123
Newly Registered

Re: 2nd EU Referendum petition

Post by sami123 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:00 am

we dont regret it why are you spreading lies we voted to leave E.U and we are proud to be british and happy and not depending on the E.U dont bank second referendum it will not happen and hope BORIS JOHNSON our prime minister
thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:07 am

Only time will tell.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:56 am

It was reported on the news this morning that they are investigating this petition as apparently there has been a number of repeated votes by the same person.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:03 am

sami123 wrote:we dont regret it why are you spreading lies we voted to leave E.U and we are proud to be british and happy and not depending on the E.U dont bank second referendum it will not happen and hope BORIS JOHNSON our prime minister
thanks
And may the Lord have Mercy on our Souls....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am

It members are no longer discussing a 2nd EU Referendum petition, perhaps the thread should be closed to prevent off-topic ramblings. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:13 am

Amber wrote:It was reported on the news this morning that they are investigating this petition as apparently there has been a number of repeated votes by the same person.
Second EU referendum petition investigated for fraud.
Petition for second EU referendum may have been manipulated.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

vinny wrote:
Amber wrote:It was reported on the news this morning that they are investigating this petition as apparently there has been a number of repeated votes by the same person.
Second EU referendum petition investigated for fraud.
Petition for second EU referendum may have been manipulated.
Hmm. Now there's a surprise. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 am

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:38 am

People who are signing these petitions are not allowed to vote?

And if they are allowed to vote those are the people that were too lazy to vote. I personally know many people who were sure about the remain campaign winning with flying colours didn't bother voting & now they are moaning about the narrow margin with which the leave campaign succeeded. We have to accept the result whether we like it or not.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:56 pm

sami123 wrote:we dont regret it why are you spreading lies we voted to leave E.U and we are proud to be british and happy and not depending on the E.U dont bank second referendum it will not happen and hope BORIS JOHNSON our prime minister
thanks
Some posters here are not British citizens and not intending to be. I'm an Italian citizen. I'm proud of my Italian passport and I don't want a British one. I love Britain and I don't accept being victimized by anyone.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:48 pm

Second Referendum Early day motion put before Parliament.

Not sure how far this will go. We shall see.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:16 pm

It is only an Early Day Motion (EDM). It means nothing.

EDMs are signed by MPs to show the causes that they support. They are used for such important matters of state as congratulating local football clubs and schools.

But they do not have any impact on the ground and are, to the best of my knowledge, never debated.

The only way forward for Parliament to debate this would be on a Back Bench Business Committee motion "taking note" of the petition to have a second referendum.

Alternatively, Labour or the SNP could raise the matter on one of their Opposition Day debates (of which there are 20-Labour 17, SNP 3-in the whole year). The latter course would allow for a substantive motion (a motion asking the government to do something, rather than merely "take note").
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Since we are on the topic of parliamentary debates, here is a quick look at the coming week in Parliament.

On Tuesday, the Lords will have a day-long debate on the results of the EU referendum. Given how popular the topic is, the Lords are sitting early, at 11:30AM (normal timing 2:30 PM) and debating that for the rest of the day (till about 10:30PM, though it can go on later, depending on number of speakers).

Also see an earlier debate on Monday, 27th June.

Also on Tuesday, the Commons will have a short adjournment debate on "Effect of the EU Referendum on the incidence of race hate crime". Be aware that an adjournment debate is time-limited to 30 minutes and generally only two MPs attend, the proposing MP (Yasmin Qureshi) and the responding minister, though given the topicality of the debate I would expect more MPs to attend.
Expected Time to Start: 7:00 PM.

Wednesday is one of the Opposition Day debates that I had mentioned in my previous post and it is possible that Labour may, depending on who is in charge on that day, choose to debate the 2nd EU referendum petition on that day.

On Thursday, the Lords will have a Short Debate (generally about 90 minutes) on "Case for holding a second referendum on the UK’s membership of the EU" being led by Baroness King of Bow (Oona King). Given the day's scheduling, I expect it to start at about 2:30PM.

All info from the Parliament.uk Calendar.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:19 pm

Buyers remorse spread to Wales.

Now a majority wants to stay.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:03 pm

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum”.

Government responded:
The European Union Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015, receiving overwhelming support from Parliament. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

The EU Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015. The Act was scrutinised and debated in Parliament during its passage and agreed by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Act set out the terms under which the referendum would take place, including provisions for setting the date, franchise and the question that would appear on the ballot paper. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

As the Prime Minister made clear in his statement to the House of Commons on 27 June, the referendum was one of the biggest democratic exercises in British history with over 33 million people having their say. The Prime Minister and Government have been clear that this was a once in a generation vote and, as the Prime Minister has said, the decision must be respected. We must now prepare for the process to exit the EU and the Government is committed to ensuring the best possible outcome for the British people in the negotiations.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:28 am

Well they tossed that aside without even a second thought didn't they?. Wished they had atleast bothered to mention that the original referendum wasn't binding, or that any negotiation might still result in the UK remaining. These hard line approaches that everybody is taking is worrying. Is nobody interested in making a deal that is reasonable and that everybody can live with?

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 pm

All of those matters - turnout, threshold, whatever - needed to be argued about BEFORE the referendum. It's not great to start arguing about them afterwards.

The Act of Parliament passed by a country mile, the majority was huge.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:49 pm

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:07 am

avjones wrote:All of those matters - turnout, threshold, whatever - needed to be argued about BEFORE the referendum. It's not great to start arguing about them afterwards.

The Act of Parliament passed by a country mile, the majority was huge.
Is There a Mandate Here?

Why Is It Illegal for the Prime Minister to Perceive the EU Referendum’s Result as Morally-Politically Authoritative?

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 pm

This is all very unsatisfactory.

A Prime Minister with no mandate, trying to implement a "full Brexit" for which she has no mandate either. The referendum only covered EU membership, not the Single Market or freedom of movement.

To cap it all off, she seems to have rejected having a general election, seeming to confirm she intends to rule undemocratically. I hope some of the legal challenges are able to address this.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Debate planned in September for a Second Referendum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36777494

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:18 pm

ryuzaki wrote:This is all very unsatisfactory.

A Prime Minister with no mandate, trying to implement a "full Brexit" for which she has no mandate either. The referendum only covered EU membership, not the Single Market or freedom of movement.

To cap it all off, she seems to have rejected having a general election, seeming to confirm she intends to rule undemocratically. I hope some of the legal challenges are able to address this.
Britain never had a prime minister with a mandate. In case you have not worked out, we have a parliamentary democracy, and the person who commands a majority in the house of commons, becomes the prime minister.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Obie wrote:Debate planned in September for a Second Referendum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36777494
Losers can't accept the result of mandate. Why not just get rid of all democratic exercise and run the country by petitions.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:04 pm

It seems to me that permitting false statements by campaigners makes a mockery of democracy.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Its more like " I didn't win the lotto. I want a re draw".