ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK to leave EU - Surinder Singh consequences?

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Casa

Re: UK to leave EU - Surinder Singh consequences?

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:58 am

You may find this article by JCWI.org informative
https://www.jcwi.org.uk/blog/2016/02/22 ... es-foreign

and this background from Free Movement posted in 2014
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/outcome ... of-appeal/

MM are the initials of the appellant v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2014] EWCA Civ 985
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:48 pm

My husband currently has a 5 year EU family permit through the SS route, its valid till Dec 2019 but 5 years complete in Feb. Do you think he will be able to acquire PR through transitional arrangements?
If not, what would be the process after his current family permit?
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:My husband currently has a 5 year EU family permit through the SS route, its valid till Dec 2019 but 5 years complete in Feb. Do you think he will be able to acquire PR through transitional arrangements?
How does 5 years complete in Feb when he has not been in the UK on the EEA route for 5 years?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 pm

I meant in Feb 2019. We returned to the UK in Feb 2014 but received the permit in Dec 2014.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:My husband currently has a 5 year EU family permit through the SS route, its valid till Dec 2019 but 5 years complete in Feb. Do you think he will be able to acquire PR through transitional arrangements?
If we are still in the EEA (Norwegian or Liechtensteinian model) in February 2019, he will still get it by the current rules. If we leave the EEA, I don't know, for negotiated transitional arrangements will be designed to protect EEA citizens in the UK, and you and your husband won't be EEA citizens.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Sorry, I'm just a little confused. Would I not be considered an EEA citizen? The family permit says Residence card of a Family Member of an EEA National.

Thanks

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Jellybean105 wrote:Sorry, I'm just a little confused. Would I not be considered an EEA citizen? The family permit says Residence card of a Family Member of an EEA National.
I assumed you were British. If you're British and the UK leaves the EEA, you won't be an EEA citizen. Why should the EU negotiate to protects the rights of British citizens in the UK? Whether any transitional arrangements cover you will be quite random. As the Home Office have no love for users of the SS route and you are not explicitly covered in Directive 2004/38/EC ('SS rights apply by analogy'), you could very easily be overlooked or deliberately left out.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Richard W wrote:
Jellybean105 wrote:Sorry, I'm just a little confused. Would I not be considered an EEA citizen? The family permit says Residence card of a Family Member of an EEA National.
I assumed you were British. If you're British and the UK leaves the EEA, you won't be an EEA citizen. Why should the EU negotiate to protects the rights of British citizens in the UK? Whether any transitional arrangements cover you will be quite random. As the Home Office have no love for users of the SS route and you are not explicitly covered in Directive 2004/38/EC ('SS rights apply by analogy'), you could very easily be overlooked or deliberately left out.
The OP is indeed a British Citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:51 am

Thank you for the reply. So, where do we stand now? Do you think my husband would have to apply for a spouse visa and wait another 5 years before getting naturalised? In that case, will the 4.75 years of the EU family permit count towards the 5 years lawful residence?

We've been through so much and for it to come to down to this is just tragic. It seems as though when we have finally reached the end.. it moves further away. :(

gillacious_505

Post by gillacious_505 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Richard W wrote:
I would like to differ with above. If the transitional arrangements are meant for EU nationals in the UK, then the same should be applicable for the family members of British citizen who are deemed to be EU national(SS category). It just doesn't make sense. At the end of the day the family member of EU national and the family member of SS based british citizen would have the same passport stamp i.e EEA2. So as long as the rules for permanent residence card doesnt change for the former, the latter should be fine. In my opinion the threshold is to have atleast EEA 2 residence card before article 50 gets concluded. That should be considered safe enough.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:41 pm

gillacious_505 wrote:
Richard W wrote:
I would like to differ with above. If the transitional arrangements are meant for EU nationals in the UK, then the same should be applicable for the family members of British citizen who are deemed to be EU national(SS category). It just doesn't make sense. At the end of the day the family member of EU national and the family member of SS based british citizen would have the same passport stamp i.e EEA2. So as long as the rules for permanent residence card doesnt change for the former, the latter should be fine. In my opinion the threshold is to have atleast EEA 2 residence card before article 50 gets concluded. That should be considered safe enough.
I believe S.Sers should be fine as long as they hold EEA2.
But what about people on Family permits and ongoing EEA2 applications before and after Article 50 ?
Did u sell your soul for a mere stack?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:47 pm

After Article 50 is invoked, which unfortunately is unlikely to happen anytime soon, other provision of ECHR may come into play, which will enable you to stay.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:54 pm

Obie wrote:After Article 50 is invoked, which unfortunately is unlikely to happen anytime soon, other provision of ECHR may come into play, which will enable you to stay.
Could these be elaborated on? How does Article 50 interact with the ECHR?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:03 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Obie wrote:After Article 50 is invoked, which unfortunately is unlikely to happen anytime soon, other provision of ECHR may come into play, which will enable you to stay.
Could these be elaborated on? How does Article 50 interact with the ECHR?
The premise of your question or understanding or reading of my post is inconsistent with my post,which unfortunately did not suggest a link between Article 50, and ECHR, so it is not sensible to drag it that far.

My post is confined to the fact that if a person who currently benefit from EU law cease from benefiting from it, due to a contracting state opting out, then individuals who had resided in that state will have a case under Article 8 ECHR or the Vienna Convention.

That in my view, is different from a suggestion, that Article 50 and Article 8 are linked.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

gillacious_505

Post by gillacious_505 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 am

The main ambiguity is what is the current status of the freedom of movement 'during' Article 50 period. It will take 2 years minimum to withdraw from the EU. So does that means during this period of 2 years the status quo of free movement remains? If so, then I guess Surinder SIngh can still be exercised in these 2 years.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:54 am

gillacious_505 wrote:The main ambiguity is what is the current status of the freedom of movement 'during' Article 50 period. It will take 2 years minimum to withdraw from the EU. So does that means during this period of 2 years the status quo of free movement remains? If so, then I guess Surinder SIngh can still be exercised in these 2 years.
Yes, after invoking Article 50, then during the 2 years free movement should be unaffected.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jellybean105
Member of Standing

Post by Jellybean105 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 am

CR001 wrote:
gillacious_505 wrote:The main ambiguity is what is the current status of the freedom of movement 'during' Article 50 period. It will take 2 years minimum to withdraw from the EU. So does that means during this period of 2 years the status quo of free movement remains? If so, then I guess Surinder SIngh can still be exercised in these 2 years.
Yes, after invoking Article 50, then during the 2 years free movement should be unaffected.
Hopefully, that will be the case. But then what will happen to all current EEA2 holders & those who get it in the next 2 years who won't be able to apply for PR in time?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 am

Jellybean105 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Hopefully, that will be the case. But then what will happen to all current EEA2 holders & those who get it in the next 2 years who won't be able to apply for PR in time?
None of us know. This will likely be part of the many discussions in parliament/government in the coming months and the negotiations with Brussels.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

gillacious_505

Post by gillacious_505 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:30 am

I am pretty assure the future of EEA2 holders would be safeguarded because the criteria for the settlement of EEA2 cannot be changed retrospectively.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:58 am

gillacious_505 wrote:I am pretty assure the future of EEA2 holders would be safeguarded because the criteria for the settlement of EEA2 cannot be changed retrospectively.
The UK has implemented retroactive changes concerning settlement before (admittedly with mixed success), and they might decide, or be forced, to do so again. And I don't think there is anything at all about this contingency in the EEA agreement. If there were, somebody surely would have just quoted that section by now and this thread of discussion would have ended right then and there.

I believe there will have to be some kind of reasonable transitional arrangement in place because this affects so many British citizens living outside the UK as well as EU citizens. But right now, all of the EU politicians seem to be taking hard line stances and are unwilling to publicly suggest or consider reasonable compromises that would benefit everybody, or atleast that everybody could live with. So we just don't know.

aledeniz

Post by aledeniz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:06 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
mkhan2525 wrote:I’m sure their entry would be covered under Article 8. This is likely to be the view of the ECJ as the UK will not be withdrawing from the Human Rights Act.
This argument has already been made and failed. The counter argument being that the UK citizen can always go live with their spouse in the spouse's country with no restriction.
My wife is now a British citizen, but before that it was never the case I could go living in her country, Turkey, with no restrictions, they wouldn't give me a work permit even with a solid offer by a multinational in place.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:10 am

aledeniz wrote:My wife is now a British citizen, but before that it was never the case I could go living in her country, Turkey, with no restrictions, they wouldn't give me a work permit even with a solid offer by a multinational in place.
Not clear why it is expected that people can go 'anywhere' and have unfettered free access to 'everything' in that country without restriction;
each sovereign country will naturally govern such entry and access to foreigners by implementing a visa system to service the self-interest and the wants and needs of that country.
Including UK.

Anything else requires a collectively agreed. collaborative approach between a grouping of countries - sound familiar?
And it is a free market/single market/free movement type of system that is now being systematically dismantled.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:53 am

noajthan wrote:Anything else requires a collectively agreed. collaborative approach between a grouping of countries - sound familiar?
Yep, we used to have the principle - a wife could live with her husband in his country in much of the world.

The EU has never supported that principle, and the Commission claimed to be ready to overrule the Metock judgement, which underpins most use of Surinder Singh. I'm still not sure it won't happen - it isn't just the UK government which dislikes the Metock judgement.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:15 am

aledeniz wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:
mkhan2525 wrote:I’m sure their entry would be covered under Article 8. This is likely to be the view of the ECJ as the UK will not be withdrawing from the Human Rights Act.
This argument has already been made and failed. The counter argument being that the UK citizen can always go live with their spouse in the spouse's country with no restriction.
My wife is now a British citizen, but before that it was never the case I could go living in her country, Turkey, with no restrictions, they wouldn't give me a work permit even with a solid offer by a multinational in place.
You do not have a human right to work. That's a country-by-country thing. The UK is exceptional in its generosity on this point concerning spouses, and even here there many notable restrictions. When I said 'no restriction', I meant that the UK is not restricting you from being with your spouse in their country. Hence their is no valid Human Rights claim. I did not mean that the spouse's country would allow you in with no restrictions.