ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rise in Xenophobia and hate since Brexit

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Obie
Ireland

Rise in Xenophobia and hate since Brexit

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:15 pm

There has been a steady rise in acts of hate and Xenophobia since the Referendum on the 23rd June.

There are reports that hate crimes have increased by up to 57% since the referendum result.

Haters have used the result as a passport to attack people of different nationality, race and religion.

A German woman who was married to a British man and have lived in the UK for over 30 years was told to go home, and she is not welcomed in the UK any longer. The widow had excrement put in her door and told she is no longer welcome in the UK.

This spike in Xenophobia is becoming the order of the day in the UK since the result.

People are advised to report to police any of this incident.

Unfortunately the German woman has been confined to her home for the last 3 days unable to get out, poor woman. It appears the police have not been able to assist this poor vulnerable person.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/so ... ng-8301656

I was reduced to tears when i heard the woman's story. No human being deserves to be treated in such manner.

With a rise in 57%, in it no surprise that the police are overwhelmed.
Acts of lovely is unacceptable, especially against lawful residence who work hard, are law abiding, and make positive contributions to the UK.

People should not put up with it in secrecy, they should stand up to these evil creature, and if unsafe to do so, call the police.

Please should avoid walking alone in area which voted overwhelmingly for Brexit, and which has a reputation for far right.

As westminister is in political turmoil and chaos, these occurrence are likely to occur until this state of disarray in the political parties subsides.

We are on borrowed times. It is unbelievable these this people have taken us back to the dark days of the 60s and 70s.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Amber
Mood:

Re: Rise in Xenophobia and hate since Brexit

Post by Amber » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Oh how ridiculous, so you are basically saying that you can't go anywhere but for NI, Scotland or London otherwise all the English will pop up and bat you, particularly the ones who voted leave. You must have sucker wrote on your head!
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:36 pm

In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision. Dalai Lama
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Casa wrote:In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision. Dalai Lama
Point taken. I shall desist from posting current affair materials , if it is likely to cause discomfort to member.

Needless to say, that it is clearly not the intention behind the post.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:52 pm

For the best I think Obie.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:22 am

With all due respect Obie is one of the oldest Gurus on this forum and I think he deserves respect. There is nothing wrong with his post. He just raised his concern about what is going on, that's all. People are concerned, it's only natural.
Mean what you say, say what you mean

ILR4PVM

Post by ILR4PVM » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:59 pm

+1 Nimitta

When Obie started raising this very serious issue straight after the results in various threads, all other moderators / gurus seemed hell bent in proving that nothing is wrong - hope now you have seen enough reports in the media to think again. This is only going to get worse with the leadership vaccumm, broken promises and unravelling lies ! I live in Essex, the recruiting ground for everything far right and have seen and heard enough instances in the last one week to know that this divisive campaign has stokked up enough hatred in this already inward looking region. :(

"In order to carry a positive action we must first acknowledge an issue rather than being in total denial !"

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:10 am

ILR4PVM wrote:+1 Nimitta
..., all other moderators / gurus seemed hell bent in proving that nothing is wrong
Speak for your yourself, don't pigeonhole me.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:37 am

noajthan wrote:
..., all other moderators / gurus seemed hell bent in proving that nothing is wrong
Speak for your yourself, don't pigeonhole me.
Me neither, but we should also be concerned that we now have Bremainers publicly saying the older generation who voted to leave, should go away and die. Hate simply breeds hate on all sides.
(Casa, not CR001)

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:05 am

Casa wrote:Hate simply breeds hate on all sides.
Indeed. Hate is also self-destructive.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:43 am

Obie's concerns may be well founded in history.

See also How Hate Speech Paves the Way For Harmful Social Movements.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

ILR4PVM

Post by ILR4PVM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 am

I should have said 'a few moderators / gurus'... apologies.

A tiny tiny minority of xenophobes started hijacking the results of the referendum and decided in their petty minds that they have got the mandate of 52% of the public to be openly dearly beloved. That tiny tiny minority now seems to be growing into a tiny minority and maybe a minority - but the real worry is that it is growing.

Take a look: https://www.facebook.com/groups/610588862443201/

Xenophobia is a by-product of natural selection and just like every other 'instinct', it takes immense resolve to go against what the selfish gene wants. The EU project for me was humanity's attempt to move forward into a 'Type 1' civilisation in the Kardashev scale https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale just like the internet, English language, stress on moving away from conventional energy sources and migration. Every transistion from one Type to the next creates immense social upheaval and are possible candidates for self destruction of a civilisation. Brexit may be, is one of them - a consequence of we trying to move from Type nothing to Type 1. If we work together, we will come out of this stronger and better. If not, we might be answering the Fermi Paradox https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox with the only possible outcome "It is the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself".

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:12 am

I hope that eventually the nice guys finish first.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:29 am

When Obie started raising this very serious issue straight after the results in various threads, all other moderators / gurus seemed hell bent in proving that nothing is wrong!"
Obie always puts anti-British posts on here. Look back at his posts and on the threads and on the sticky he starts.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:34 pm

I think we as a group need to markedly reduce the acrimony on these forums.

The referendum results have resulted in passions being inflamed on both sides of the debate. But it is worth remembering that the role of these forums is not to discussion politics in detail (though politics is bound to intrude given that rules on immigration are dictated by politics), but to guide individual members on their immigration journeys.

If we do discuss politics, let us try to do it in a relatively neutral way. Remember that everything (even evil) exists for a reason. The purpose of discussion should be to look at the reasons for an event occurring and addressing it, rather than condemning the event itself.

The acrimony of the debate has already led to one moderator taking indeterminate leave of absence. At the end of the day, we need a diverse range of opinions on these forums and the loss of experience, especially at that level, only impoverishes the whole forum and all of us.

So, temper, temper, calm down and let's carry on with helping each other with immigration related questions.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:41 pm

secret.simon wrote:I think we as a group need to markedly reduce the acrimony on these forums.

The referendum results have resulted in passions being inflamed on both sides of the debate. But it is worth remembering that the role of these forums is not to discussion politics in detail (though politics is bound to intrude given that rules on immigration are dictated by politics), but to guide individual members on their immigration journeys.

If we do discuss politics, let us try to do it in a relatively neutral way. Remember that everything (even evil) exists for a reason. The purpose of discussion should be to look at the reasons for an event occurring and addressing it, rather than condemning the event itself.

The acrimony of the debate has already led to one moderator taking indeterminate leave of absence. At the end of the day, we need a diverse range of opinions on these forums and the loss of experience, especially at that level, only impoverishes the whole forum and all of us.

So, temper, temper, calm down and let's carry on with helping each other with immigration related questions.
+ 1 and very eloquently put as usual secret.simon. Amber will be a loss to the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 pm

CR001 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:I think we as a group need to markedly reduce the acrimony on these forums.

+ 1 and very eloquently put as usual secret.simon. Amber will be a loss to the forum.
Oh no, not Amber. That is the wrong moderator to leave.

A cool head, common sense and has never tried to make money from anyone who posts on here asking for help. So sorry to see you go Amber.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Sadly Amber was a victim of unpleasant PMs (as all mods often are), but in one in particular a forum member accused both her and myself of working for Boris Johnson and that if she didn't say that the leave vote was fixed she would be reported to the electoral commission! Bonkers I know, but cyber bullying none-the-less. She simply had enough.
Amber has helped a great many members with advice, so our loss. :(

As a moderator I've attempted to remain neutral in these discussions, with only a brief comment here and there. My father always reminded me never to discuss religion and politics ...oh and the Great Pumpkin :|
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new ... uette_rule
(Casa, not CR001)

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:30 am

Better to discuss Winnie the Pooh's words of wisdom? :D
Winnie the Pooh wrote:The things that make me different are the things that make me.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:22 am

vinny wrote:Better to discuss Winnie the Pooh's words of wisdom? :D
Winnie the Pooh wrote:The things that make me different are the things that make me.
Funny Vinny that I'm fortunate to live on the very edge of Winnie the Pooh land and know him well. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:20 pm

Casa wrote:Sadly Amber was a victim of unpleasant PMs (as all mods often are), but in one in particular a forum member accused both her and myself of working for Boris Johnson and that if she didn't say that the leave vote was fixed she would be reported to the electoral commission! Bonkers I know, but cyber bullying none-the-less. She simply had enough.
Amber has helped a great many members with advice, so our loss. :(
So sorry that happened to you Amber. There are some evil people in this world and only a evil person would do that.

I hope this site gave their details to the police so that they can be traced. Even libraries have cctv.

Casa wrote:My father always reminded me never to discuss religion and politics ...oh and the Great Pumpkin :|
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new ... uette_rule
Ours was, "politics and money". :D

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm not sure that Amber is accessing posts any longer but I'm sure she will appreciate your kind thoughts if she is.

Parents...full of wisdom eh? :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:36 pm

I hope that after passions have calmed down, that Amber would resume her role. She has been helpful to many on these forums.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

RRSB2012

Post by RRSB2012 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:28 am

There is nothing wrong in having a strong opinion on any particular issue. What is needed is maturity and tolerance to value the difference of opinion.
I am glad that I have the opportunity of listening to different opinions and view points and thankful to everyone who raises them. It gives me an opportunity to think differently then my own mental model.

It is sad that a person who contributed over 16,000 posts had left the forum, what a loss caused by intolerance. Is it not possible to block people involved in hate speech? .... I am sure moderators must have tried whatever could have been possible.

I wish for and look forward to healthy discussions (with tolerance ofcourse).
Take Care everyone
R

Obie
Ireland

Pregnant woman beaten and had her fetus destroyed by a thug

Post by Obie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:57 pm