ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long Residence ILR - ECHR/EU Law - After Brexit??

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ali272
Member of Standing

Long Residence ILR - ECHR/EU Law - After Brexit??

Post by Ali272 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know whether 10 year long residency rule is based on ECHR or any other European law? If you had to bet, would you think it will be abolished in the next 3 years?

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: Settlement

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 pm

The 10 year long residency rule is purely UK law and it can be amended or abolished by the Home Office, as they did with the 14 year (legal and illegal) long residency rule.

Remember that at the moment, the focus of immigration is on "net migration", not on settlement. So, the focus is on tightening rules for people coming into the UK, not so much for people already here.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ali272
Member of Standing

Re: Long Residence ILR - ECHR/EU Law - After Brexit??

Post by Ali272 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:47 pm

Thank you.