ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to do a Subject Access Request

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

global gypsy

How to do a Subject Access Request

Post by global gypsy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:02 pm

There's mention of Subject Access Request in various places on this forum. Can someone explain clearly the steps involved in doing one?

Also, can this be made a Sticky thread?

Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 am

Last edited by vinny on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks, Vinny.
What documentation is required to prove one's identity? Passport? Driving licence?

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 pm

I sent them a copy of my passport photo page, and address proof (council tax bill). Along with these, I quoted my original WP reference number and also sent them a copy of it.

All that was to ensure they process my individual case and not a name-sake. However impossible it may seem, there could have been more than one John Galts living at the same address, if you know what I mean.

The letter was just two lines - "... please let me know what information you hold about me...".

Cheers.

saurya_s

Post by saurya_s » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 am

Hi all,
I want to apply for 10 year ILR. Can somebody please let me know what all I should be asking in for ILR.
Many thanks
S

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:46 am

saurya,

Just ask HO for SAR in a simple letter. In your letter, provide your address, DOB, HO Reference No.(see your previous correspondence from HO) and sent a cheque for £10 to HO. Also, make sure your signature matches the signature in HO file.The addres detail of Data Protection Unit is in the HO website. My friend is applying for ILR(10yrs Long residence) and has asked HO for SAR. there is no need to mention something specifically. They will send you photocopy of everything on their file. Unless you are missing something in your paasport.
Like, you have got no stamp on your PP when you first entered UK etc etc.

nj
Newly Registered

Subject Access Request

Post by nj » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 am

Hi RAJ2007
Thanks to you and other immigrationboards contributors, very helpful forum.I am planning to apply ILR on long residence basis, 10 years in Oct 2009.
My situation is as follows. Please give your opinion, if requesting SAR file from HO useful.

I came to UK as visitor on 28th Octoer 1999 (Visa valid for 6 months, until March 2000). In Nov/Dec in country dependent visa application refused. Existing visitor visa still valid.
From 24 Jan 2000 to 27 July 2006 permit free visa
27 July 2006 till 27 July 2011 HSMP. I will complete 10 years residence on 28th Oct 2009.
I meet all criteria for 10 year long residency (funds, P60 for 10 years, own home, absences within the set criteria, no ground for any general refusal as per imm rules).
My question is, refusal of dependent visa in 1999 will it have any implications for 10 year ILR application ?(Even with refusal of dependent visa, visitor visa was still vilid until I got permit free visa, therfore no gaps). Having SAR file will help to prepare my case better?.

Once again thanks to you and other immigrationboards forum contributors.
nj

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 am

still I would say ask for a SAR. It would give you more confidence. You only need to give all your passport when you apply for ILR(10yrs LR) and nothing else.

nj
Newly Registered

Subject access request

Post by nj » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:32 pm

Dear RAJ2007
Many thanks for your reply and advice.
nj

ravon
Newly Registered

Re: How to do a Subject Access Request

Post by ravon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:16 pm

global gypsy wrote:There's mention of Subject Access Request in various places on this forum. Can someone explain clearly the steps involved in doing one?

Also, can this be made a Sticky thread?

Many thanks.
A request for Personal Data is a subject access request under the Act. However, it may not always be necessary to treat a request for information as a formal request under the Data Protection Act (the "Act"). If the request for information is one which you would normally deal with within the normal course of your business, you should consider whether you need to deal with this as a formal subject access request under the Act.

* Firstly, the data controller must satisfy himself that the person making the request is, in fact, the data subject. The use of a subject access request form is advised, since the greatest breach of a data controller's security is for the data controller to satisfy a subject access request made by a person impersonating the data subject. The use of the form goes towards proving that the data controller has adequate identification and verification procedures in place.
* Secondly, the data controller is entitled to ask the data subject for further information to enable the data controller to locate the information which that person seeks. It should be remembered that the individual is within their rights to request copies of all information held about them. However, you may wish to try to help the data subject to try to narrow their request for information. This is discussed further below.

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Just wondering what exactly is mentioned on a SAR File.would appreciate if anyone can post the format.

denin
Newly Registered

HO reference number

Post by denin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 pm

I have made a SAR a while ago but it was rejected since I did not have HO reference number. Could I provide my National Insurance Number Instead? If not, how can I obtain a HO reference number? Please note that I did not have any correspondence with HO before the SAR.

Thanks
D

amycompton
Newly Registered

Post by amycompton » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 am

A request for Personal Data is a subject access request under the Act. However, it may not always be necessary to treat a request for information as a formal request under the Data Protection Act (the "Act"). If the request for information is one which you would normally deal with within the normal course of your business, you should consider whether you need to deal with this as a formal subject access request under the Act.

A subject access request is an individual's right of access to verify the information held about them on police computers.

A subject access request to the Police National Computer for instance will either provide a certificate stating that there is currently no information held about you on the police national computer, or it will provide a list of all information held on the computer including all convictions regardless of whether they are spent or not and intelligence matters including not guilty verdicts, cautions, reprimands, final warnings, No Further Action decisions and fixed penalty notices for disorder.

mycanal1

Re: HO reference number

Post by mycanal1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:30 pm

denin wrote:I have made a SAR a while ago but it was rejected since I did not have HO reference number. Could I provide my National Insurance Number Instead? If not, how can I obtain a HO reference number? Please note that I did not have any correspondence with HO before the SAR.

Thanks
D
give them photocopy of your current and old passport, the date of entry to uk, the visa ref number if u have on ur passport, copy of any letter from ukba/home office.
the more info you give the better they will be able to give information back to you.

Genetics123
Newly Registered

Post by Genetics123 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:59 am

I am an overstayer for 3 years and i had no knowledge because i was cheated by a lady. I have made a subject access request through a solicitor firm but gave my recent address for proof of address. Can ukba arrest me now as i have made the request because they know where to find me and case might become active now.i would want to know what actually happened to my flr(o) application as the whole package was returned to that lady and she denies receiving it. Only concern at the moment is whether ukba will come after me or not.

Thanks

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Likely a waste of money especially if you're going back 15+ years. Another scam IMO, but worth a shot at £10 fee + postage if any data held could help you out.

Good luck

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:19 pm

I'd like to add the Home Office confirmed they delete immigration files after 15 years of 'last action', whatever that means. Only up to 25 years in 'exceptional' cases.

So before people on here advise others to fork out their time/money on SARs, be aware.

VinGam
Italy

Post by VinGam » Fri May 20, 2016 4:03 pm

I am going to apply for a Subject Access Request and I have few question about the form. I would like to give them as much information as I can in order to help you in the process.

Section 1 - Home Office Reference.
I did receive DCPR last week and there are few numbers on it. Which is my Home Office Reference Number in the card?

Section 1 - Port Reference.
What would be in this case the Port reference number?

Section 1 - Please list all reference numbers issued by...
Should I put all my reference numbers of my DCPR here?

Section 6 - Previous Immigration Applications
Can I add also here my DCPR application?
Last year I had a daughter and I applied for a British Passport. My wife and Me are EEA exercising the EC Treaty Right for more than 5 year. Should I add this reference too?

Section 6 - Entry into UK
Port: would it be for example Luton Airport?
Method of Entry: would it be for example Flight?

Thanks in advance.
EEA DCPR timeline
Documents sent: 24.02.16; DCPR received:14.05.16; Total: 80 days
Naturalisation timeline
Document sent: 16.12.16; Biometric: 11.01.2017; Approval 21.02.2017; Ceremony 06.03.2017; Passport Received 13.03.2017; Total: 87 days

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Fri May 20, 2016 8:32 pm

All of the above are just to help HO identify the correct person.
Section 1 - Home Office Reference.
Section 1 - Port Reference.
Section 1 - Please list all reference numbers issued by...
I left all of these blank.
Section 6 - Previous Immigration Applications
I included my DCPR application reference here.
Last year I had a daughter and I applied for a British Passport. My wife and Me are EEA exercising the EC Treaty Right for more than 5 year. Should I add this reference too?
I doubt there's much point.
Section 6 - Entry into UK
I wrote unknown as I genuinely don't know :lol:

VinGam
Italy

Post by VinGam » Sat May 21, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks ohara. Helpful as usual.

After I receive my DCPR I called the HO to find out which date they put date since when I am entitled to permanent resident but they said they don't hold such information.

I have requested printouts from our case worker database, home office files and landing cards. I am not sure about the last one because I have never done one.

Thanks
EEA DCPR timeline
Naturalisation timeline
Document sent: 16.12.16; Biometric: 11.01.2017; Approval 21.02.2017; Ceremony 06.03.2017; Passport Received 13.03.2017; Total: 87 days

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 am

I ticked everything. I have never filled in a landing card in my life and when everything came through it just said on the letter that no landing cards were found.

I suggest you stop calling UKVI on the phone, the helpline is completely useless.

VinGam
Italy

Post by VinGam » Sun May 22, 2016 10:10 am

I ticked everything a part from the VISA checkbox.

Thanks, Ohara.

Yes, they told me they don't hold that info but if I can prove I acquired it before the date in the DCPR then I can do the Naturalisation.
EEA DCPR timeline
Naturalisation timeline

VinGam
Italy

Post by VinGam » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Today I received my SAR request.
I would like to thank you for your help.

I will share my time line:
SAR document sent: 21/05/2016
SAR document received: not tracked, I guess they received it within few days.
Letter of Acknowledge: 08/08/2016
Money taken: cheque method 23/06/2016
Document received: 09/07/2016
Document dated: 02/07/2016

If you have previously done a DCPR request I can confirm it contains the date you acquired the PR status under section Entitlement.
However, the only information I have received is about my DCPR even if I have asked for everything, do they have data they collect at the airport or something else?
EEA DCPR timeline
Naturalisation timeline

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:25 am

VinGam wrote:Today I received my SAR request.
I would like to thank you for your help.

I will share my time line:
SAR document sent: 21/05/2016
SAR document received: not tracked, I guess they received it within few days.
Letter of Acknowledge: 08/08/2016
Money taken: cheque method 23/06/2016
Document received: 09/07/2016
Document dated: 02/07/2016

If you have previously done a DCPR request I can confirm it contains the date you acquired the PR status under section Entitlement.
However, the only information I have received is about my DCPR even if I have asked for everything, do they have data they collect at the airport or something else?
When did you last see your passport actually getting scanned when you entered an EEA country? :wink:

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:29 am

ohara wrote:When did you last see your passport actually getting scanned when you entered an EEA country? :wink:
Its not all about passport scans. There are other, ahem, systems in operation.
Some Union citizen members have reported finding interesting results captured in their SARs.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.