ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for citizenship with PR card

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Azurite
Newly Registered
Poland

Applying for citizenship with PR card

Post by Azurite » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi All,

I'm passing below question on behalf of my fiancé who is just in the middle of all paper work related to naturalization - I would be grateful if you could please assist.

My question is related to Naturalization, I started exercising EU treaty rights since 05/07/2010 (under WRS). By default I acquired Permanent Residence status on 05/07/2015 (last year). To be 100% sure I applied for PR card and received it on 14/09/2015. Having acquired PR status and then holding it for 12 months (05/07/2016) I would like to apply for naturalization next week (11/07/2016). As far as I understand I should be eligible for Naturalization as I've met all the requirements (no gaps in employment, all documents ready including referees etc). However, Nationality Checking Services keep telling me that I need to hold my PR status for 12 months starting 14/09/2015, the issue date on my PR card. Again as far as I understand the issue date on my PR card doesn't mean that I got my status on that date, it only confirms the issue of the document for the period I actually applied, which in my case is 05/07/2010 - 05/07/2015. Can someone please shed some more light on this matter?

Many thanks in advance.

Casa

Re: Applying for citizenship with PR card

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:02 pm

You are correct, the NCS staff are wrong. You could insist (or request politely) that they retrieve the confirmation of the date you acquired PR from your SAR. Many of the NCS offices now do this as a matter of course.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Azurite wrote:Hi All,

I'm passing below question on behalf of my fiancé who is just in the middle of all paper work related to naturalization - I would be grateful if you could please assist.

My question is related to Naturalization, I started exercising EU treaty rights since 05/07/2010 (under WRS). By default I acquired Permanent Residence status on 05/07/2015 (last year). To be 100% sure I applied for PR card and received it on 14/09/2015. Having acquired PR status and then holding it for 12 months (05/07/2016) I would like to apply for naturalization next week (11/07/2016). As far as I understand I should be eligible for Naturalization as I've met all the requirements (no gaps in employment, all documents ready including referees etc). However, Nationality Checking Services keep telling me that I need to hold my PR status for 12 months starting 14/09/2015, the issue date on my PR card. Again as far as I understand the issue date on my PR card doesn't mean that I got my status on that date, it only confirms the issue of the document for the period I actually applied, which in my case is 05/07/2010 - 05/07/2015. Can someone please shed some more light on this matter?

Many thanks in advance.
You are correct and NCS is incorrect having made a beginner's mistake in this area. Regrettably last year's rule change was rolled out with inadequate notice and training.

If you are not married to a BC you need to have been free from immigration time restrictions for 12 months; for a Union citizen that means having settled status (PR) not necessarily possessing the confirmatory PR card for 12 months.

Also discussed here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1289482.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Just to confirm (I wrote the post linked to above);

I acquired PR in 2012, I only applied for the card in 2016, I received it in February and applied to naturalise the following month and I was approved. I am not married to a British citizen.

What NCS has told you is wrong and they can make a quick and simple phone call to confirm the date of your PR. I am surprised they did not do this (they did for me).

Azurite
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Azurite » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Thank you all!

It makes sense, was just so confusing as they seemed to be so confident that I wanted to double check before paying a fortune for an application only to be rejected it's too early.

Azurite
Newly Registered
Poland

Certified copies for Naturalisation

Post by Azurite » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 am

Hi All,

A quick question with regards to sending certified copies instead of original documents for Naturalisation of a EU person. As far as I understand the only original document required by Home Office is the life in the UK test result (PASS) and perhaps a degree (Bachelor or Masters) from a UK university (in my case). In terms of all the other documents (including EU Passport), can I provide certified copies only?

Many Thanks in advance.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:32 am

No need to make multiple posts.

Stay frosty.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:03 am

If you are applying by post, you must send original documents.

The only way you can keep your original documents is to apply through NCS as they will make copies and submit the application on your behalf. The exception of course is the Life in the UK pass letter, which they must send the original (they should make a copy and give you that).

Azurite
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Azurite » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks for merging - I wasn't sure if I should create new topic or continue using the same.

So even if I have certified copies made by solicitor or HR department (for P60s or payslips), these still won't be classified as 'proper' certified copies as only NCS has an authority to do so?

How about a situation in which immigration solicitors are submitting an application on my behalf? Are they able to do certified copies that will be acceptable for HO?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:48 am

NCS is the only option if you do not want to send original documents. It'll also only cost you ~£60 instead of £600+

Azurite
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Azurite » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:57 am

Okay, thanks. I had an option to make certified copies by a solicitor at almost no cost (long history), so I was temped for a moment, but if these are not going to be accepted then it doesn't make sense.

ohara, you mentioned in your previous post that NCS made 'a quick and simple phone call to confirm the date of your PR'. Did they call HO directly for you?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Azurite wrote:ohara, you mentioned in your previous post that NCS made 'a quick and simple phone call to confirm the date of your PR'. Did they call HO directly for you?
Yes. NCS offices have a regional hotline where they can make enquiries directly to HO. It was on speed dial and when she phoned, it was answered immediately.

She asked to confirm the date of my permanent residence, read the number out from the card, and the guy on the phone immediately came back and said 1st June 2012.

Azurite
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Azurite » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Good to know, thanks!