ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What does the EU referendum mean for me??

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rafastaa
Newly Registered

What does the EU referendum mean for me??

Post by Rafastaa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi,

So I've been in the UK legally under various Visa since 2009 aged 13. I come from Malaysia. I've spent the last 7 years in England and come September I will be attending University in Scotland under a tier 4 visa which permits me an extra 4 years in the UK allowing me to apply for ILR in my 10th year in the UK.

Now while the EU referendum doesn't quite affect me directly it may well affect me in the long run.

Now my questions is, if Scotland succeed in their attempt to leave the United Kingdom (if a Scottish referendum is held) how will this affect me?

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: What does the EU referendum mean for me??

Post by ohara » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 pm

If you're here on UK immigration route, it most likely won't affect you at all.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:54 pm

I think the OP's question is, how will a prospective Scottish independence referendum affect him/her?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Rafastaa
Newly Registered

Post by Rafastaa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Yup^^

Rafastaa
Newly Registered

Post by Rafastaa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Anyone?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 pm

How can you possibly expect any of us on the forum to know or guess what will happen.

If Scotland votes yes, it will also be a long process to separate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:52 pm

CR001 wrote:How can you possibly expect any of us on the forum to know or guess what will happen.

If Scotland votes in, they could rejoin EU before the end of UK's period under Article 50.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Obie wrote:
CR001 wrote:How can you possibly expect any of us on the forum to know or guess what will happen.

If Scotland votes in, they could rejoin EU before the end of UK's period under Article 50.
Agree and I remember in 2014 they had spoken about the issue regarding the visas and offering transitional type arrangements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ram14esh

Post by ram14esh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:53 pm

my understanding is that it would be better not to dwell on such speculations as of now and get confused. Just leave it for an year or so then things would settle down so we might get a clear picture even I was confused after the shock exit of UK from EU.So take it easy:)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:42 am

Obie wrote:

The leaked EU document showed that the EU have refused Sturgeon. Scotland's GDP is worse than Greece!
Losing the UK means the EU have just lost a net contributer and they won't be in a hurry to take on another country that the EU has to pay for, and certainly not on the same deal as a net contributer.

Scotland runs up £15bn deficit twice size of UK's
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... f-UKs.html

They will have to leave the UK, borrow billions to pay the black hole in their finances that England pays for them. Then apply to join the EU and wait, just as any new country wanting to join the EU has to do.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:51 pm

That is not all the stORY.

Scotland contribute more per hear in revenue to the UK than any other nation In the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28879267

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:25 pm

Out of date. That article is 2 years old, before the drop in the oil price.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:06 pm

avjones wrote:Out of date. That article is 2 years old, before the drop in the oil price.
And that article was based on Sturgeon's figures, which were wrong. It was pointed out at time.

AN INDEPENDENT Scotland would be left with a multi-billion pound black hole in its public finances and forced to embark on further austerity-style cuts or hike up taxes, a leading think-tank has warned.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/s ... -1-3192186

She later admitted she had 'got her figures wrong'. Lots on the web on it.

Nicola Sturgeon admits independence oil figures were wrong
The First Minster finally concedes the Scottish Government overestimated oil revenues during the referendum after the Telegraph reports they were up to 13 times as much as the latest official projections.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... wrong.html

And Scotland's financial black hole has got worse.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:37 pm

In all honesty, I believe an independent Scotland will be better for the Scottish people. This is without prejudice to the United Kingdom as a whole.

Even Sir Nicholas Macpherson has now changed his mind against Scotland being in the UK, he thinks Scotland's best days are yet to come, and i agree with him.

Something that surprises me and even the First Minister of SCOTLAND.

Even if there was some risk, I believe it will be in the interest of Scotland to go it alone.

If England and Wales can vote for Leave, despite the warning, which have fully materialise today, it is difficult to see why the Scots can't , to ensure they afford opportunities to their people, make their country an open and progressive one, rather than a closed and backward one.

Opinion polls shows a majority of Scots wants independent, and i think they are probably right.

One has to remember they vote by a 23 points margin to stay in the EU, far greater than any country of the UK. It is incumbent on the leaders to ensure the wishes of the people are implemented.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:35 am

In other words, if the UK leaves the EU, then the UK may also break up?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:26 am

vinny wrote:In other words, if the UK leaves the EU, then the UK may also break up?
Quite possibly. In fact I wil say that will be the inevitable consequence. The first minister has promised to give effect to the will of her people, which is to stay in the EU. That will cannot be given effect to, with scotland still in the UK.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:15 am

Something for Parliament and future PM to consider.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:33 pm

vinny wrote:Something for Parliament and future PM to consider.
Some parts of the British Isles don't allow EEA nationals to work - the British Islands. Could England and Wales also partially opt out, like the Isle of Man? (The Isle of Man is inside the single market.) A possible downside is that the Scots and Irish could lose the right to work in England, though those already here would probably be deemed to have a 'local connection'.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:39 pm

vinny wrote:Something for Parliament and future PM to consider.
Shame that Prime Minister will not be Andrea Leadsom. She would have made the Scottish decision much easier.

So much for democracy. The Tories did not allow their grassroot to decide.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:09 pm

Statement: the status of EU nationals in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/stat ... -in-the-uk

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:07 am

Does this statement mean that lawfully resident former EU criminals may stay? Monday's statement (11/7/16) looks like the type of 'rash' promise that Theresa May accused Andrea Leadsom of being about to make.

About the only new thing the statement says, though it is to be lauded for getting the nuances on tit for tat reprisals right, is,
When we do leave the EU, we fully expect that the legal status of EU nationals living in the UK, and that of UK nationals in EU member states, will be properly protected.
However, the word 'properly' leaves a lot of wriggle room.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:21 am

Obie wrote:So much for democracy. The Tories did not allow their grassroot to decide.
Competing sources of legitimacy may need goodwill to reconcile. Look at the problems Labour are having.

As to democracy, there is a serious concern that the Conservative party membership does not come close to being representative of Conservative voters.

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Rights of EU citizens to live in UK after Brexit, doesn't guarantee it will include the rights to work. You can live legally in UK but you may not entitle to work or study. So be careful when you are interpreting any news about the EU citizens' right after Brexit.