ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

domi
Newly Registered

student visa

Post by domi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:07 pm

I'm sitizen of not EU-country and have student visa for a 6 month with remarks "No Work" and I have been living with my girlfriend from Estonia she have permission for living and working in UK for 5 years. Can I ask from Home Office for changing my student visa for a unmarried partner or maybe somthing esle? I would like have permision to work legally in UK how my girlfriend can help me?

Many thanks

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:32 pm

To qualify to change your status to that of an unmarried partner requires you to demonstrate that your relationship has subsisted for two years. Does this apply to you? If it does then fill out form FLR (O) and submit with payment and appropriate documentation to the Home Office.

The situation would be different had you been her spouse - Estonia will join the EU on 1 May 2004 and in line with EU laws you would be able to work in the UK as the dependent of an EU national exercising treaty rights. However as only spouse and children are considered as dependents under EU law with an allowance for parents and grandparents in the ascending line you need to look at other alternatives.

Details of your nationality, work experience etc will help provide you more options such as HSMP, WP's and the ECAA (if you are not from Bulgaria or Romania).

domi
Newly Registered

Post by domi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:04 pm

Kayalami wrote:To qualify to change your status to that of an unmarried partner requires you to demonstrate that your relationship has subsisted for two years. Does this apply to you? If it does then fill out form FLR (O) and submit with payment and appropriate documentation to the Home Office.

The situation would be different had you been her spouse - Estonia will join the EU on 1 May 2004 and in line with EU laws you would be able to work in the UK as the dependent of an EU national exercising treaty rights. However as only spouse and children are considered as dependents under EU law with an allowance for parents and grandparents in the ascending line you need to look at other alternatives.

Details of your nationality, work experience etc will help provide you more options such as HSMP, WP's and the ECAA (if you are not from Bulgaria or Romania).
We know each other about 2 month and I met her in UK. I'm from east Europe from Azerbaijan. But what you could advice me? Can I do somthing?

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:33 pm

The situation would be different had you been her spouse - Estonia will join the EU on 1 May 2004 and in line with EU laws you would be able to work in the UK as the dependent of an EU national exercising treaty rights.
You should aim towards that 'scenario' above assuming you are committed to each other.

As a result of Blair's immigration summit yesterday - note that change of status based on marriages is gona be 'cracked on ' seriously!!!!....I am not implying that your marriage would not be genuine.

I have heard of people falling in love in a 'nite club' and getting married the following day...and the marriages have lasted for a very long time - compared to others

Good Luck
Where there is a will there is a way.

domi
Newly Registered

Post by domi » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:53 pm

Chess wrote:
The situation would be different had you been her spouse - Estonia will join the EU on 1 May 2004 and in line with EU laws you would be able to work in the UK as the dependent of an EU national exercising treaty rights.
You should aim towards that 'scenario' above assuming you are committed to each other.

As a result of Blair's immigration summit yesterday - note that change of status based on marriages is gona be 'cracked on ' seriously!!!!....I am not implying that your marriage would not be genuine.

I have heard of people falling in love in a 'nite club' and getting married the following day...and the marriages have lasted for a very long time - compared to others

Good Luck
But i'm not wanna marry. Have I other way?