ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born abroad to naturalised UK citizen - multi citizenship

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Saladin0011
Mood:
Czech Republic

Child born abroad to naturalised UK citizen - multi citizenship

Post by Saladin0011 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Well. Now I don't understand. What is it jus soli? What does it means for me if I will have child born lets say in Spain and I have Czech and english passport and my wife Portuguese?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Re: Child born abroad to naturalized UK citizens - Citizensh

Post by Richard W » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:23 am

Saladin0011 wrote:Well. Now I don't understand. What is it jus soli? What does it means for me if I will have child born lets say in Spain and I have Czech and english passport and my wife Portuguese?
Nothing, for Spain does not have jus soli (literally, 'law of the ground').

Now if you replaced Spain by the USA, you would have a good example. The child would be an American citizen (like Boris Johnson), and then whether child was Czech, British or Portuguese would depend on the rules by which long-term foreign residence extinguishes nationality. British nationality only descends one generation amongst British citizens living overseas, but British citizens are British citizens for life (unless they earn the displeasure of the Secretary of State or renounce their citizenship).

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:38 am

Most countries employ nationality law which is a combination of jus soli and jus sanguinis.

Jus soli is Latin for "right of the soil" and jus sanguinis is Latin for "right of blood". They are used to differentiate between how citizenship can be acquired at birth, for example based on WHERE you are born or WHO you are born TO.

The USA is just one example of a country which applies unconditional jus soli - anyone who is born in the USA is automatically an American citizen (with very very few exceptions). The status of the parents is irrelevant. This is the reason why our new Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, also has American citizenship as he was born in New York.

The UK used to be the same, but the law has been significantly tightened up since the British Nationality Act 1981 came into force. Now, at least one parent must be legally settled in the UK, or the child does not acquire British citizenship at birth (plenty of cases on this forum).

Most countries will allow parents to pass their own citizenship down at least one generation to children born outside their own birth country. For example if you are born or naturalised British, and you have a child anywhere else in the world, it automatically acquired British citizenship by descent.

Due to the complexity and differences between some countries nationality laws, some odd situations can occur. For example, it is conceivably possible to acquire four citizenships at birth. My sister has three. It is also possible to be born stateless, although most countries have specific provisions to deal with this too.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am

Well. Now I don't understand. What is it jus soli? What does it means for me if I will have child born lets say in Spain and I have Czech and english passport and my wife Portuguese?
Depending on the nationality laws of the individual countries, the child could end up with up to 4 citizenships from birth. Happens a lot these days, for example I'm having a baby this year and due to mine and the dad's citizenships and status in the UK, she will probably end up with 6 citizenships from birth. Super strange but hey why not^^
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:12 am

LilyLalilu wrote:
Depending on the nationality laws of the individual countries, the child could end up with up to 4 citizenships from birth. Happens a lot these days, for example I'm having a baby this year and due to mine and the dad's citizenships and status in the UK, she will probably end up with 6 citizenships from birth. Super strange but hey why not^^
I fully expect to see a photo of your baby surrounded by 6 different passports :)

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 am

I fully expect to see a photo of your baby surrounded by 6 different passports :)
Haha, that'd be funny! Would probably be accompanied by a photo of us looking sad and £400 out of pocket after paying for all those passports :lol:
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Re: Child born abroad to naturalised UK citizen - multi citi

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:35 am

Moved to appropriate forum.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Saladin0011
Mood:
Czech Republic

Post by Saladin0011 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:56 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:
Haha, that'd be funny! Would probably be accompanied by a photo of us looking sad and £400 out of pocket after paying for all those passports :lol:
Well worth it 8)