ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU National Applying for UK Permanent Residence

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

noajthan

Re: EU National Applying for UK Permanent Residence

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:24 pm

livia wrote:Oh. Sorry. I wanted to say in 3 months, applying for Residence in 3 months after working! Supposing someone would want to employ an in-house photographer/translator in the current climate (these jobs are mostly freelance, hence my Self-Employed status).

Yes, you are right, we might actually be dead tomorrow. All this stress might cause some heart attack to some of us.

I have a Romanian Health Insurance. I think what I paid stands for a Health Insurance. Not sure how 'comprehensive' it is, that's what I will try to find next, haven't looked into that; I just tried to assess all the possibilities (avoiding the the sponsor-dependant thing for now) - and, at least, I seem to narrow them a bit now, more clearly, and know on what to focus next.

I wouldn't have been able to do that without your help.

Thank you very much for your support.
Applying 3 months into a job or s/e venture would make sense.

If that is an insurance that somehow covers you for healthcare in UK (& some countries do have them) then you do have a chance as 'student+self-sufficient' - on the basis of support (not sponsorship) from your partner.

You would still apply in own right.

Assemble timeline and evidence.
(Get policy officially translated if it stands up).
Try filling form out.
See how it hangs together.

Ofcourse its your call but in this climate getting the right papers under your belt could be life-changing.

Best of British luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

livia
Newly Registered

Post by livia » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:54 pm

noajthan wrote:
livia wrote:Oh. Sorry. I wanted to say in 3 months, applying for Residence in 3 months after working! Supposing someone would want to employ an in-house photographer/translator in the current climate (these jobs are mostly freelance, hence my Self-Employed status).

Yes, you are right, we might actually be dead tomorrow. All this stress might cause some heart attack to some of us.

I have a Romanian Health Insurance. I think what I paid stands for a Health Insurance. Not sure how 'comprehensive' it is, that's what I will try to find next, haven't looked into that; I just tried to assess all the possibilities (avoiding the the sponsor-dependant thing for now) - and, at least, I seem to narrow them a bit now, more clearly, and know on what to focus next.

I wouldn't have been able to do that without your help.

Thank you very much for your support.
Applying 3 months into a job or s/e venture would make sense.

If that is an insurance that somehow covers you for healthcare in UK (& some countries do have them) then you do have a chance as 'student+self-sufficient' - on the basis of support (not sponsorship) from your partner.

You would still apply in own right.

Assemble timeline and evidence.
(Get policy officially translated if it stands up).
Try filling form out.
See how it hangs together.

Ofcourse its your call but in this climate getting the right papers under your belt could be life-changing.

Best of British luck.

Thank you!
And sorry for coming back!

1) Just read on the Romanian official website that the European Health Insurance Card issued in Romania is valid 1 year. I will get one anyway. Will it matter towards a DCPR to have a EHCI issued in July 2016? (I also have to add together with the EHCI a declaration that my intention is to stay temporary here.) I am worried that Romanian Insurance for last 5 years + EHIC issued in July 2016 + CSI issued in July 2016 won't be enough towards a Self-Sufficient case for Permanent Residence;

2) I just realised I can apply for RC as a Self-Sufficient in three months. Just get the right CSI. And apply in three months. Isn't this the easiest route towards RC? I don't have to state what I did previously.

However, Section 10.9 - Personal History - asks for how long have I lived in the UK. I paid Council Tax and everything, I have bank account etc., so I have been here since August 2010. Will that affect the decision? What should I put in there? Three months?!

3) How will it affect me in the future to have a RC as a Self-Sufficient? Can I get employment or become self-employed etc.?

I am sorry, I really wanted to stop bothering you - but these two things appeared now in my mind.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:38 pm

livia wrote:1) Just read on the Romanian official website that the European Health Insurance Card issued in Romania is valid 1 year. I will get one anyway. Will it matter towards a DCPR to have a EHCI issued in July 2016? (I also have to add together with the EHCI a declaration that my intention is to stay temporary here.) I am worried that Romanian Insurance for last 5 years + EHIC issued in July 2016 + CSI issued in July 2016 won't be enough towards a Self-Sufficient case for Permanent Residence;

2) I just realised I can apply for RC as a Self-Sufficient in three months. Just get the right CSI. And apply in three months. Isn't this the easiest route towards RC? I don't have to state what I did previously.

However, Section 10.9 - Personal History - asks for how long have I lived in the UK. I paid Council Tax and everything, I have bank account etc., so I have been here since August 2010. Will that affect the decision? What should I put in there? Three months?!

3) How will it affect me in the future to have a RC as a Self-Sufficient? Can I get employment or become self-employed etc.?

I am sorry, I really wanted to stop bothering you - but these two things appeared now in my mind.
1) To use past time you need that insurance to come good. If it has been valid over past 5-6 years and is 'comprehensive' then that's probably enough for you to be classed as self-sufficient.

Any new EHIC and CSI are only good for going forwards.

2) Yes, good point.

You can't suppress information or Spammy Spammer it sound good or to tell a good story.
As you came in 2010 state 2010.
RCs for EEA are optional, you won't be penalised for not having one.

3) No limitation, ofcourse you can. (There is no 'good' RC or bad 'RC').
The RC confirms your status as being entitled to reside, work or even study in UK.

That's the beauty and elegance of free movement, like a wonderful, precious and heavenly-scented orchid. (And they want to crush it and toss it into the compost bin of history).

Viva free movement!

livia
Newly Registered

Post by livia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:41 am

1) I managed to speak to the National Insurance Fund in Romania. It seems my Romanian Health Insurance goes back to July 2012 only. Will try on Monday to speak to someone there and see if I can sort this out somehow. This will take time though.

If my Health Insurance starts from 2012, would I still be able to apply for a Permanent Residence in my own right as Self-Sufficient in 2017? I'm thinking about waiting until then if I can't sort this out. But on the application they will see a gap between the date when I entered the UK (Sept 2010) and when I graduated (July 2011) and for when my HI starts (2012). Or that doesn't matter? Also, I'll have to look back on Bank Statements from 2012. It is a long time ago. Do they need monthly statements, detailed? Or the sum of money that was in the account every year? Also, as my partner was paying for accommodation and other living costs, would it be okay if they won't see this reflected in my Bank Account?

2) Now, the most important thing, as you said before, is to get an RC somehow for me.

I'm thinking about sending in EEA (PR) as Self-Employed for my partner as soon as possible, and in 3 months, to apply for EEA (QP) myself as Self-Sufficient. I guess that even if my partner gets his PR in the meantime, it doesn't matter for my application. I will mention him on my EEA (QP) as the 'Owner of Financial Resources' section. No details are required though. How much money do you think I should have in my account over the next three months? Is it okay if is from one source? There might be money coming into my account from clients, too, but not that much. Also, how can I make sure the CSI is the right one? Do usually the Insurance companies know what type of insurance I need?

3) If I get the RC (hopefully by the end of the year), can I still apply as EEA (QP) for Permanent Residence next year, using the 5 year period as Self-Sufficient and the Romanian NI + the CSI for last period of time? (theoretically, because, as you said, things will change). What I mean is, does having a Resident Certificate dated 2016 will reset the PR clock? I'm asking all this in order to know if I should still wait and see if I have strong evidence (the HI thing) to apply for Permanent Residence as Self-Sufficient.

Because if having RC dated 2016 means I will not be able to try the EEA (QP) option :
I reach now to your initial advice:
Apply for Residence as EFM (QP) with my partner as a Sponsor, at the same time with him.
End of story.
Probably a bit more chances to get the RC anyway if I do this at the same time with him.

In what way him being my Sponsor will affect him in the future? For example, for obtaining British Citizenship?

I'm worried about decisions taken now - especially for him, that's why I try to avoid this route.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:55 am

livia wrote:1) I managed to speak to the National Insurance Fund in Romania. It seems my Romanian Health Insurance goes back to July 2012 only. Will try on Monday to speak to someone there and see if I can sort this out somehow. This will take time though.

If my Health Insurance starts from 2012, would I still be able to apply for a Permanent Residence in my own right as Self-Sufficient in 2017? I'm thinking about waiting until then if I can't sort this out. But on the application they will see a gap between the date when I entered the UK (Sept 2010) and when I graduated (July 2011) and for when my HI starts (2012). Or that doesn't matter? Also, I'll have to look back on Bank Statements from 2012. It is a long time ago. Do they need monthly statements, detailed? Or the sum of money that was in the account every year? Also, as my partner was paying for accommodation and other living costs, would it be okay if they won't see this reflected in my Bank Account?

2) Now, the most important thing, as you said before, is to get an RC somehow for me.

I'm thinking about sending in EEA (PR) as Self-Employed for my partner as soon as possible, and in 3 months, to apply for EEA (QP) myself as Self-Sufficient. I guess that even if my partner gets his PR in the meantime, it doesn't matter for my application. I will mention him on my EEA (QP) as the 'Owner of Financial Resources' section. No details are required though. How much money do you think I should have in my account over the next three months? Is it okay if is from one source? There might be money coming into my account from clients, too, but not that much. Also, how can I make sure the CSI is the right one? Do usually the Insurance companies know what type of insurance I need?

3) If I get the RC (hopefully by the end of the year), can I still apply as EEA (QP) for Permanent Residence next year, using the 5 year period as Self-Sufficient and the Romanian NI + the CSI for last period of time? (theoretically, because, as you said, things will change). What I mean is, does having a Resident Certificate dated 2016 will reset the PR clock? I'm asking all this in order to know if I should still wait and see if I have strong evidence (the HI thing) to apply for Permanent Residence as Self-Sufficient.

Because if having RC dated 2016 means I will not be able to try the EEA (QP) option :
I reach now to your initial advice:
Apply for Residence as EFM (QP) with my partner as a Sponsor, at the same time with him.
End of story.
Probably a bit more chances to get the RC anyway if I do this at the same time with him.

In what way him being my Sponsor will affect him in the future? For example, for obtaining British Citizenship?

I'm worried about decisions taken now - especially for him, that's why I try to avoid this route.
1) Good.
Yes 2012-2017 would be fine.

Don't worry about previous gaps. This is not a visa.
Previous non-qualifying periods are just disregarded because they don''t contribute towards PR.
There is no penalty (apart from 'refusal' :cry: ).
So don't worry about 'exposing' gaps.

When you apply you just needed to be sure there is one qualifying period. And to spoonfeed the caseworker you can point it out in a cogent cover letter.

2) Yes, good plan for partner, get his PR safely in the bag.

Not sure about specific amounts. Pore through the docs I've linked.
# of sources doesn't matter.

Shop around for CSI.
WPA and AXA are often mentioned as providers. I cannot vouch for them.

3) No, having a RC does not reset the PR clock.
They are all optional documents, I supose you can apply for as many as you like, when you like (afaik).

Partner being your sponsor only 'delays' when he can apply to naturalise, as by becoming a BC he can't sponsor you anymore.
So its a case of who blinks first, you or Government when the Brexit final exit gets closer.

livia
Newly Registered

Post by livia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:10 pm

noajthan wrote:
3) No, having a RC does not reset the PR clock.
They are all optional documents, I supose you can apply for as many as you like, when you like (afaik).

Partner being your sponsor only 'delays' when he can apply to naturalise, as by becoming a BC he can't sponsor you anymore.
So its a case of who blinks first, you or Government when the Brexit final exit gets closer.
1) I don't know how to apply for the RC now: EEA (QP) Self-Sufficient in 3 months / or EFM (QP) soon, together with my partner.

2) Is there a way in which we can change the status, of him sponsoring me, before him applying for British Citizenship, so that his BC not to be delayed? Is it possible to change my status from 'Self-Sufficient' to 'Self-employed', let's say, or 'Employed' to facilitate his BC application process? Or what should I do? To declare somewhere that he is not my sponsor anymore?! Or do you mean that AFTER obtaining BC he won't be able to sponsor me?!

3) Just to get this right again: Even with a RC issued in 2016, I can apply for the DCPR as EEA (QP) at a later date - using the 5 years of residence here + Self-Sufficient route and the NI insurance.

I don't know how to thank you enough.

alexxy
Newly Registered

Post by alexxy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:31 pm

My advice on this: For any period of time in the last 5 years you need to state under what basis you apply, say from 2011-2012 student, 2012- 2013 self-sufficient if that was the case etc

Now, you are only exempt from providing evidence of CSI if you obtained a registration certificate issued to you under the capacity of being a student (yellow card, blue card ) before 20th of June 2011 when this requirement was introduced. As I understand that is not your case, therefore for any period in which you were a student or self-sufficient you need to have had CSI or EHIC card to cover the entire period in which you were a student or self-sufficient. Hope that clarifies things a little bit.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:30 pm

livia wrote:1) I don't know how to apply for the RC now: EEA (QP) Self-Sufficient in 3 months / or EFM (QP) soon, together with my partner.

2) Is there a way in which we can change the status, of him sponsoring me, before him applying for British Citizenship, so that his BC not to be delayed? Is it possible to change my status from 'Self-Sufficient' to 'Self-employed', let's say, or 'Employed' to facilitate his BC application process? Or what should I do? To declare somewhere that he is not my sponsor anymore?! Or do you mean that AFTER obtaining BC he won't be able to sponsor me?!

3) Just to get this right again: Even with a RC issued in 2016, I can apply for the DCPR as EEA (QP) at a later date - using the 5 years of residence here + Self-Sufficient route and the NI insurance.

I don't know how to thank you enough.
1) Suggest apply in your own right if you can.

2) Once a BC your sponsor couldn't sponsor you as dual nationals (from EU/EEA) who are BCs are not recognised as Union citizens for this purpose - even before Brexit.
(Except under a special transitional arrangement, if you were married and had a RC before a key date in 2012.

3) Yes.

WalSag
Newly Registered

Post by WalSag » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:44 am

noajthan wrote:2) Once a BC your sponsor couldn't sponsor you as dual nationals (from EU/EEA) who are BCs are not recognised as Union citizens for this purpose - even before Brexit.
(Except under a special transitional arrangement, if you were married and had a RC before a key date in 2012.
My colleagues are obviously not aware of that. Since the referendum, I have had a lot of the 'now you are going to have to get involved with a British guy' crap. It's the kind of area where people moan if EU nationals marry among themselves (including, say, a German and an Italian marrying together), as this shows they do not want to integrate! Am I glad I don't have kids. :(

Livia, I don't know how far you've gone looking at CSI. If your husband/partner has PMI (Private Medical Insurance) through work, one solution would be for him to add you to his policy as a dependent. Some providers (AXA for example) will backdate the start date of your cover for up to 3 months.
If you are looking to take CSI in your own right, avoid BUPA at all costs. They are extremely dearly beloved, and it's not just in my experience (I even had 'we don't do foreigners' when trying to talk to them on the phone - I made a complaint in writing :twisted: ), but that of other foreigners as well, and even of British people who just happened to be married to a foreigner, and had taken their husband's foreign family name.
AXA are good though pricey. I know of several foreigners (with names much harder to spell than mine) who have policies with them, with no issues whatsoever. Some of the staff are foreign, which does help. :)
Aviva is cheaper, but I have no experience with them for that type of product. Have had plenty of dealing with them though, with no experience of beloved. I think they give a discount to people who visit the gym regularly, might be certain gyms only though (like Nuffield Health).
Vitality's premiums are in the middle range. Only know of 1 person with them, no problems as far as I know, but 1 is rather a small sample size. Again, I think they give a discount to people who visit the gym regularly.
WPA don't seem to come up on search engines or when you do a quote on Money Savings, however I have had very good feedback about them. Premiums are reasonable and quite a few people who work for the NHS seem to go for a cover with them, so they must be quite good. Also when I spoke to the underwriters a couple of years ago, they seemed very knowledgeable.
Lastly, if you are over a certain age, you may need to be underwritten: they will send you a health questionnaire and use the answers to see a) if they can accept you; b) if they need to charge you more than the standard premium to insure themselves against the risk of taking you on board. If you're in good health, it is nothing to worry about, and even if you had/have something, and it was/is treated successfully, you can still get cover. The fact that you had your cholesterol checked will help :) They will ask your NHS's GP contact details, so do make sure you are still registered with a NHS GP, even if you don't use the NHS. Mine tried to kick me out last time I moved house, I reregistered and booked an appointment for my 40-year old MOT (much, much outstanding, but needed to take a half day off work to attend), which earns them brownie points. I am praying they don't modify their catchment area or that I don't have to move house again.
If the premium is a bit pricey for you, don't hesitate to call their helpline and to try to haggle. It's in their interest to write as much business as possible. For example, you could get a cheap quote with BUPA, then call another provider and say 'I would like to take a policy with you, however I got a cheaper quote from BUPA, can you match it?'.
Mult noroc with your application!