ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh consequences - when can wife naturalise?

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

Surinder Singh consequences - when can wife naturalise?

Post by jonathan1989 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:02 am

I'm British, my wife is none EEA nationality. We did Surinder Singh via Germany. We moved back to the UK February 2013. Do you think we are far enough into the 6 years for my wife to still manage naturalization in 2019?

noajthan

Re: UK to leave EU - Surinder Singh consequences?

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:12 am

jonathan1989 wrote:I'm British, my wife is none EEA nationality. We did Surinder Singh via Germany. We moved back to the UK February 2013. Do you think we are far enough into the 6 years for my wife to still manage naturalization in 2019?
As you are a BC wife should acquire PR in 2018 ie after 5 years of residence in UK.

By virtue of naturalisation under Section 6(2) of BNA, just 3 years residence is required (but ofcourse that is subsumed into the 5 years it takes to acquire PR).

As the spouse of a BC, wife has no need to be free of immigration time restrictions for a further 12 months so she could shoot for the privilege of citizenship as early as 2018;
(assuming all other requirements have been/can be met).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Re: Surinder Singh consequences - when can wife naturalise?

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:14 am

To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one).

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan1989 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 am

noajthan wrote:To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one).
Thank you.

5 years places it within the 2 year EU notice period at least. So in February 2018 my wife could apply for citizenship straight away? She would need to do Life in the UK and demonstrate she's been in the UK for 5 years and I'd need to submit the same proof as for the family permit (of our time in Germany and how I exercised my rights there), is that right?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:24 pm

jonathan1989 wrote:Thank you.

5 years places it within the 2 year EU notice period at least. So in February 2018 my wife could apply for citizenship straight away? She would need to do Life in the UK and demonstrate she's been in the UK for 5 years and I'd need to submit the same proof as for the family permit (of our time in Germany and how I exercised my rights there), is that right?
Yes, that's kind of it at a high level.

Your wife needs to apply for a confirmation of PR card.
That's when you submit your supporting evidence from Germany.

Then, to apply to naturalise, the PR card is one of the mandatory requirements your wife submits as part of her application.

Check all other requirements for naturalisation in the AN guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2016.pdf

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Stop press: there does now appear to have been a step-change in HO policy - DCPR is no longer mandatory when applying to naturalise:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... l#p1377475

DCPR may still be advisable though, not only in order to reduce potential delays during processing but also to 'test the water' before shooting for citizenship (and putting a considerable application fee at stake).