ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa for second wife rejected - not divorced from first

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Spouse visa for second wife rejected - not divorced from first

Post by spiderman007 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi members
I am a British citizen having dual nationalities got married in 2012 in USA.My wife got a spouse visa in 2013 but then she refused to stay with me.She didn't travel on that visa.I had to divorce her,being a muslim i wrote on a piece of paper and sent it by post.After that i applied for Decree absolute here in UK.While the matter was in the British courts,i traveled to Pakistan and married to my new wife in December 2014.It was just a religious ceremony called as Nikkah.
My Decree absolute was issued in September 2015,as soon as i had decree in my hand i applied for my wife's visa. But visa was refused on a grounds that,i was already married when i did Nikkah in December 2014 where as Decree absolute was issued in September 2015. So in British law this marriage isn't valid.
I have appealed against this decision, haven't got the hearing date now.
Pls if some one can advise me,
1:what shall i do in the meanwhile to make this marriage valid?
2:Obviously this marriage i did isn't polygamous because i followed the law the land.
3:What argument shall we use in hearing?
pls advise if can

noajthan

Re: Spouse visa for second wife rejected - not divorced from

Post by noajthan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:53 pm

To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:01 pm

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:37 pm

An appeal stand little chance of success. Your best option would be to apply for a fiance visa and marry your second 'wife' in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Forget Appeal and make a fresh application for a fiance visa.That is best and only option for you :wink:

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:04 pm

thanks a lot
noajthan,batleykhan and casa for your reply and advise.
i will see me lawyer tomorrow and will discuss this with him.
thanks

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi
Been to my solicitor today, and he listened to my option of sponsoring my wife on Fiance visa. He came with another solution and i want you guys to guide me on this.
According to him that,if i apply for Fiance visa there is high possibility that, this will be refused. So according to him,it will be easier and more practical if i travel myself to Pakistan and register another Nikkah by going through all the formalities and then reapply for visa.He added that,we will make a proper personal statement and will write everything in detail about Previous nikkah, reason of refusal and why am i applying agin etc etc.
I am confused now,pls advise.
Kind regards

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:02 pm

I always rely on Batleykhan with issues such as this. Will a second Nikkah be possible? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:36 pm

So yesterday i gave a go ahead to my solicitor for Appeal.I spoke with another solicitor as well and he told me not to do second nikkah as this will make situation more worst then its already.He suggested that either i make a fresh application with strong personal statement or appeal.
Lets see what comes up.
will keep you posting.
Regards

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm

In my honest opinion, supported my fellow moderator Batleykhan on these issues on which I respect his opinion, an appeal stands virtually zero chance of success. The Entry Officer was correct in their decision and I still believe that your best option would be to apply for a fiancee visa and marry in the UK. If you meet all the standard conditions there is no reason for a fiance visa to be refused, and ECOs will be familiar with a situation such as yours.
Looking at this cynically, the solicitor who has advised an appeal may have more to gain...or is not fully conversant on the Rules regarding divorce (or the absence of it) and re-marriage. Be prepared for a long and bumpy ride and a very deep pocket if you take the appeal route. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:17 pm

thanks for your advise.I will give it a go,its just a chance i will take.
right now am going through different court cases similar to me, but couldn't find any as far yet.
Do you know any good website where i can access past court cases.
I will really appreciate your help in this.
regards

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 pm

spiderman007 wrote:thanks for your advise.I will give it a go,its just a chance i will take.
right now am going through different court cases similar to me, but couldn't find any as far yet.
Do you know any good website where i can access past court cases.
I will really appreciate your help in this.
regards
Spurious applications will weaken any subsequent strong ones, I say wait for Batleykhan, he's having his Lamborghini serviced.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm not sure what your grounds for appeal will be, as under British law your second marriage is void...i.e is not recognised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ourt_cases
(Casa, not CR001)

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Wanderer,i will see what others advise? as i have submitted the appeal,i still can make a fresh application or apply for Fiance visa.I submitted the appeal so that,i don't run out of time.
Yes you are right CASA i dont have grounds to appeal but i want to argue on this and give it a try.
still confused though. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:33 am

If you are aware that you have no grounds for an appeal (but simply want to argue the point)...what exactly are you confused about? :?

You might want to spend some time wading through the lengthy thread on Pakistan spouse visa appeals. You'll see that some are taking years with no conclusion in sight. But it's your call. :|
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... -1600.html
(Casa, not CR001)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:59 pm

A polygamous marriage will be lawful if the law of the country it was contracted , permits it, and on the day of the application, it can be showed that the previous marriage which would have disqualified has been desolved.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-marriage
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Obie wrote:A polygamous marriage will be lawful if the law of the country it was contracted , permits it, and on the day of the application, it can be showed that the previous marriage which would have disqualified has been resolved.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-marriage
Obie, what exactly do you mean by 'which would have disqualified has been resolved'? :? Do you mean 'dissolved'? The divorce decree absolute from the marriage in the USA hadn't been granted at the time of the second marriage in Pakistan. Are you referring to this passage from your link?
"A polygamous spouse may apply for entry clearance and support the application by claiming that a previous marriage (which would otherwise disqualify him / her) has been dissolved or terminated by the death of the spouse concerned." ?

Also from your link "No person domiciled in any part of the UK has the capacity to enter into a polygamous marriage. Section 11(d) of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 is the authority regarding a party domiciled in England and Wales."
(Casa, not CR001)

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Casa wrote:An appeal stand little chance of success. Your best option would be to apply for a fiance visa and marry your second 'wife' in the UK.
Dear Casa and other respected memebers..
I had this problem with my second wife's visa as it was refused because my second marriage wasn't recognised in British law.I appealed against the decision, and at the same time i followed the advice from Casa and Batley khan and applied for Fiance' visa as well.Today my wife got the fianc'e settlement visa.
I thank to Casa and Khan for their precious advice as they saved me from lengthy appeal process.
Thanks a lot.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Well done and thank you for listening. Pleased it all worked out well for you in the end. :)
(Casa, not CR001)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:56 am

spiderman007 wrote:
Casa wrote:An appeal stand little chance of success. Your best option would be to apply for a fiance visa and marry your second 'wife' in the UK.
Dear Casa and other respected memebers..
I had this problem with my second wife's visa as it was refused because my second marriage wasn't recognised in British law.I appealed against the decision, and at the same time i followed the advice from Casa and Batley khan and applied for Fiance' visa as well.Today my wife got the fianc'e settlement visa.
I thank to Casa and Khan for their precious advice as they saved me from lengthy appeal process.
Thanks a lot.
Don't forget to buy health insurance for her. Her fiance visa does not allow her to use the NHS for free, instead, she must pay each time she uses the NHS. 50% is added if she doesn't have insurance to pay.

Once you are married in the UK, she can apply for her spouse visa and pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. When she gets that visa, she can use the NHS without charge.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... n/overview

Visitor visas and short-term visas

You don’t have to pay the healthcare surcharge if you’re applying from outside the UK for a visitor visa or any visa that lasts 6 months or less.

You don’t need to use the healthcare surcharge service or get an IHS reference number for your visa application. Instead, you’ll have to pay for any healthcare you get through the NHS at the point you use it.

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:07 pm

Petaltop
I paid £600 for health surcharge online,its fiance' settlement visa and is valid for 6 months. Before the expiry of this visa i have to remarry and resubmit FLR(M).
Do you think,she is still unable to access NHS for free?
Regards

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:10 pm

You shouldn't have paid the NHS surcharge for a fiancee visa. This is only paid for a spouse settlement visa (married) or when your fiancee applies for FLR(M) after the wedding in the UK (£500).
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:17 pm

spiderman007 wrote:Petaltop
I paid £600 for health surcharge online,its fiance' settlement visa and is valid for 6 months. Before the expiry of this visa i have to remarry and resubmit FLR(M).
Do you think,she is still unable to access NHS for free?
Regards
What did you select for the visa from the drop down menus??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

spiderman007
Newly Registered

Post by spiderman007 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Reason for Visit SETTLEMENT
Visa Type SETTLEMENT
Visa Sub Type UNMARRIED PARTNER
It automatically took me to the website for health surcharge?
is this right or wrong?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 pm

It's wrong I'm afraid, which is why you were charged the £600 visa fee. You should have chosen fiance for the visa sub type.
(Casa, not CR001)