ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home Office Arrest Warrant

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mahakhanzada
Newly Registered

Home Office Arrest Warrant

Post by Mahakhanzada » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice..sorry if I am posting in wrong section..

I am an international student here in the UK. Yesterday, I was at home when two immigration enforcement officers showed up with an arrest warrant for my friend who had asked me to keep some of his stuff at my place while he was moving houses. They enforcement officers asked me if I knew him to which I replied, yes, he is my friend. They asked if he lived here. I said no he doesnt, he just asked me to keep some of his stuff while he was moving. They asked if he gets correspondence sent here. I said yes sometimes, because he is moving.

The officers were very nice and friendly. They didn't ask me any further questions but checked my wardrobe and bathroom (both of which had some of his stuff). I asked them if he was in trouble as he had told me that his visa was valid until 2019. They said they couldnt discuss his case with me but left their card with me and told me to get him to contact them asap. They asked me for his number which I also gave them. They left the arrest warrant with one of the guys in the building who had let them in. They made a note of my BRP number and jotted some details down in their notebook.

I messaged my friend today to ask him what this is about and he said he has been here illegaly since 2014. I had no idea about this and got very furious and asked him to come and remove his stuff from my place immediately. He has stopped taking my calls and his phone is now off.

I am very worried now. Am I going to be in trouble? Should I contact a solicitor and seek legal advice? Should I also inform my uni that this has happened?

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Home Office Arrest Warrant

Post by KatieWills » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Unless you are here illegally then I can't see that you have anything to worry about-you complied with the immigration officers, answered questions and supplied a phone number, not much else you could have done if you didn't have an address for him.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Mahakhanzada
Newly Registered

Post by Mahakhanzada » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:01 pm

No, I am here legally with a tier 4 visa which expires in 2021. I just got really worried as I have never been in this situation and don't want to get in trouble for harbouring or assisting an illegal immigrant because some imbecile decided to overstay his visa.

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:07 pm

When he asked for your help he wasn't honest about his illegal status so how could you have known?

If it gives you peace of mind, then maybe save any messages/correspondence you have that demonstrates your innocence in this?

You could also try and get a message to him that he has 48 hours to collect his stuff before you take it to a charity shop.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Mahakhanzada
Newly Registered

Post by Mahakhanzada » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm

I usually spoke to him over the phone but to be honest, how many times would you ask someone to show a copy of their visa to you if they said they had it, especially if its one of your friends? I think you're right, I was helpful and gave them (the officers) all the information they asked for and even volunteered information on my own. Will gather his stuff and leave it outside. Thanks for your reply!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Give it to the nice officers for safekeeping and tell him to collect it from them.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Mahakhanzada
Newly Registered

Post by Mahakhanzada » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:36 pm

noajthan wrote:Give it to the nice officers for safekeeping and tell him to collect it from them.

That actually sounds like a very good idea.