ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pension of EU citizens after Brexit

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Manchester171

Pension of EU citizens after Brexit

Post by Manchester171 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:13 am

What will happen to the pension of millions of EU citizens who have been working in the UK for a decade after Brexit? The UK will not send their pension to their countries, in case they decided to go back for any reason.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Re: Pension of EU citizens after Brexit

Post by Noetic » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:21 am

Brits who retire abroad draw their UK pensions there, I don't see he difference?

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:33 am

There is no problem for a British citizen but will be a problem for non-British in the future. As pension is paid at the moment to EU citizen, because the UK is part of EU umbrella. Once the UK will leave EU, no guarantee to continue paying pension to different citizens of different countries they may be not even alive.

WalSag
Newly Registered

Post by WalSag » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:53 pm

If you worked in several different european countries during your career, it's going to have an impact on how your state pension is calculated and where it's paid from.
This is what the current rules are:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm
It's going to be one of the things the Brexit team will have to renegotiate with the EU. I would be surprised if the new terms will be as generous as the current ones.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Manchester171 wrote:There is no problem for a British citizen but will be a problem for non-British in the future. As pension is paid at the moment to EU citizen, because the UK is part of EU umbrella.
Is that statement correct? Or have I misunderstood what you meant to say? I haven't done much research or reading around pensions and associated regulations but am interested in understanding the reason for what you've referred to here.

Their are non EU/British citizens who have worked in the UK in the past and are now retired overseas and receiving the pension they are now eligible to receive based on their past working life in the UK. Here I'm referring to a non EU/British citizen receiving a state NHS pension while now in retirement overseas.

dandodex
Spain

Post by dandodex » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 am

Right now, for example, it works like this under EU:

- 5 years in Spain.
- 20 years in France.
- 5 years in UK.
- 10 years in Germany.

After retirement each country would pay me:
- Spain: 12.5% of Spanish pension if I had worked 40 years in Spain.
- France: 50% of French pension if I had worked 40 years in France.
- UK: 12.5% of British pension if I had worked 40 years in the UK.
- Germany: 25% of French pension if I had worked 40 years in Germany.
So 100% of pension for 40 years contributed.

But if the UK and Spain leave the EU (as an example):
- Spain: Nothing as you need 10 working years.
- France: 50% of French pension if I had worked 30 years in France.
- UK: Nothing as you need 10 working years.
- Germany: 25% of French pension if I had worked 30 years in Germany.
75% of pension for 30 years contributed.

cs95tdg wrote:
Manchester171 wrote:There is no problem for a British citizen but will be a problem for non-British in the future. As pension is paid at the moment to EU citizen, because the UK is part of EU umbrella.
Is that statement correct? Or have I misunderstood what you meant to say? I haven't done much research or reading around pensions and associated regulations but am interested in understanding the reason for what you've referred to here.

Their are non EU/British citizens who have worked in the UK in the past and are now retired overseas and receiving the pension they are now eligible to receive based on their past working life in the UK. Here I'm referring to a non EU/British citizen receiving a state NHS pension while now in retirement overseas.

dandodex
Spain

Post by dandodex » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Great EU page with examples worked out:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:16 pm

cs95tdg wrote:

There are non-EU/British citizens who have worked in the UK in the past and are now retired overseas and receiving the pension they are now eligible to receive based on their past working life in the UK. Here I'm referring to a non-EU/British citizen receiving a state NHS pension while now in retirement overseas.
You are right, but these non-EU/British citizens must have worked minimum 10 years in the UK and citizen of one of the countries that have a pension agreement with the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... te-pension

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Manchester171 wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:

There are non-EU/British citizens who have worked in the UK in the past and are now retired overseas and receiving the pension they are now eligible to receive based on their past working life in the UK. Here I'm referring to a non-EU/British citizen receiving a state NHS pension while now in retirement overseas.
You are right, but these non-EU/British citizens must have worked minimum 10 years in the UK and citizen of one of the countries that have a pension agreement with the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... te-pension
Thanks for sharing that. The link you have shared I believe is referring to payment of annual increases in the state pension amount. It does appear to state that it is paid worldwide, but that increases are only paid in the specific instances outlined there. I didn't realise there was a minimum 10 years required to qualify, I'll need to read up around that & find out whether that applied at the time.
dandodex wrote:Right now, for example, it works like this under EU:

- 5 years in Spain.
- 20 years in France.
- 5 years in UK.
- 10 years in Germany.

After retirement each country would pay me:
- Spain: 12.5% of Spanish pension if I had worked 40 years in Spain.
- France: 50% of French pension if I had worked 40 years in France.
- UK: 12.5% of British pension if I had worked 40 years in the UK.
- Germany: 25% of French pension if I had worked 40 years in Germany.
So 100% of pension for 40 years contributed.

But if the UK and Spain leave the EU (as an example):
- Spain: Nothing as you need 10 working years.
- France: 50% of French pension if I had worked 30 years in France.
- UK: Nothing as you need 10 working years.
- Germany: 25% of French pension if I had worked 30 years in Germany.
75% of pension for 30 years contributed.
Thanks for the examples, EU pension payment rules appear to be quite diverse. Will have a read through the link shared.

SarahM1972
Newly Registered

Post by SarahM1972 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:05 am

I'm very interested in the matters above, if anyone finds out! :)

John Green

Post by John Green » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:27 pm

The problem of UK state pensions being frozen in value if you go to a number of other countries outside the EU has been a standing complaint of those from the UK who have retired to places like Canada, Australia and New Zealand. There is even a website devoted to their cause to extend the EU type regime, in which rises in the UK state pension are automatically passed along if the recipient lives abroad. But so far, they have had no success.

My own guess is that after Brexit, those retiring in Europe will also face a "frozen pension" regime in which the annual rises in the UK pension do not apply. So they receive the pension value at the point they decide to live abroad "permanently," and that amount remains in place in perpetuity. This residence test means, I believe, anything over 3 months a year.

After all, the EU will ask why the existing arrangements should continue if the UK wants to leave the EU club.

In the case of NHS pensions, I know that these are paid and uprated in any country lived in. Or at least the NHS pension I receive is. If in doubt, ring them up.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 pm

dandodex wrote:
I suppose their UK S1 will end too? If they retire to another EEA country but receive a UK state pension, then the UK will pay all their health bills in that country under the S1.
S1 = that EEA country send all that persons health bills to the UK for the UK to pay.

Didn't the papers also report that Polish citizens were using their UK EHIC to get the UK to pay their health bills in Poland?

britishcitizenship
Newly Registered

Post by britishcitizenship » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:37 pm

I think there should not be a problem for people who have worked in the UK to get a pension for the years worked in the United Kingdom. Historically, there have been many cases of people working in other countries and being able to claim a pension for the amount worked outside their country. Also, there will be many negotiations before Britain leave the EU.