ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax information

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Majid12
Newly Registered

Council tax information

Post by Majid12 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 am

Hi there

I am living in my friend house and I am sharing his room with him. He have registered with council tax and have tenancy agreement with landlord and he have paid all council tax. Please advise me it will effect on my BC application or I will need to include my name in council tax.
Thanks

Member of Standing

Re: Council tax information

Post by member » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:54 am

Does the landlord have the knowledge of your occupation in the property?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:59 am

No, you don't have to council tax on your name to qualify for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:59 am

member wrote:Does the landlord have the knowledge of your occupation in the property?
How is this relevant to the OPs question?? This question has nothing to do with a citizenship application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Majid12
Newly Registered

Post by Majid12 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:04 am

member wrote:Does the landlord have the knowledge of your occupation in the property?
Thanks for reply. The landlord have given the lease agreement to my friends name and I am just Sharing the room. All I know, council tax is on my friend name and he pay regularly every month. Thx

Majid12
Newly Registered

Post by Majid12 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:06 am

CR001 wrote:
How is this relevant to the OPs question?? This question has nothing to do with a citizenship application.
Thanks cr001
You mean as long as my friend is paying CT then I don't need to worry and don't put my name in CT.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:10 am

Majid12 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
I am sorry. It's my mistake. It is relevant for naturalization application. Thx
My question was directed at user 'member'. It is irrelevant to your citizenship application. User member is just being nosey.

For your information, if you/friend are living in a houseshare, it is the landlords responsibility to pay council tax. Your 'friend' has to pay it if he is the sole occupier of the entire house/flat, ie. not just a room.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Majid12
Newly Registered

Post by Majid12 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks cr001 for reply. Basically my friend has taken complete flat and he is paying council tax regularly every month. The landlord have make lease of my friend name and I am just Sharing his room. My naturalization application is soon that's why I have asked this question.
Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:30 am

You not being named on the council tax is not issue for your citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Member of Standing

Post by member » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:31 am

CR001 wrote:User member is just being nosey.
I am so sorry that my question made you thought I was just being nosey.

I am obviously not very knowledgeable about citizenship application as you are.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:17 am

Majid12 wrote:Basically my friend has taken complete flat and he is paying council tax regularly every month. The landlord have make lease of my friend name and I am just Sharing his room.
Is your friend claiming 25% discount on the Council Tax, for being the sole occupant? This he must not do if there are two of you living at the property and your name should have been given to the council tax office.

Majid12
Newly Registered

Post by Majid12 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Petaltop wrote:
Majid12 wrote:Basically my friend has taken complete flat and he is paying council tax regularly every month. The landlord have make lease of my friend name and I am just Sharing his room.
Is your friend claiming 25% discount on the Council Tax, for being the sole occupant? This he must not do if there are two of you living at the property and your name should have been given to the council tax office.
Thx petaltop for reply. in above post croo1 clearly mentioned there is no name requirement of council tax for naturalization application.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Majid12 wrote:
Petaltop wrote:
Thx petaltop for reply. in above post croo1 clearly mentioned there is no name requirement of council tax for naturalization application.
Petaltop has a point, the onus is on you to ensure your CT is paid, don't just assume the landlord is paying it, ask for proof and that he's not claiming the 25% single adult occupancy relief for which he is not now entitled.

It could effect you if the HO decide to dig or if a summons arrives before/during your application.

Always better to be sure with these, CT arrears are one of the few debts you can be imprisoned for.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Wanderer wrote:Petaltop has a point, the onus is on you to ensure your CT is paid, don't just assume the landlord is paying it, ask for proof and that he's not claiming the 25% single adult occupancy relief for which he is not now entitled.

It could effect you if the HO decide to dig or if a summons arrives before/during your application.

Always better to be sure with these, CT arrears are one of the few debts you can be imprisoned for.
OP is living with a friend. The friend is named on the council tax as friends is tenant for whole property. Agree about checking regarding the 25% single person discount which would not be applicable in this case.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:49 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Petaltop has a point, the onus is on you to ensure your CT is paid, don't just assume the landlord is paying it, ask for proof and that he's not claiming the 25% single adult occupancy relief for which he is not now entitled.

OP is living with a friend. The friend is named on the council tax as friends is tenant for whole property. Agree about checking regarding the 25% single person discount which would not be applicable in this case.
Don't you have to tell the council who is living there too? Irrepsective of who pays? Going through this at the moment, moving to temp. house and then to new build.....

Not sure where the responsibilty lies so that's why I suggested the OP makes doubly sure.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:57 pm

I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

Majid12
Newly Registered

Post by Majid12 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Wanderer wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Don't you have to tell the council who is living there too? Irrepsective of who pays? Going through this at the moment, moving to temp. house and then to new build.....

Not sure where the responsibilty lies so that's why I suggested the OP makes doubly sure.
Hi wanderer thanks for ur reply. I m still confused.
All I know , my friend have name in lease and he paid council tax regularly at the end of month. I am sharing his room and my rent include everything.
Plz advise me shall I personally go to council office and add my name in council tax bill. Your reply will solve my query. Thx

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:55 pm

No!! You do not have to add your name to the council tax.

Not having your name on the Council Tax WILL NOT affect your application.

You should check that your friend is not claiming single person Council Tax though as he is not entitled to it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:55 pm

I think it's enough to ensure the landlord has you listed as an occupant and therefore not claiming the 25% single person discount. You don't need to go on the bill if he's paying it, so long as the council know there are two occupants.