ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name on Biometric wrong

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DAC000

Name on Biometric wrong

Post by DAC000 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Guys

The Home Office dropped my middle name when they issued by biometrics letter. No real good reason for it that I can see, I had typed my AN Form, rather than handwrite it. Section 1.6 clearly has two names not one.

Refused at Post Office, woman said it was the second she'd seen today. Don't know why this would happen, I used NCS and the form was clearly typed. I distinctly remember the guy at NCS carefully examining my passport and checking the application.

Is

NationalityBiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

the only way to inform them of their error? I'm a little concerned since they sent letter second class, dated 15th of July and it just arrived today, 28th of July. Well within their 15 working day limit but what is the protocol here? I realise my application can be rejected if I don't get them the information according to their service times.

Is there any other way to inform them? Do they even reply to emails to sent to that address?

I'll send an email now but would also like to write -- can anyone advise to what address?

DAC000

Re: Name on Biometric wrong

Post by DAC000 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:41 am

Ok, just in case this can help anyone else here is what I did.

On Tuesday when the error was noted, I sent an email, subject my Home Office Case Reference Number, to nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

I sent along a picture of the letter, with the Post Office’s written refusal to process, which noted the reason. I also told them I’d processed via NCS who confirmed my passport against the Form AN.

No response, no automated reply, nothing.

So Thursday I sent a letter, Royal Mail next day recorded delivery, to

UK Visas and Immigration
The Capital Building
Liverpool
L3 9PP

Again noting my case number and detailing the problem as in the email. I also provided a copy of my letter, with the Post Office’s refusal.

I also sent another email to AppointmentExceptions@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, who *DID* reply in about one hour, saying they didn’t deal with this but would forward to the appropriate team.

I’ll post here follows if and when. Given the dates seen last time — letter dated 15 of July, received 28th of July — I should get a response by August 17th or so.

I’m hoping that other aspects of my application can be processed serially — confirmation of visa, employment, etc. In other words, that this won’t slow my application down for, essentially one month for an error that wasn’t cased by myself.

Debbie71
Newly Registered

Post by Debbie71 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi,

Please please please can somebody help me? I have applied for my british passport a few weeks ago. I've done all the tests etc. I received 2 letters from the embassy. One was my biometric letter and the other was my acknowledgement letter that to say that they had received my documents. My acknowledgement letter was in my correct name but my biometric letter was incorrect. I wrote 6 emails and did not get a reply. I did not want to lose my money so today I went to get my biometrics done. I think I know what the problem is, as my passport is in my married name but after my divorce I went back to my maiden name. What can I do??? I do not want my british passport to be in my married name. Please can somebody help me.
Thank you for your help

Debbie

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi

Email sent to

AppointmentExceptions@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

does get a reply, although they say they don't deal with these errors but will forward along.

I also sent a letter, Royal Mail Recorded, detailing their error and the Post Office's refusal to process.

About all that can be done in this situation, it would seem. Although they do seem to make these mistakes often.

Debbie71
Newly Registered

Post by Debbie71 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi,

I got my biometric done in the incorrect name because I've emailed them 8 times now. I don't know what else to do. I'm not prepared to lose that kind of money. I'll have to try call them tomorrow but it's so hard when you are paying them a huge amount of money and they can't even get your name right. It's discussing.

DAC000

Escalation to MP

Post by DAC000 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:09 am

Yes, I applied via NCS for Naturalisation on July 7th, received acknowledgment letter on time, unfortunately biometrics letter arrived with my middle name omitted. Post Office refused to process.

So I immediately emailed

nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

however they never acknowledged, not even an auto-response to my email.

Two days later I again emailed nationality, but this time copied in

who did reply, saying they’d forward my concerns to the correct department. I also sent a letter, Royal Mail Recorded to the Home Office (same address as their correspondence). Another £6.45 spent however no response to date.

So yesterday I called and discussed with my MP’s office. I didn’t have to provide full details, “very very common” was her representative’s response after what sounded like a sigh. Today I’m sending - again - another letter to the Home Office as well as my MP, so some £13.90 this time, detailing their error and asking for another letter. My MP will take this forward on my behalf.

Bottom line: I would advise anyone dealing with similar problems - sloppy, nonsensical errors in paperwork, issues you haven’t caused - to immediately involve your MP. Unfortunately it seems like the only way to get their attention, and to illustrate there seems to be a problem there.

My AN form was very carefully typed and confirmed via NCS. Why would they omit one of my three names? When its on my passport and my AN form? Careless in my view. If they rejected my application for a valid reason that would be one thing, but to lose my application fee and have to repeat this process over, for what effectively is a gamble they will get it right this time is something completely different.

Involve your MP early. Its been over one month for me now and I'm still waiting for a correct biometrics letter.

KPW
Newly Registered

Post by KPW » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi DAC000,

have you heard anything back yet after getting your MP involved?
I also have my biometrics invitation letter details wrong, it is still in my maiden name, I have applied for the NTL to change my maiden to my married surname and they sent the invitation for biometrics enrollment still under my maiden name!

In the letter there is a number to contact but it doesnt get me anywhere, all i get is an automated teller asking me to look it up on the web page again!

Not sure what to do.
DAC000 wrote:Yes, I applied via NCS for Naturalisation on July 7th, received acknowledgment letter on time, unfortunately biometrics letter arrived with my middle name omitted. Post Office refused to process.

So I immediately emailed

nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

however they never acknowledged, not even an auto-response to my email.

Two days later I again emailed nationality, but this time copied in

who did reply, saying they’d forward my concerns to the correct department. I also sent a letter, Royal Mail Recorded to the Home Office (same address as their correspondence). Another £6.45 spent however no response to date.

So yesterday I called and discussed with my MP’s office. I didn’t have to provide full details, “very very common” was her representative’s response after what sounded like a sigh. Today I’m sending - again - another letter to the Home Office as well as my MP, so some £13.90 this time, detailing their error and asking for another letter. My MP will take this forward on my behalf.

Bottom line: I would advise anyone dealing with similar problems - sloppy, nonsensical errors in paperwork, issues you haven’t caused - to immediately involve your MP. Unfortunately it seems like the only way to get their attention, and to illustrate there seems to be a problem there.

My AN form was very carefully typed and confirmed via NCS. Why would they omit one of my three names? When its on my passport and my AN form? Careless in my view. If they rejected my application for a valid reason that would be one thing, but to lose my application fee and have to repeat this process over, for what effectively is a gamble they will get it right this time is something completely different.

Involve your MP early. Its been over one month for me now and I'm still waiting for a correct biometrics letter.

Ajenta83

Re: Escalation to MP

Post by Ajenta83 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:58 pm

DAC000 wrote: My AN form was very carefully typed and confirmed via NCS. Why would they omit one of my three names? When its on my passport and my AN form? Careless in my view. If they rejected my application for a valid reason that would be one thing, but to lose my application fee and have to repeat this process over, for what effectively is a gamble they will get it right this time is something completely different.

Errr; how frustrating! Surely you won't go down the road to lose your application fee. Some overworked caseworker has not done something correctly!
It's all bureaucracy these days. Very frustrating not be able to contact a department.
You would have thought and typed and checked by NCS should be straight forward!

Good luck!

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:23 am

KPW wrote:Hi DAC000,

have you heard anything back yet after getting your MP involved?
I also have my biometrics invitation letter details wrong, it is still in my maiden name, I have applied for the NTL to change my maiden to my married surname and they sent the invitation for biometrics enrollment still under my maiden name!

In the letter there is a number to contact but it doesnt get me anywhere, all i get is an automated teller asking me to look it up on the web page again!

Not sure what to do.
Yes. I received a very perplexing letter from The Home Office insisting their records didn't include my middle name. They asked that I complete biometrics without my middle name, and that they "might contact me later for more information".

Perplexing, since I've got my original visa letter from 1997, extension in 2001 and IDL in 2002 and all three letters - from the Home Office, mind you - clearly specify my middle name.

So biometrics complete. I'm sending copies of all three letter to the Home Office. Not sure why their records would be different.

Did MP help? Well, Home Office communicated with me after I got her involved. She wrote a letter and it clearly got someone's attention.

May not hurt in your case.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:39 am

DAC000,
You had initially posted that you were refused at the post office. This time around, were you allowed because you showed the letter from the Home Office stating that you should enroll biometrics on the basis of the previous letter (without middle name)?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:10 pm

sushdmehta wrote:DAC000,
You had initially posted that you were refused at the post office. This time around, were you allowed because you showed the letter from the Home Office stating that you should enroll biometrics on the basis of the previous letter (without middle name)?
Yes, the two letters were different. The guy at Royal Mail read the second letter and just proceeded. It explained my middle name was missing in their records, and that I should enrol with just first and last names.

The first time at Royal Mail the gal read the letter, asked to see ID and when she saw the discrepancy (middle name not on letter but on my US passport) she refused to process. I wasn't fussed but couldn't budge her

So I asked her to write down the reason for refusal, which she did and signed. She'd already stamped the letter with Post Office branch name, date & time. I copied that and sent it to Home Office as well as my MP.

sylionheart
Newly Registered

Post by sylionheart » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi,

I applied for my 2 kids recently.

We received an invitation for biometrics. But my son had wrong date of birth of his letter.

I called the helpline who advised to email nationality biometrics.
I emailed them several times for past 4 weeks. However, I received no reply from them. Any advice?

Thanks

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:18 am

sylionheart wrote:Hi,

I applied for my 2 kids recently.

We received an invitation for biometrics. But my son had wrong date of birth of his letter.

I called the helpline who advised to email nationality biometrics.
I emailed them several times for past 4 weeks. However, I received no reply from them. Any advice?

Thanks

I emailed twice but never got a reply. So a day after I sent the second email I wrote a letter and sent it Royal Mail Recorded, copying my MP. They did reply to that so I'd suggest avoiding email and writing letters.

sylionheart
Newly Registered

Post by sylionheart » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:22 am

I wrote to nationality biometrics and contacted my MP as well.

I contacted citizenship helpline again. They said they are different department. They also said I should only contact them by email, not write to them because biometrics team will not respond and just wait.

It is now 5 weeks and emailed biometrics several time.

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 pm

sylionheart wrote:I wrote to nationality biometrics and contacted my MP as well.

I contacted citizenship helpline again. They said they are different department. They also said I should only contact them by email, not write to them because biometrics team will not respond and just wait.

It is now 5 weeks and emailed biometrics several time.
I've sent two letters now Royal Mail Recorded, and copied my MP on each. They have replied to every letter, one in only five working days. Email is easily missed; a letter sent Royal Mail Recorded copying your MP gets their full attention. Further, one letter elicited a personal reply from my MP to me, and included a copy of a letter sent on my behalf inquiring about the problem I raised.

Costs more than an email but gets a response.

sylionheart
Newly Registered

Post by sylionheart » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:26 pm

UPDATE:

I wrote a letter to nationality biometrics about the incorrect date of birth. I sent as a recorded letter by royal mail.
I copied my MP who said that she will chase home office for me.

Yesterday I received a new letter stating that I failed to comply with first letter instruction to provide my son's biometrics. I now have 10 working days (ends on 18.09.2015) to provide my son's biometrics. However, the letter still has the incorrect date of birth.

I contacted the citizenship helpline today. The advisor told me to send further email to nationality biometrics team.

It appears to me that they do not read neither my emails nor letter. I am worried that the next letter will be a refusal decision due to the failure to provide the biometrics. Then it will take ages to go for reconsideration and appeal.

Any advice ?

DAC000, did you address your letters to case worker or nationality biometrics?

Thanks for help

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:55 am

sylionheart wrote:UPDATE:

DAC000, did you address your letters to case worker or nationality biometrics?

I wrote 'To Whom It May Concern', never a specific case worker.

What I would do in your case is copy all correspondence you've received (both letters with the wrong date) and write a cover letter that clearly outlines dates you've received the incorrect letters and mistakes made. Again, copy your MP and send Royal Mail Recorded.

I'd also call your MP and discuss verbally -- this will escalate it with your elected representative.

I never received a response to emails but letters are replied to. And at least this way you'll have a record to fall back on should another error cause your application to be rejected.

Frustrating, I know, but you'll have to keep at it !!

MariannaUK
Newly Registered

Post by MariannaUK » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi guys - do you have an update on this situation? Did you get it sorted out?

I'm facing the same problem - got a biometrics enrolment letter on October 3rd with my a misspelling in my last surname. I've been emailing them since then but no answer at all. Post Office refused to process biometrics. Called the helpline at the Home Office but a very rude person told me there's nothing I can do, just wait for a response - no deadline.

What do you recommend me to do from now?

I'm super concerned as I need my COA to work and I fear I can miss the 15-day deadline for the biometrics enrolment and get me application refused.

Thanks a lot

sherife
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by sherife » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi Marianna.. We're in the same situation, the helpline told us there's nothing to do, just wait as well..

Did you get a reply?

Thanks

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi

Home Office sent correct biometrics letter, but only after I sent (as said before) Royal Mail Recorded. I wouldn't waste time emailing or calling; to be fair, emails can bounce / not be received and messages may not be passed on.

Be polite, explain the situation, mention you've called / emailed (with specific dates --- just don't say you tried several emails, etc) and be sure to include your reference number.

Royal Mail Recorded. They will get back to you. I suspect because so many people email so often (just read this forum) its not reliable. Same for calling. Write a letter and it will get sorted.

sherife
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by sherife » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks for sharing.

I called the helpline again yesterday as the 15 day deadline is about to run out, the person I spoke to was really helpful and after putting me on hold to check with someone else she adviced us (as the name is missing one of my wife's middle names, and there's no spelling mistakes) to submit the biometric info with the letter we have and to change the name after the card is issued, as it is much easier to do so instead of emails and phone calls at this stage.

I'll post any updates I have.

aleekhan123
Newly Registered

Post by aleekhan123 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi,

I wanted to share my very recent experience as it may benefit members.

I applied for my naturalization along with wife and son. We received 3 separate envelopes for each one of us. Each envelope consisted of two separate letters; the first one detailed the enrollment process and the second part is a one page letter with the details of the applicant and the barcode to be used for enrollment purposes at the post office.

Everything was good for wife and myself however barcode section of my son's letter was for someone completely different. Different name, address, age, date of birth etc.

This lead to serious concern as this was the last thing i was expecting during the application. Anyhow as usual i tried searching the forums and couldn't get much help so this is what i did:

1: Rang the home office UKVI helpline and explained the situation. They said you have to email the details to nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. I did that straightaway.

2: Next day; I sent the same email to AppointmentExceptions@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and they replied in a couple of days saying that they have forwarded the details to the relevant team.

3: Following day I sent a recorded signed for letter to UKVI liverpool requesting them to look into this matter.

Today I have received an email from nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk saying that they received the email and have sent me a new letter for my son. This is Day 5 from the day i sent them the first email.

I believe; if you follow the above protocol; you should be able to get the letter within a week.

Thanks,

Ali

slothsy
Newly Registered

Post by slothsy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:48 pm

I thought I'll share my experience here too. The home office has got my name in the wrong order since my passport does list my family name then my first name. I got their letter on the 7th of Oct and emailed them on the 10th. I got a reply on the 15th of Oct to say that they have a record with my name in the wrong order from the previous application (I had a post study work visa back in 2008) and they will notify the case worker about the change of details. They have put a new letter in the post for the biometric enrolment. It seems like they do take time to check the reason for getting the wrong details which is good.

It was a bit nerve wrecking waiting for them so I went to the post office to check if there's anything I can do. The post office person was really helpful. She checked my details using the barcode and it confirmed that they have my name in the wrong order. She suggested that I email them daily until I receive an acknowledgement, which I didn't have to do.

paru.org
India

Post by paru.org » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:09 am

does anyone knows do ho sent 2nd biometric reminder letter, i couldnot provide my biometric in 1st biometric letter, and 15 days to provide biometric are gone too..???thx

nextinline
Newly Registered

Post by nextinline » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:34 pm

I am in a similar situation. I applied for my daughter's registration on 6th of Oct . They sent a letter for bio metrics but got the date of birth wrong.I emailed them at NationalityBiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk on 18th but there is no response yet.

Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers,
J