ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to the UK after Brexit!

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

toto italy
Newly Registered

Moving to the UK after Brexit!

Post by toto italy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:21 pm

Hello all,

I am thinking of moving to the uk in Sept after the breixt vote. Is there any advice anyone can give me about what to do. I am an Europe citizen (Italian). I visited the home office website and contacted the British consulate in Rome and I was told there's no problem in moving to the Uk for work! Is it advisable to relocate to the uk after breixt? Advices needed please!

secret.simon

Re: Moving to the uk after breixt!

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:42 pm

While the UK is in the EU, you have the legal right to come and work (or otherwise exercise treaty rights) in the UK.

But do not assume that you can settle in the UK. The requirements for EU citizens to get the right to stay in the UK in the long term are unknown at the present point in time and they will only get clarified in a few years time.

So, be prepared that living and working in the UK may not give you the right to settle down in the UK.

You can use your stay to to gain work experience in an Anglo-American economic context, learn/improve English and use your time to try to understand why the English like watery tea and not proper espresso and have such tasteless food. But prepare for the worst.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Apply for a registration certificate before Christmas. It could be useful if the UK leaves the EEA. Use your Italian ID card, not your passport, to apply.

toto italy
Newly Registered

Post by toto italy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks secret Simon and Richard! I have a masters degree from the university of Manchester and St. Andrews uni. in Scotland. What's the proceeds to apply for a residence card and how long must you live in the uk to apply to have one? Thanks!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:22 pm

toto italy wrote:Thanks secret Simon and Richard! I have a masters degree from the university of Manchester and St. Andrews uni. in Scotland. What's the proceeds to apply for a residence card and how long must you live in the uk to apply to have one? Thanks!
Form from Gov UK website (EEA QP);
start exercising treaty rights, collate evidence and then apply.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 pm

toto italy wrote:Thanks secret Simon and Richard! I have a masters degree from the university of Manchester and St. Andrews uni. in Scotland. What's the proceeds to apply for a residence card and how long must you live in the uk to apply to have one? Thanks!
How long were you in the UK in total while studying and did you have an EHIC card from Italy or other comprehensive health insurance for this time? You may already have acquired permanent residence status if you were here 5 continuous years with insurance cover.

Otherwise as others said, find a job, move here and apply for a reregistration card as soon as you have the documents needed to prove you are resident here and exercising treaty rights.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:27 am

Good to see you back, Noetic.
Noetic wrote:You may already have acquired permanent residence status if you were here 5 continuous years with insurance cover.
Also assuming that you have not been out of the UK for more than two continuous years. If that is the case, of course, PR, were it acquired in the first place, would be lost.

If and when you move to the UK, apply for EEA(QP) when you start working or otherwise become a qualified person. That may come in handy if transitional arrangements make provision for holders of such documents.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

SarahM1972
Newly Registered

Post by SarahM1972 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:01 am

toto italy wrote:Hello all,

I am thinking of moving to the uk in Sept after the breixt vote. Is there any advice anyone can give me about what to do. I am an Europe citizen (Italian). I visited the home office website and contacted the British consulate in Rome and I was told there's no problem in moving to the Uk for work! Is it advisable to relocate to the uk after breixt? Advices needed please!
If you already have a job offer, it might be worth it. If you just want to make an experience abroad it might be worth it.
However, if Brexit happens before you can reach Permanent Residence status you might be asked to leave.
I'm Italian, been here for 7 years and not sure I will be allowed to stay anyway.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:10 am

toto italy wrote:Hello all,

Free movement is all about movement and change.
Go for it.
(And a chance to get away from those long, hot summers).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Re: Moving to the UK after Brexit!

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:06 am

noajthan wrote:And a chance to get away from those long, hot summers
Exchange your long, hot Italian summers for some long grey and very damp British ones :)

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:15 pm

I am sure there are so many Brits who would like to obtain the Italian citizenship and enjoy the sun, sea and tasty food in Italy. May be to live permanently over there. Unfortunately, nobody is satisfied with his life. I think life in Scotland is better than England and less stressful based on my experience. I enjoyed my short stay in Edinburgh. A big community of Spanish and Italian nationals are living there. Adding the welcome attitude of Scottish people toward foreigners.

SarahM1972
Newly Registered

Post by SarahM1972 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:46 am

Manchester171 wrote:I am sure there are so many Brits who would like to obtain the Italian citizenship and enjoy the sun, sea and tasty food in Italy. May be to live permanently over there.
Not really... I've tried to convince my husband to get the Italian citizenship for a while now and he doesn't like that idea one tiny bit!! Good grief, as an Italian the idea to live permanently in Italy is similar to jail for me!! I can tell you that unless you've a boatload of money, living in the most overtaxed country in the western world is no good at all ;)

toto italy
Newly Registered

Post by toto italy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:19 pm

I totally agree with Sarah, this is the sole reason I want to relocate! The taxes are killing me here and so much corruption going on with the political class!

Manchester171

Post by Manchester171 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:44 am

toto italy wrote:I totally agree with Sarah, this is the sole reason I want to relocate! The taxes are killing me here and so much corruption going on with the political class!
What about the cost of life in the UK and Italy comparing to the income?