ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS Medical benefits for HSMP candidates

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

cdraina

NHS Medical benefits for HSMP candidates

Post by cdraina » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 am

Hi Friends,

My specific questions are:

1. Does an HSMP candidate have to pay for NHS/GP medical facilities?

2. If No, then do the dependents also get the same benefits?

3. If the candidate has to pay what are the average GP/Hospital charges?

I think there is a lot more to it other than the above three questions.

This is a request to all the experienced members of the board to share their experience with medical facilities (registering with/services from GP etc.) and with NHS while on HSMP.

Please do mention the costs involved and the rules/laws that you are aware of in this context

Thanks,
CD

jaggu_maggu
Newly Registered

Post by jaggu_maggu » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:34 am

Simple Answer: NHS is free for you and your dependents.

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Aside from the the GP, you need to register with a densist.

Dental appointments for adults has a admin fee while the kids are free.

jaggu_maggu wrote:Simple Answer: NHS is free for you and your dependents.

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Hiya,

While registering with a GP and Dentist (accepting NHS patients) is free, you will still have to pay for the medicines unless you or your dependants falls into one of the (non-paying) categories (see the reverse of the green prescription slip for a list of these categories). E.g., children below 16 need not pay for prescription medicines and neither do Pregnant ladies, who also get free Dental treatment upto 12 months post delivery.

The fee for medicines is £6.95, I believe - its been a while, so please check it out. This does not include OTC medicines - you need to pay for those separately.

Some dentists accept NHS patients and it is advisable to register with them... just search you area for a suitable dentist. Registering with such Dentists is normally free (mine has been free for the 5th year running and at various places in the UK), but you need to pay for any treatment, like Extraction, etc. etc.

Cheers.

vc

Post by vc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Hiya, Not all NHS services are free unless you are employed - pls see the link below '-

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidan ... /DH_074381

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:41 pm

Some employers here provide medical and dental plans as part of their benefits packages.

Mine gives free employee medical, with an optional plan for dental and eye check-ups. The monthly fee on the optional dental/eye plan for the employee for preventative maintenance services is very reasonable (£10 per month).

And then the NHS is there merely as a back-up measure.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture