ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from tier 4 to Tier 2 without completing degree

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

atif imtiaz
Newly Registered

Switching from tier 4 to Tier 2 without completing degree

Post by atif imtiaz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:43 am

Hi, I came here on student visa to get masters degree in computer science. i have done half of my degree and i am getting job offer from a company who is ready to sponsor me. if i leave my degree now i will get post Graduate diploma (PG dip) in computer science(120 credits). Will i be able to apply for Tier 2 visa? Does PG dip is acceptable qualification for tire 2 visa?

Casa

Re: Switching from tier 4 to Tier 2 without completing degre

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:12 am

Switch from a Tier 4 or other student visa
You must have one of these qualifications from your student visa if you want to switch from a Tier 4 to a Tier 2 (General) visa:
a UK bachelors degree
a UK masters degree
a postgraduate certificate in education
a professional graduate diploma of education

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/switch-to-this-visa

I suggest you also read the Tier-2 guidance thoroughly.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_2016.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

atif imtiaz
Newly Registered

Post by atif imtiaz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Many thanx...but i am confused in the following

when you say "education" , are you considering education as a particular field itself or you mean postgraduate certificate in any field e.g engineering, business etc ?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm not the one saying it...I've given you the link to what the UKVI are saying. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:22 pm

atif imtiaz wrote:Many thanx...but i am confused in the following

when you say "education" , are you considering education as a particular field itself or you mean postgraduate certificate in any field e.g engineering, business etc ?
PGCEs are a specific academic qualification in the field of education.

asp

Post by asp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 pm

It is very clear in para102 that it is a reference to PGCE or PGDE only.

Para 106 is clear that your PGD in Computer Science will not get you the 30 points you need. From your post I assume that you did not do your bachelor's degree in the UK, so to switch into T2G you have to complete your Master's.

atif imtiaz
Newly Registered

Post by atif imtiaz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:01 am

Many thanks. Highly appreciated

mad514
Newly Registered

Post by mad514 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi atif imtiaz

I am currently facing the same problem that you had before. I recently got a job offer with sponsorship and I have not finished my Master's Degree, I am currently on a placement and finished all me semesters and only left with Dissertation that needs to be done. Now If I withdraw my course I am able to get a Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science and to apply a tier 2 visa It says we must have either a Master's degree in UK or Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Diploma in Education. I am so confused what to do now, could you please help me if you know anything about it. What have you done with your job offer, did you applied a tier 2 or continued your MSc ?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 pm

mad514 wrote:Hi atif imtiaz

I am currently facing the same problem that you had before. I recently got a job offer with sponsorship and I have not finished my Master's Degree, I am currently on a placement and finished all me semesters and only left with Dissertation that needs to be done. Now If I withdraw my course I am able to get a Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science and to apply a tier 2 visa It says we must have either a Master's degree in UK or Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Diploma in Education. I am so confused what to do now, could you please help me if you know anything about it. What have you done with your job offer, did you applied a tier 2 or continued your MSc ?
You have to finish the Masters in order to be exempt from the RLMT.