ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP New Rules

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

FHA
Newly Registered

HSMP New Rules

Post by FHA » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi folks
Does any one know that the rules for qualifying HSMP will be changing from this year i believe March.is this true?

LondonBlonde

Re: HSMP New Rules

Post by LondonBlonde » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:07 pm

FHA wrote:Hi folks
Does any one know that the rules for qualifying HSMP will be changing from this year i believe March.is this true?
Ya, no one knows for sure what the new requirements will be. Everyone is hoping that conditions for tier 1 will be the same as current HSMP criterea. However recent news on this has been a bit discouraging.

Tier 3 has already been closed to extensions. This is quite bad for Work Permit holders. They may not be able to extend under the new points system. IE - could very well be sent home after years of service to UK companies.

LondonBlonde

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:24 pm

In early December 2007, the BIA issued a provisional indication of what they intend to implement in Tier 1 of the new PBS. One cannot perhaps be certain until it is finalised, but their plans suggest that HSMP criteria will largely remain intact in Tier 1 (General), with the exception that the MBA provision will be eliminated.
AG

andy2007

Post by andy2007 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi LondonBlonde,

One query:
I got EC last week. If I go to UK and rules change in March then I suppose the rules for flr will also change. So in my case, during FLR, will I be assessed as per new rules after 2 years? Or even if new rules come in March, during FLR I will be assesed as per old rules because I got EC as per old rules.?

Please guide me on this. Thanks
Andy

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:09 pm

You will be assessed as per the rules existing at the time you apply for your flr irrespective of when you got your HSMP/EC.

zmanzoor
Newly Registered

Post by zmanzoor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Check out the following link

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... s/pbsdocs/

View the "Points based system - tier 1 statement of intent" PDF
it outlines the changes in HSMP...

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:48 am

andy2007 wrote:Hi LondonBlonde,

One query:
I got EC last week. If I go to UK and rules change in March then I suppose the rules for flr will also change. So in my case, during FLR, will I be assessed as per new rules after 2 years? Or even if new rules come in March, during FLR I will be assesed as per old rules because I got EC as per old rules.?

Please guide me on this. Thanks
Andy
Andy, this is the problem. The rules can be changed at any time. And yes, if you don't meet the new criterea at the time you apply for flr then you might be sent home.

It's not all bad. You will have an idea of what is likely to change even before it happens. The income level you secure while here is very important. As is your ability to stay employed without gaps, etc.

LondonBlonde

urbanmaximus
Newly Registered

Re: HSMP New Rules

Post by urbanmaximus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:34 pm

LondonBlonde wrote: Ya, no one knows for sure what the new requirements will be. Everyone is hoping that conditions for tier 1 will be the same as current HSMP criterea. However recent news on this has been a bit discouraging.

Tier 3 has already been closed to extensions. This is quite bad for Work Permit holders. They may not be able to extend under the new points system. IE - could very well be sent home after years of service to UK companies.

LondonBlonde
Why is it bad for work permit holders? Dont work permit holders fall under Tier 2?

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:22 pm

Current work permit holders may or may not fall under PBS tier 2 at the time of their extensions. Depends on whether their employer is or is not eligible to become a PBS "sponsor". Also may depend on things such as NVQ3 skill level, the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT), and regularly updated lists of shortage occupations.

Although a work permit holder might be the long-term and employer-favoured incumbent in a particular job position, that doesn't mean other UK and EU applicants are not interested in taking their job away. Remember, it's British/EU/EEA jobs for British/EU/EEA nationals.

PBS sponsorship details at this early stage are still rather sketchy. Best place to start reading and researching is the link provided in zmanzoor's post (Above). Especially the section titled, 'Sponsorship in the Points Based System.'

Hopefully we will soon be learning more about the sponsorship programme, including which requirements an employer AND an incumbent employee have to meet in order to qualify under Tier 2.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:07 pm

Haing read the pdf file "HIGHLY SKILLED MIGRANTS UNDER THE POINTS BASED SYSTEM - STATEMENT OF INTENT" (linked given by zmanzoor), the sentence on page 17 "Settlement - We will introduce a new provision enabling people who have had leave in HSMP to be able to count that time towards the threshold for being able to apply for settlement from Work Permits (Tier 2)", does it mean the time spend under HSMP will be counted towards ILR at the end of 5 years for those HSMPs who might be transferred to Work Permit ?

Kelvin

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Kelvin wrote:Haing read the pdf file "HIGHLY SKILLED MIGRANTS UNDER THE POINTS BASED SYSTEM - STATEMENT OF INTENT" (linked given by zmanzoor), the sentence on page 17 "Settlement - We will introduce a new provision enabling people who have had leave in HSMP to be able to count that time towards the threshold for being able to apply for settlement from Work Permits (Tier 2)", does it mean the time spend under HSMP will be counted towards ILR at the end of 5 years for those HSMPs who might be transferred to Work Permit ?

Kelvin
At this point it means that those on HSMP who shifted to WP under transitional arrangments on account of not meeting 75 points, would be able to count the initial years under HSMP towards the 5 years currently required for LTR. This is especially helpful to those at 1+3 stage of HSMP unable to meet the retrospective legislation, they can obtain ILR after 4 years of HSMP followed by 1 year of WP. Of course, now this is just a proposal and may or may not be included in the final tier system.

ram1980
Newly Registered

Post by ram1980 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:54 am

Hiya

How much sure that it is introduced on march?

Because Minister announced Count Down of Less than 100 days on 5/12/2007

100 days from that date is 14th March More over he said less than 100 days. That means 14th march is the last possible date of rule change it may happen even before

and last time if you remember they have suspended current scheme for 30 days before they implement new one. Hence even if they plan to implement this on March 1, We can expect suspension of present scheme from february 1

I am really scared now because I need to submit my extension application. I am short of one bank statement that I will recieve only near January 30

But I can pass even without that bank statement because my even if that Dec month salary is not counted I can pass by remaining earnings

As of now I am having earning proofs like this

1. Letter from employer stating my total gross income between Jan 2007 and Dec 2007 (Monthly break up for earning is not there in that letter)

2. All wageslips between Jan 2007 and Dec 2007

3. I have bankstatements from Jan 2007 to Nov 2007. December one is yet to come

( My earning between January 2007 to Nov 2007 is enough for me to pass)

What will you advice Can I apply without that bank statement tomorrow or wait for that till Jan 30th and apply?

I am really scared about new rules to be implemented any time because if that is implemented I may fail in English language requirement ( I am just having exactly 6.0 band in that)

indian234

Post by indian234 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 am

If you are having sufficient documentation, apply immediately. This is the right time for you to apply.

regards

immigrationboards
Newly Registered

Post by immigrationboards » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:17 pm

zmanzoor wrote:Check out the following link

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... s/pbsdocs/

View the "Points based system - tier 1 statement of intent" PDF
it outlines the changes in HSMP...
It don't mention Bachelor Degree to be exempt IELTS,
do this arrangement will be cancel?

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:22 pm

what? did they really suspend the previous scheme for a month before the new one? that's terrible. any indication if that will happen again?

ram1980
Newly Registered

Post by ram1980 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:31 pm

pyke wrote:what? did they really suspend the previous scheme for a month before the new one? that's terrible. any indication if that will happen again?
Yes the present scheme was active from Dec 6 2006

it was announced on Nov 8th 2006 and everything was suspended till Dec 6th

So if they are about to introduce new scheme on March, there are some possibility of suspension of prsent scheme from february, may be even from January end

This is is only a chance , may be they may introduce the new scheme directly without any suspension period unlike before

anisha.lobo
Newly Registered

Post by anisha.lobo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi,

I got my HSMP approval on 18th Dec while in UK and am coming to India in Feb to apply for my EC.

I read your posts and am wondering how will my case be treated ??
I'll be there in india for 1 month , will they stop processing EC's during the period in which the rules are being changed?

any replies will be much appreciated.

thanks
anisha.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:11 pm

If I may, we have posted a series of articles on the changeover. Some of the questions asked here have been answered in them. We are also researching and getting ready to post more articles on the UK's new Tier system, which we are updating almost daily in the UK section of our website.

One (of several) items that will change, Tier 1 and Tier 2 English language requirements will become more rigorous. People will now have to demonstrate & document proficiency.

Transitional arrangements are being planned, but the details on them have not been published yet. We are trying to get an article up with what we know, and we will be updating our points calculators as soon as possible.

• UK - Scoring points under the UK's new immigration system
17 January 2008

• New UK immigration points based system section at workpermit.com
10 January 2008

• UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme to be Replaced
08 January 2008

• UK - Migrants could get easier access to highly skilled jobs
03 January 2008

• UK Home Secretary outlines new points based system
06 December 2007

the Admin

ram1980
Newly Registered

Post by ram1980 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi Admin,
Do you have any information about when this new scheme will be introduced roughly and when the current scheme will be suspended?

I am going to apply for HSMP extension on January 30th. waiting for a document

So scared about this rule change

Is there is any information about current scheme wont be suspended within the month of January?

Many thanks

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:14 pm

The government has so far refused to announce exact dates. So far we know that Tier 1 will replace HSMP "in March."

Tier 2 will come "after" that (estimates are between one and three months).

Tier 3 is "suspended indefinitely."

Tiers 4 and 5 will probably come during the Fall.

The entire system will be in place "before" the end of the year.

Yes. these answers are making us crazy, too. But they are the best ones that we have as of the end of last week. So far, no news releases that we know of today. :?

the Admin

ram1980
Newly Registered

Post by ram1980 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi Admin,
Many thanks for your prompt reply. One more question please

I am so scared about rule change only because of English requirement

As of now I have IELTS 6.0, I am sure that it wont be sufficient under new rules

apart from that I have Bachelore Degree (UK equivalent) taught in english

Does the Bachelor degree taught in english certificate is still accepted in new system (for HSMP extention)? Please kindly clarify

if that is there then my worry will be reduced , please clarify

many thanks

sbrennan

Post by sbrennan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:49 am

Tier 2 is expected to go into effect during the third quarter of 2008.

As for your English, one of the requirements currently is:

Have taken a degree taught in English (this is verified by using the National Academic Recognition Information Centre data)

Of course, all of this is subject to change, but it may be worth contacting NARIC if you think it will help.

Also, there is some indication that if you have previously complied with immigration conditions (I assume being granted HSMP already would qualify), then lower English language will not automatically disqualify you. Please read the documents that someone linked to earlier, especially this one (PDF file), for more information (page 17 to be exact). It's wonderfully vague, however.

Good luck.

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:02 am

Is the IELTS requirement going to be compulsory for spouse also according to the new rules. I didnot find any mention of this in the letter of intent but I read it on bbc website that as per the new rules even dependants (such as spouse's )will also have to give a proof of english competence through IELTS or any other means

Is this true ? Does anybody have any info about this?

unileeds

Post by unileeds » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am

will it be possible to switch from an HSMp (only intial approval and 1st FLR) to a PBS Tier 1 (make a new application effectively)? Dont really like transitional arrangements and things like that.